how to mount an electrical box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Greenfield B23PS Series Weatherproof Electrical Outlet Box comes with only two metal tabs and two screws though it appeared to me that four tabs and 8 screws are needed to mount. why are two tabs with two screws considered sufficient by the manufacturer?

Image_20240219185247.jpg

Image_20240219185242.jpg

Greetings,
Ms. p. Two tabs but 4 holes in box suggest that 2 tabs are sufficient but the option is to mount the 2 tabs on one side or the other or one top and one diagonal on bottom.

ok, so the four holes are just to provide different options

it didn't provide the screws that tap into the wall (wood panel). what type and size of screws should be used?

Greetings,
Ms. p. Two tabs but 4 holes in box suggest that 2 tabs are sufficient but the option is to mount the 2 tabs on one side or the other or one top and one diagonal on bottom.

Using the diagonal will be the strongest. I'd use #8 if they fit the tab hole.

I would use the largest sheet metal screws that will fit into the holes.

I would use the largest sheet metal screws that will fit into the holes.

the screw box from the previous owner have plenty self tapping screws that fit into the hole
Image_20240219211402.jpg

What's the minimum required length of the screw?
Is the bulkhead wood panel generally 1/4" or 1/2" thick?

the concern is there are wires or other fittings behind the bulkhead panel so I want to choose the minimal length screws. Previously I had this question but the panel then could be removed by removing some holding screws, here the bulkhead panel is behind an acoustic layer and not removable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom