Counting cruise ships....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: We were just out messing around today, my hubby and 10 females, oh poor man. :lol: Not! Lucky man. :rofl:

As kids did you ever ride on trips and count horses or cars or something? Well, we just felt a need to have a contest of who could see another cruise ship first. We counted 31 just sitting around in South Florida to Bahamas area. I'm sure we missed some. You just wonder how many crew still aboard and how long they're going to see and then just occasionally run away and back. A whole lot of big boats with no where to to. :nonono:

The Norwegian Bliss and the Norwegian Encore passed by our house recently in the Öresund, on their way to Copenhagen. Local press says that this move is taking place because it's cheaper for NCL to store these ships in the Copenhagen vicinity than in the Caribbean, at the moment. Kind of hard to believe anything is "cheaper" in Copenhagen!

Picture is from the local newspaper, Sydsvenskan

OgGz_DTbEV8hSIP-WFPBMHzmIIA.jpg

Last edited:
On the bright side, imagine how great those disgusting monstrosities are going to be as artificial reefs? Hopefully, the cost of cleaning them and removing all harmful fluids before they are sunk will be paid out of the bankruptcy settlements from the cruise lines, but more likely that will fall on the shoulders of the US taxpayer. Even though they aren't US based companies.

There is a flotilla in Manila Bay, many were cruising in Australia and NZ. Not too far, ready to cruise again...but when? Not this little black duck, not yet, maybe never.

Picture is from the local newspaper, Sydsvenskan

Wow. I'd forgotten how ugly those things are. I used to like cruise ships, but that photo may force me to reconsider.

Wow. I'd forgotten how ugly those things are.
:thumb:

Three in a row, travelling half mile wide passages, in waters which so many on here claim to be among the finest anywhere, is a grotesque sight.
https://goo.gl/maps/a58mbJCDqvuEW3Pe8

But, like Starbucks, we have been convinced we are lesser, if not addicted to it and must be grateful for the jobs created by the generation of 200 tons of garbage weekly.

They are only slightly more majestic than this:
https://youtu.be/vzgabAhzDYM

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine that this will be a viable industry for the next several years. Several have cruise ships in various states of construction. That has to be painful..

:thumb:

Three in a row, travelling half mile wide passages, in waters which so many on here claim to be among the finest anywhere, is a grotesque sight.
https://goo.gl/maps/a58mbJCDqvuEW3Pe8

But, like Starbucks, we have been convinced we are lesser, if not addicted to it and must grateful for the jobs created by the generation of 200 tons of garbage weekly.

They are only slightly more majestic than this:
https://youtu.be/vzgabAhzDYM

Are you suggesting that the 200 tons of trash would not have been created if the passengers stayed home? Or would it just have been created in their places of residence.......

The antidote to big, ugly cruise ships...

star-flyer_home.jpg

Starclippers.com

No affiliation, just a VERY satisfied customer!

My count has been zero this year. I usually 5-10 per day go by.

I'm not personally affected, as I have never desired to go on one. It's merely novel to see the lights go by at night. I'm sure the coastal communities of Alaska and the dockworkers in Vancouver are feeling the pain as there are usually 300 to 400 visits in the season.

I could see them repurposed as housing or resorts, just maybe not in more developed countries. Think Queen Elizabeth/Sewise University Hong Kong. Maybe there will be more fires. :)

The antidote to big, ugly cruise ships...

Starclippers.com

No affiliation, just a VERY satisfied customer!

Yep, us too. We've been on all three originals, hoping to do a crossing on the new one if that ever gets itself sorted out.

-Chris

Those horizontal floating hotel megaships are revolting and hideous for sure, but they're not all hideous. Waiting for the day we can take another ride on our favorite. But then it's an ocean liner, not a cruise ship.

QM2.jpg

To me a typical cruise has all the appeal of spending an entire week at a shopping mall that has a hotel attached the week before Xmas. Except the hotel rooms are smaller.

That said, some of the cruise ships are impressive feats of engineering.

Last edited:
Those horizontal floating hotel megaships are revolting and hideous for sure, but they're not all hideous. Waiting for the day we can take another ride on our favorite. But then it's an ocean liner, not a cruise ship.

The QM2 sure is a nice-looking boat. From the front anyway. Not sure about her transom though. I read once why they added that rounded thing, but it still doesn't look right to me.

Wifey B: We counted 31 just sitting around in South Florida to Bahamas area... big boats with no where to go.

When I first saw that the cruise lines were anchoring their now-silent ships in that area, I wondered if they hoped that hurricanes would sink their ships so that they could collect the insurance.

In other words, why the heck are so many in THAT area?

Cheers and Stay Safe,
Mrs. Trombley

When I first saw that the cruise lines were anchoring their now-silent ships in that area, I wondered if they hoped that hurricanes would sink their ships so that they could collect the insurance.

In other words, why the heck are so many in THAT area?

Cheers and Stay Safe,
Mrs. Trombley

Wifey B: Because this is where they were and consider their home although by no means their legal or tax home. Their last passenger delivery was here and then they just moved out and anchored. Many are anchored around islands they own in the Bahamas. :D

When the fuel bill reads in Tons per hour , the assets are best left where they can be monitored and hopefully put back in service.

To me a typical cruise has all the appeal of spending an entire week at a shopping mall that has a hotel attached the week before Xmas. Except the hotel rooms are smaller.

Agreed. I've always thought of it like paying a ton of money to be on a boat, but they're making it as much like you're not on a boat as possible.

Wow. I'd forgotten how ugly those things are. I used to like cruise ships, but that photo may force me to reconsider.

So are many recreational vessels, like ugly.

They're more enjoyable and comfortable than crossing oceans on a recreational (toy) boat.

Anyone in the market for a big boat: Carnival is selling 18 of their cruise ships. That’s 12% of their fleet if I read the article correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom