Old 11-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #1
RAD

City: Perth Western Australia
New Member from Perth Western Australai

Hello Everyone my name is Robin. I am 65 years of age and are now semi retired from my Architectural Design business. I have joined this forum as I have now decided to purchase a GB 55' Alaskan, price and availability permitting, and thought it would be most prudent to seek advice from those who know as I have not owned a large vessel previously. I have admired the 55' Alaskan greatly over the years and are now saving my pennies to be able to get one. I will want to undertake some alterations on the vessel, however, I am finding it very difficult to acquire any existing layouts, profile drawings or brochures online or indeed anywhere. GB or even their representatives in Australia don't seem to be very helpful either. Has anyone got any suggestions of where I may try? Thank you, Merry Christmas and fair weather sailing to you all. I hope to join you on the water in about 2 years, regards Robin.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:10 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. For some cursory info and layouts maybe check out Power Boat Guide. Not in depth details but some place to start. Yachtworld is another place to look if there happen to be any for sale. However their website is not as easy to navigate as it used to be. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:31 AM   #3
RAD

Thank you for your response. I'll look at Power Boat Guide now. Also, I agree Yacht world isn't what it use to be is it. Regards Robin.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome Aboard Robin. I suspect the GB55 Alaskan may be a rarity in Australia. No longer built it appears,a pilothouse seems a priority, you may need to widen your search, but it`s early days.
To my knowledge, we have just one Australian TF member associated with a larger GB, a 52. You`ll have seen the Aleutian for sale (POA), seems that`s as close as it gets for now. Good luck with your enquiries and search.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
RAD

Yes, I think you are right. No chance of getting a 55' in Australia and an Aleutian is beyond my budget unfortunately. The problem I see is "Can you put a Wooden Hull vessel, bought overseas, on a Boat and transport it to Australia or does this way of transportation cause drying out problems with the Hull". Thank you for your comments, BruceK. Regards Robin.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
wood hull and exterior teak? No thanks.
I suspect you can better boat closer to you
Old 11-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #7

City: Spring Hill, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: Great Harbour TT35 customized by American Boatworks
G'day Robin:

"Can you put a Wooden Hull vessel, bought overseas, on a Boat and transport it to Australia or does this way of transportation cause drying out problems with the Hull?"

I would imagine (based on my experience forty years ago with two dried-out, leaky, unsafe wood hulls) that drying out could be one of several problems associated with ship-transporting an old large wooden hull to Australia.

You've got guts wanting to buy an older wood hull. I'm with Old Dan; if I wanted to throw my time and money overboard, I'd buy an old wood hull boat.

But my opinion is based largely upon my age, which is the same as yours. A younger me had the time and energy to spend on maintenance and refit. It was fun! Now I prefer to spend my "boat time" cruising.

Cheers and Good Luck,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 11-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #8

City: Cairns
Given the current insurance climate can you insure your choice once it arrives in Australia?
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
Guru

Sadly Robin, posts regarding importing a large older wooden boat are correct. The last Alaskan for sale I remember was in Qld, at about $300,000, and took years to sell. Online boating sites like www.boatsonline.com.au at boats 50ft>, will show what is available and how they are configured.
There are some large Island Gypsy boats (of Halvorsen origin),sometimes with pilothouse(PH), which are attractive, but one I saw in Sydney being repaired after sinking was built of meranti. Their interiors are stunning, a spiral staircase connects the decks. Later ones may be fibreglass.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:21 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard, mate. I agree with the previous posts. Don't do it. I understand there IS a domestic (AUS) market for used timber vessels. Given the variety of numerous potential problems with importing, you might be better to spend your pennies on customizing a more readily available boat.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Plenty of good timber boats getting around in Oz, no need to bring one in.
Probably more robust build as well.
But have you got any good timber guys in Perth?
That's a question you should get an answer to first.

Oh and welcome. (-;
Old 11-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #12
RAD

Hello Everyone. Thank you for your valuable comments. I have a lot to consider. It just may be that the GB 55' will have to be replaced with something else that is available more readily in AUS. Thanks again Regards Robin.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #13

City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 37 Sedan
There’s an old 49’ Alaskan for sale in Alaska, might have a similar layout if a bit smaller:

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/bo...85-boatid=2890

If you want a pilothouse boat with a similar layout in fiberglass you might look at a Defever. The Defever 49 was essentially a GB Alaskan in fiberglass (Art Defever designed the GB Alaskan) and there are some larger versions out there.
BlueMoon1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon1975 View Post
Thereís an old 49í Alaskan for sale in Alaska, might have a similar layout if a bit smaller:

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/bo...85-boatid=2890

If you want a pilothouse boat with a similar layout in fiberglass you might look at a Defever. The Defever 49 was essentially a GB Alaskan in fiberglass (Art Defever designed the GB Alaskan) and there are some larger versions out there.
Ah....the Perth in question is in Australia. Were you aware of that..?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #15

Yes I was aware of that. OP was inquiring about the layout of the boat and that listing has a lot of photos and I thought it might be helpful.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon1975 View Post
Yes I was aware of that. OP was inquiring about the layout of the boat and that listing has a lot of photos and I thought it might be helpful.
OK. ☝️ Good thought that.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #17
Guru

To be fair, I`m not entirely sure Perth, or "Western Australia" generally, is still "in Australia". We still can`t go there, and if the OP came to the east, I`m unsure he could return.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:32 AM   #18
RAD

Thanks Guys. I'll definitely have a look at the Defevers and the Alaskan site has plenty of photos to for me to browse over. Thank you both. I was unaware that Defever designed the Alaskans. I had always assumed Tony Fleming had designed them before he left and started Fleming Yachts. BK I think you have a devious sense of humor which I am just starting to appreciate. I'm beginning to think our Premier in WA is a secret secessionist. Thanks again, Regards Robin.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #19

In case youíre interested, here is a nice summary of a lot of Defever designs:

https://www.defevercruisers.com/defever_designs.asp
Old 11-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #20
RAD

Thanks BM75. I am really interested in the Defevers. I had a quick look this afternoon and I think you have solved my problem. Great vessels and some at a very affordable price. Regards Robin.