Hello This is my first Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hog Wild

Vessel Name
Hog wild
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader
Hello everyone. I just sold my 41 foot SeaWolf and bought a
Marine Trader 34 1976.
I am going to need a lot of advice. The aft ribs are rotted the aft deck is staging. I would like advice on how to remove the water tanks?
I think I have to fix the ribs first?

Hello everyone. I just sold my 41 foot SeaWolf and bought a
Marine Trader 34 1976.
I am going to need a lot of advice. The aft ribs are rotted the aft deck is staging. I would like advice on how to remove the water tanks?
I think I have to fix the ribs first?

I have the same boat. I removed have removed my water tanks twice. Once for swim platform maintenance and once because one started leaking. I was lucky enough that my tanks fit up through the hatch, I have heard from some that their tanks were slightly larger than the hatch.

The first time I removed them my boat was shrink wrapped so I used a ratchet strap from the shrink wrap framing to pull them up, the second time I just used a couple saw horses across the opening with a board between and a ratchet strap.

For my boat this required dismantling the steering, removing the rudder and rudder shaft.

I have pictures of this and some of my other maintenance/repair projects on my Instagram - mv-luna-c

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Where are the water tanks? Can they be removed in conjunction with your aft deck beam repairs?

Welcome aboard. I would probably remove the tanks and then repair the rotten wood. Having the tanks out may give you more room and better access to the area.

Thank you very much for responding. Since I've been down there milling around. I've discovered that my fiberglass deck is just as rotten as my wood deck. So I believe I'm going to take the entire deck off rebuild the structure underneath.
Because that whole structure is all rotten as well. I hope to leave the rudder in place. I am going to try to rig it so I don't have to take it out. But the steering cable and mechanism are going to have to go.

I hope so that's what I believe. I'm going to try to do.

I agree completely. It's probably what I'm going to do.

Greetings,
Mr. HW. Not to rain on your enthusiasm but such an extensive repair may well cost you 2X to 5X what you estimate in $$ and take you 2X to 5X+ in time. In any case, feel free to ask questions and best of success.

Thank you very much for your comments. I realize that it's quite an undertaking. And I probably will be asking for advice for sure. Although I have no budget for time or money Mostly that I just want to get it done, correct. I am doing all the work myself , hopefully buying the material As I go might ease the pain a little.

Welcome to the TF!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom