Anchor tip, bring one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
One fine day we get held up below the Coffeeville Lock for a 24-hour lock maintenance. Am anchored bow and stern just outside a line of buoys on the RDB when these two guys "delivering" a 30-something cruiser arrive from astern and upon discovering the delay from me, inform us they got no anchor and can they borrow something. I hand them a lunch hook and a 100 feet of nylon in a milk crate. Next morning, well before the 24-hours are up, the lock calls and says get here fast and we won't have to wait the commercial tow on the nearby sandbar. We are all a--- and elbows securing from cooking breakfast and getting all systems running and trying to retrieve two anchors when I look up and see the other vessel's bow overhanging me on my fantail and one of the dudes handing me the anchor and rode to pile on top on all the other confusion back there. Sheesh, he coulda waited and checked when this could have been done more conveniently, like right after the lock maybe? No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Anchors, don't leave home without em. :banghead:

Obviously a very professional delivery captain...

Anchorless, I would have asked to tie up to your boat, or just muddled around in the neighborhood if the wait wasn't hours long.

At least you got it back!:thumb:

I bet if those two had hit the throttles on the other side of the lock trying vamoose with my small anchor, the boat would have stopped in a state of mechanical shock. :) Couple of good ol' boys doing some friend a "favor."

Back
Top Bottom