Racor filter shelf life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my charter boat, I have a Racor 1000. Every day I ran the boat, I filled the tank and then returned to my slip. The next running day, when I checked the engine oil, I checked the Racor to see if I had picked up anything in the bowl. In the course of a season, I could be buying fuel at 4 different locations. More than once I found water. Can't see what you get in your last fuel fill without a bowl.

I admit that my choice of filters, frequency of changing elements, and requirement of a transparent bowl are a hold over from my charter days. I would buy fuel 80 to 100 times per year. Several times per year we would hit bad weather on the way home. If there was anything in the tank, it would be in the Racor by the time I was back in my slip.

The bowls in my Racors are kept clean. Pretty simple to pull 4 bolts, drop the bowl, wipe it clean, replace the gasket, reinstall, and reprime the fuel system. Generally doesn't need to be done each year, but simple when changing filters.

My trawler has a dual Racor system plus progressively smaller micron filters on either side of the lift pump. I haven't heard anyone in this thread claim their filtration works better than mine and I'm not disparaging any other manufacturer's filter media, so I guess it comes down to some people not seeing the value of a fuel bowl. For people with the 2 engine philosophy, I guess it's not that important.

Ted
Ted: we are now of like minds. I enjoyed the discussion.

Ted and CatalinaJack,
Agreed. Whatever works for you, under the circumstances you operate under.

I don't care who makes my fuel filter, but the Racors seem to work and I'm satisfied with that. But I want to comment that on most boats, the fuel pickups are at least 1/2" to 1" above the bottom of the fuel tank. If one sees water in their filter, they have WATER. In my tanks, that would probably be at least several gallons to get up high enough to be drawn into the filter. Sure the filter will keep it from the engine (presumably, hopefully) but that water in your tanks is corroding the tank material and promoting microbial growth. So if you see water in your filter, you need to clean out your tank.

Ken

I don't care who makes my fuel filter, but the Racors seem to work and I'm satisfied with that. But I want to comment that on most boats, the fuel pickups are at least 1/2" to 1" above the bottom of the fuel tank. If one sees water in their filter, they have WATER. In my tanks, that would probably be at least several gallons to get up high enough to be drawn into the filter. Sure the filter will keep it from the engine (presumably, hopefully) but that water in your tanks is corroding the tank material and promoting microbial growth. So if you see water in your filter, you need to clean out your tank.

Ken

I agree.

I had my charter boat tank custom built with a 4" deep sump. The bottom of the fuel pickup tube is below the bottom of the tank in the sump.

My trawler picked tube is a few inches off the bottom of the tank. The bottom of each tank slopes forward and inboard. In the lowest corner is the tank drain which is connected to the fuel polisher. Anything in the tank collects in that corner and is sucked out by the fuel polisher.

Ted

I agree.

I had my charter boat tank custom built with a 4" deep sump. The bottom of the fuel pickup tube is below the bottom of the tank in the sump.

My trawler picked tube is a few inches off the bottom of the tank. The bottom of each tank slopes forward and inboard. In the lowest corner is the tank drain which is connected to the fuel polisher. Anything in the tank collects in that corner and is sucked out by the fuel polisher.

Ted

I don’t have a sump but my tanks are otherwise shaped similarly. The very lowest point in my tanks is connected to my polisher. It works out nice that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom