Internet access or lack thereof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following up- Commiecast is muerto. Netgear Nighthawk M1 is up and operational.

Very easy setup- plug in, configure, and go. I attached it to our AirPort Extreme to boost the output signal.

Stress test yesterday was 2 TVs streaming, 2 smart phones streaming, 2 computers connected, NAS backup connected, and our network printer connected.

Not as fast as the cable signal, but it works perfectly for our needs.

Some marina wifi is good, some is pretty terrible. So unless you have more data available than you could ever use (or unlimited), IMO, it's worth having a way to make good use of marina wifi when there happens to be a good one available. But not being reliant on it is good as well.

What's a marina? (-;

Installed the Island Time PC system yesterday. Simple as can be. Assemble and follow the excellent printed directions. Total time, about 1/2 an hour. I have not mounted it permanently yet, so no cable to snake thru whatever. Something to look forward too.

I plugged the cable into my old Linksys wireless modem and connected two Iphones, a printer, a laptop, a Ipad and our Roku. Everything seems to work. We used the Roku last night for a few TV shows with no problems.

So far, I am really liking this setup. I purchased the optional mount and the whole thing was under $300.00.

What's a marina? (-;

A place that even if you're not going there, sometimes you get lucky and can get a good wifi signal just by being nearby. Wifi travels pretty well over water without obstacles. With half-decent antennas, half a mile or more is quite do-able.

Installed the Island Time PC system yesterday. Simple as can be. Assemble and follow the excellent printed directions. Total time, about 1/2 an hour. I have not mounted it permanently yet, so no cable to snake thru whatever. Something to look forward too.

I plugged the cable into my old Linksys wireless modem and connected two Iphones, a printer, a laptop, a Ipad and our Roku. Everything seems to work. We used the Roku last night for a few TV shows with no problems.

So far, I am really liking this setup. I purchased the optional mount and the whole thing was under $300.00.

how do you select and connect to new wifi when you move to a new place. passwords ect . do you have to have it connected to a computer?

You do need a computer. You just call up the startup page and select the wifi you want. That is the only change required. Once made all devices on the LAN have internet.

Back
Top Bottom