New Fleming 85 hull, designed by Norman Wright, Queensland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southern Boater

Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 46
I was watching the newest Fleming Yachts promo video on their new 85, and they state the hull was drawn by the naval architects at Norman Wright.
It must be a huge accolade to be involved with such a successful and admired vessel brand.
Impressive footage of the boat slicing a sizeable swell in the video.

Do you have one on order???

I’d be happy with an early model 55 :)

Very plain to see the general appearance of the 85 is basically an inflated 55, but why would you mess with a perfect formula (no pun intended CD ;) )

These guys posted about buying one, but then have gone quiet;

This video was 11 months ago, but I remembered watching it.

Not being a Queenslander,I thought Norman Wright were boat builders from past days, but no, a very active designer and builder to this day. Being chosen to design the Fleming 85 is a significant achievement. Here`s their website which tells their enviable history and current endeavors:
https://www.wrightsons.com.au/

Not being a Queenslander,I thought Norman Wright were boat builders from past days, but no, a very active designer and builder to this day.

[SNIP]

I was surprised at how many recent commercial vessels they have built too.

Not being a Queenslander,I thought Norman Wright were boat builders from past days, but no, a very active designer and builder to this day. Being chosen to design the Fleming 85 is a significant achievement. Here`s their website which tells their enviable history and current endeavors:
https://www.wrightsons.com.au/

Thanks for the link Bruce, I also imagined a small local yard, but clearly not.
One of the family members has relocated to northern Tasmania in the last few years and keeps his magnificent (needless to say) launch/yacht at the local marina.

I’ve just been looking through their videos, and the last one, eight months ago, she said they are between boats, so assume the 65 has a new owner and they are waiting for the 85.
The South African lady partner seems a very determined, well organised person. Great to see these folk investing in an excellent and enviable lifestyle.

The 85 is their second design for Fleming. They also did the 58 a few years ago.

Eleven years ago when my boat was damaged when being loaded in Vancouver for shipping to Brisbane the repairs were completed by Norman Wright, with insurance paying. At that time they were still in the Bulimba yard but had already established their presence down river at Rivergate as well. Needless to say, the repairs were to a very high standard, there have been zero issues with anything they worked on.

I was watching the newest Fleming Yachts promo video on their new 85, and they state the hull was drawn by the naval architects at Norman Wright.
It must be a huge accolade to be involved with such a successful and admired vessel brand.
Impressive footage of the boat slicing a sizeable swell in the video.

Has Norman Wright not also done some other Flemings as well? 58?

Enjoyed the video. The 85 still has the lovely lines of the Fleming and looks lovely.

(Seeing the 85 lying next to the 65, I have to say that I prefer the big aft deck of the 65.)

For the 58 doubters, link to Fleming's website.

You will note that 1/12 scale model was tested in Tasmania as part of the design process.

https://www.flemingyachts.com/model/Fleming-58

Interesting link Brian, thanks.

The maritime college’s tank testing facility has been used numerous times for other interesting designs, usually commercial vessels of course.

It makes sense now that with the Norman Wright family member now residing nearby the college, and their involvement with new designs and builds, access to the testing tank would be important.

We adore the Flemings. We are based in Sidney, BC Canada, where Flemings are based. There are always a dozen or so of various sizes at our marina, and they are truly spectacular.

Short of winning a BIG lottery however, Fleming ownership will always elude us...

I'd betcha, like all Fiemings, it will have wonderful covered side decks!

Back
Top Bottom