Old 09-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #81

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
i'm with Dhays; got several; some people collect things... watch guys love watches. Yeah I have a smart phone too but with the phone i have to pull it out of my pocket, wake it up, and if I want tide info, I have to punch several buttons to get to it whereas the H&G i just glance in a fraction of a second. Other than my hook & gaff, for diving if i'm not using my wrist dive computer, I use a Luminox navy seal watch.

Name:  luminox.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  20.7 KB

sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #82
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
My 70ís era GMT Master, living out it life on a Timex stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18A7F23C-5819-4E3C-BD1F-C8CC65843F5F.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	107852  

Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #83

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
...I also have a couple Russian Vostoks. These are fantastic little atuomatic dive watches that are very cheap, and very rugged. All of them are great watches for the boat.
I have the zissou Vostok with the black face. It's a great conversation starter. The loose crown scared me for a bit until i found documentation that it's loose by design!
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach FL
Vessel Name: Winterlude
Vessel Model: 2005 Hampton 558
I bring along a living watch. It does not tell me the time, just that I am late and I should hurry up!
RLKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #85

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
It took me a long time to find this one. My criteria were that it be an analog watch, quartz movement, no battery changes, day as well as date, proper unidirectional bezel, waterproof, and NOT huge. In my work as a nurse I do 12 hour shifts in a 5 week rotation schedule, so I really need the day and date feature! Digital watches are no good for measuring a patient's heartbeat or respiratory rate, thus the analog. I use the bezel all day long for timing infusions and procedures, and to tell me when my break is over. I also use the bezel on the boat to mark times that I will later record in the log.

Strangely, there are a ton of automatic day-dates but very few solars with that feature. This thing is accurate to a couple of seconds a month. Yeah, I'm funny that way.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #86

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Balloon - MahNa MahNa; Boat - Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Balloon - Thunder and Colt 90A; Boat - Atlas Acadia 25
I have two wrist watches. My favorite is my Yes Watch. The one I find I wear the most is my Garmin Fenix 5.

Name:	YES-Watch-Equilibrium-15.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	107861

Name:	Fenix-5-plus-Serie.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	107860
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #87
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
In business and life in general... My wife and I "Watch" each other.

We always run our time on the "JITZ"... making sure we are on time for everything!

JITZ = Just In Time Zone to accomplish all needs - On Time!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #88
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
My submariner has been the most rugged watch I have ever owned. The band never broke , nor did any other part of it that made the watch not function, which was a major reason I bought it in the first place. Previously I would lose watches at a a rate of about 2 a year from losing them at work, windsurfing, surfing, or whatever. I could not keep a watch from breaking previous to owning a submariner. And I never took it off so I never lost it.
The last straw for me and the Submariner, was leaving it on the nightstand of a hotel (I always take my watch off at night), having to get up and leave really early, forgetting it, and then remembering it two hours later and having to turn around and go back for it, and then having to shake the maids down to get it back.

That and one of my friends getting beat half to death by three guys trying to take his off of him as he walked out of a bar one night, and I began to come to the realization that it was time to leave my Rolex phase (1989 to 1994) behind.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #89
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
It took me a long time to find this one. My criteria were that it be an analog watch, quartz movement, no battery changes, day as well as date, proper unidirectional bezel, waterproof, and NOT huge. In my work as a nurse I do 12 hour shifts in a 5 week rotation schedule, so I really need the day and date feature! Digital watches are no good for measuring a patient's heartbeat or respiratory rate, thus the analog. I use the bezel all day long for timing infusions and procedures, and to tell me when my break is over. I also use the bezel on the boat to mark times that I will later record in the log.

Strangely, there are a ton of automatic day-dates but very few solars with that feature. This thing is accurate to a couple of seconds a month. Yeah, I'm funny that way.

Seiko fills a lot of gaps and is the best bang for the buck for a non smart watch.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #90

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Outbound 46
Have a Rolex submariner. Actually used it for Marian-Bermuda races and we got there with no time penalty :-). But it’s in the safe and don’t wear a watch on the boat. Think watches , jewelry, even rings are a hazard on a boat. Have a solar powered cheap watch we hang up next to the nav station and of course every screen gives you time so think wearing a watch is not necessary as we now snorkel not dive. Do wear the iwatch rowing. Has a good program to follow heart rate, stroke rate and distance.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #91
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopico View Post
Another one in the Seiko club

That is a very nice watch. I tend to stick to the inexpensive Seiko's but the Marine Master is an amazing watch. And while it is expensive, I think it is as good as much more expensive luxury divers.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the seikos and have a good collection of them. The baby tuna is perhaps my favorite (this week)Attachment 107842

Yeah, nice watch. The Tuna was always too big for me but I have considered the baby tuna. I gave my SKX173 to my son, who really likes it, but kept my SKX013. Perfect size.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz View Post
I have the zissou Vostok with the black face. It's a great conversation starter. The loose crown scared me for a bit until i found documentation that it's loose by design!

Yeah, I have the same watch in the blue. It actually is what is on my wrist today. I did change out the bezel as I've never been a fan of the Vostok bezel. I really like the Vostok and have a bunch. I've modded a few of them. One of the them I turned into an Explorer homage. I love the Rolex Explorer, just can't justify the price.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #94
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Lets face it, there are two types of people; those that wear watches and those that don't. It is kind of like the threads where someone asks what type of thrusters poeple use and then you get all the folks that will chime in with how thrusters are unnecessary. Likewise autopilots. So for those that have given up on watches, good for you. Enjoy your tablets, phones, "smart" watches, etc... there are some of us however, that enjoy using a watch.
I don't ever wear a watch, but can appreciate some of the fine timepieces shown.

I also rarely carry a phone. It does teach you how to estimate the time fairly well.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #95
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Yeah, I have the same watch in the blue. It actually is what is on my wrist today. I did change out the bezel as I've never been a fan of the Vostok bezel. I really like the Vostok and have a bunch. I've modded a few of them. One of the them I turned into an Explorer homage. I love the Rolex Explorer, just can't justify the price.

Why is there so much interest in the Vostok watches?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #96
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I'm a Seiko fan too. Oldest is about 18 years
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200915_203747.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	107876  
Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #97

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
I'm not a watch guy but I am a big fan of 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou'.

The Vostok people make a durable watch for a very reasonable price and will create
a custom watch for you which is how the Vostok 'Zissou' model came into being.

I almost bought a new one today but think I'll hold my horses until I can find a used one.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #98

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Balloon - MahNa MahNa; Boat - Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Balloon - Thunder and Colt 90A; Boat - Atlas Acadia 25
Any one tried out one of these. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/58...n/010-01688-40

Garmin Quatix 5 Marine Watch.
Specifically Designed for the Water Connects with compatible Garmin chartplotters and other devices to provide autopilot control≥, remote waypoint marking, data streaming, sail racing assistance and much more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garmin-quatix-5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	107879  
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:

They are kind of quirky. They were designed for the Soviet Military initially. The design philosophy is similar to other soviet equipment; cheap, rugged, reliable. Think of the Vostok as the AK-47 or T-34 of the watch world.

The Vostok Amphibia isnít the most attractive watch. Not the most accurate. It is available in a lot of different designs however and because of its simplicity, is easy to modify.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #100

City: Terrace, BC
Casio Protrek Manaslu PRX-2000T

Solar powered. Has compass and barometer. Time corrects via satellite.

PNW Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote