Old 10-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Snowy Owl
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-022
New in NW Washington State

We have just started looking around to see what suits us. We currently own a Seasport 24 Explorer. I'm not fishing much anymore and my wife and I both like cruising. That is what we have been using the Seasport for.

While the Seasport is very seaworthy, there is not that much room. In theory it sleeps four. The reality is that is sleeps two and a child. We would like to be able to take adult children and spouses along.

The Seasport is a planing boat, 23 knots. We don't need the speed, but we enjoy the trip and the scenery. It seems like the trip is over too fast when we cruise.

This leads us to consider a trawler or tug. The Nordics, except for some of the used 26 footers are out of our price range, but the 26 seems too small. There seems to be a good selection of trawlers in the 36 foot range that would fit our budget of under 100k.

We have also looked at some of the Bayliners in the 32 to 37 foot range, but I'm not sure that's our style.

We are looking forward to researching our options and the wisdom here at Trawler Forum. It looks like a great resource.

Bill
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If I were looking at trawlers, with a 100K budget, I'd be looking at a well kept 1970's to 1980's TT, or TT variant.

Choose the style and size you want, then find the very best maintained one you can find.

Lots of brands out there, too many to mention. Lots of great boats, and allot of neglected junk as well.

Do you know what style you like, ie aft cabin, europa, pilothouse, etc...
Are you set on 36' or is that a number you guessed at as being "big enough".
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If you like the tri cabin arrangement both the Monk and Grand Banks 36'ers can be had in that price range and many of the ones I looked at where well kept. The Monks have less exterior wood. Plenty of room for company.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
Welcome aboard! Shopping is lots of fun. You will find lots of boats. Check on moorage prices as another variable. Under 40' is usually a big difference. Prices seem to jump a lot when you go between 36' and 45'. This is my boat neighbors boat. I love the dinghy picture. It says a lot about having a trawler. He Just replaced the Lehman and it is kept undercover in Everett. Take your time and enjoy. We went from a 24' boat to our current boat. All expenses are exponentially higher but it is awesome and there is nothing better than being on the water in the evening when all of the trailer boats are headed home!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...s#.UmLJhDK9KSN
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Bayliner, Carver, and other production boats may offer exactly what you're looking for- the ability to go slow and enjoy the scenery, or put a bit of power to it to get where you need to go.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Suggestions

For that much you can look at a Tollycraft with lots of extra left over. They are a planing boat capable of 24-25 knots but trawl well. There are a few with diesels in that price range as well that would make a great boat. Infact you might get lucky and find a 40+ in that range if your patient.

Looks nice, solid boat and well within your price range.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.UmLVoPmsim4

Another solid boat, probably get it within reach...
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...s#.UmLWEfmsim4
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I just made an almost identical switch from a Bayliner 24 to a 30' trawler. In all honesty, the 24 was better equipped for sleeping guests. My trawler is more like my home and I am careful not to have too many guests on board for too long. For entertaining, 30-32' is too constraining for more than a couple of other people on board. Two couples is comfortable for a couple of days, then it's time for them to leave :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
$100K will get you a 32' Nordic Tug. Seems to be the bottom of the pit so a good survey would be in order. I like the 32 Nordic very much. Yup very much.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #9

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
$100K will get you a 32' Nordic Tug. Seems to be the bottom of the pit so a good survey would be in order. I like the 32 Nordic very much. Yup very much.
I like them too, but not really conducive to overnight adult guests. $100K should get the OP a very well cared for 36' Aft cabin style trawler..... Much better option for overnight guests IMO.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard. Lots of good advice given already, so I will not add my two cents. I will say that my 36' aft cabin trawler suits me very well.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
My best friend drives a Nordic Tug 32, and finds two couples (including themselves) to be a full load. He also finds the passages too narrow and with too much up and down. Just opinions.. his and mine.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
We recently acquired a Grand Banks 36 and have found the layout quite nice for 2 couples. Plenty of separation space, great walk arounds and a wonderful Flybridge. Ours is nicely outfitted and in very good condition for a 1974. We are very happy with the choice.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
We recently acquired a Grand Banks 36 and have found the layout quite nice for 2 couples. Plenty of separation space, great walk arounds and a wonderful Flybridge. Ours is nicely outfitted and in very good condition for a 1974. We are very happy with the choice.
Since I have a 1973 Gulfstar 36 I was curious as to what the differences might be between my boat and your boat. So googled it, and came up with pictures. Nice looking boat! But the really interesting thing is that there is one in the slip right next to me in the marina! I had been wondering what it was, and now I know. :-) Sadly neglected, but clearly a GB 36.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Snowy Owl
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-022
Thanks all for the welcome and thoughts. The current plan is to charter a GB 36 for a week this coming summer to make sure we really like a trawler. Right now we will get on the wait list for a 40 foot slip.

If we really like it, we will start the serious search. We are not stuck on a Grand Banks but will consider any boat that meets our needs.

My winter project, a small one, is to get the low hours Seasport ready for sale in the spring.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #15

City: PNW
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
I might be interested in your seasport....what power? Price guess?
dbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Willie, saw your in B.town. There is a broker that works through NW Exploration that really went the extra mile for my wife and I. So much that we put together a thoughtful gift for him after he helped me pilot our first large boat back to B.town for us. I'd be happy to share with you his contact info. Also often should you purchase through a local brokerage sometimes they have ways of finding slips in the marina for you. Just a thought. We're in a 36 and there are some openings there.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote