Today: Independence Day in Mexico!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Seem to be several TF'ers either in or on their way to Ensenada. September 16th is independence day in Mexico and a big holiday. In on September 16th 1810, a Catholic Missionary gave a rousing speech declaring the oppressive rule of Spain, who had occupied and subjegated Mexicans for over 300 years, must end. It lit the fuse for a revolution that lasted 10-years, culminating in Mexico's independence.

In Ensenada, it coincides with the Baja 400, part of the SCORE championship offroad series. There are at least a half-dozen offroad races each year starting in Ensenada, the most famous being the Baja 500 and Baja 1000. Untill 1972 or so, there was no paved roads south of Ensenada - La Paz is over 800 miles away. Cabo San Lucas was barely a fishing village until the early 1980s, so the Baja Desert was definitely no-mans-land.

I counted about 200 vehicles for the pre-course run today. The actual course varies each year and is not disclosed until just a couple days ahead of the event. I watched a few of the drivers interviewed, most of whom are US-based. They love racing in Baja because its such a popular sport here. On guy mentioned he just came from a race from Laz Vegas to Reno where only the participants were around. Here, fans line the course in the open desert and cheer. Much different environment.

We'll walk down to a brew-pub downtown later this afternoon (Wendlandt downtown, judged the best beer in Mexico a few years ago - Baja is ground-zero for Mexico's brewery scene). Wendlandt also has some fantastic ceviche. Guessing things will be a bit crazy tonight, though not for us.

Peter

This is the "Check-In" station, which is really a chance for SCORE reporters (the official race-sanctioning body) briefly interview each participant. The race will be run tomorrow morning, with motorcycles first off the block, followed by the open-class trucks like this. The driver in this vehicle is second-generation. His dad ran his first Baja race in 1979. I remember the days when motor-racing was a family affair.

Grandstand CHeck-in.jpg

Typical open-class pick-up type runner. I believe these are the fastest vehicles, but there are several classes.

Lined-up.jpg

Note the Starlink antenna on this one.

Starlink on Baja.jpg

When I was about 9 or 10, all I wanted for Christmas was a gas-powered model of a Baja Bug. You still see them in Baja, some nicely restored. There must still be a class in these races.

Original Baja Bug class.jpg

Our favorite street-food place for carnitas is about 3-blocks from our apartment, and happens to be near the festival area for the race. Here a woman cuts purple onions while chunks of pork shoulder cook in the caultron.

Carnitas Cooking.jpg

Street musicians are common. Frequentl a trio dressed in the same Mexican clothes, they move from restaurant to restaurant, play three songs, pass the hat (sombrero?) and move on to the next restaurant. Here, a full mariachi band with about 12 musicians plays and are quite good.

Traditional Mariachi Band.jpg

Finally, we stopped by a small fish-monger store that is known for getting fish right off the boat each morning. To give some idea, one day we stopped and he had no fresh fish because it was windy the day before and the boats did not go out.

Fish Monger.jpg

¡Felicidades! :dance:I'm envious. We will be making our semi-annual passage to Puerto Vallarta next month; by airplane, unfortunately.

The speeds of the trophy trucks running the desert and the sophistication of the suspension is amazing. The tires are only in contact with the ground about 20% of the time in the rough stuff at over 100mph. Fun to watch!

Did not realize the race was still being run. Only one day? I recall it being much longer. Anyhow around 1973 a paved highway was completed from Tijuana to La Paz. Much less jaw jarring. We drove it that year then took the overnight ferry to Mazitlan. Quite an experience.

Back
Top Bottom