garmin 8612 and airmar 220wx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I just installed the airmar 220wx and it looks like the garmin 8612 shows some information but does not show gyro information as in pitch and roll and rate of turn.

Do i need to update the garmin software or do some things not work as well on the garmin screen? I guess i assumed nema 2000 meant everything worked.
Thanks

I just installed the airmar 220wx and it looks like the garmin 8612 shows some information but does not show gyro information as in pitch and roll and rate of turn.

Do i need to update the garmin software or do some things not work as well on the garmin screen? I guess i assumed nema 2000 meant everything worked.
Thanks

You will need to look at the manuals for each product where they list the PGNs (messages) that each sends and can receive.

Sometimes the info is in different PGNs, so the devices don't know how to talk.

Sometimes the vendors are using the PGNs differently, so can't talk.

Sometimes you need to enable PGNs, typically through some special software and an adapter that you need to buy. And the adapter will typically only work for that vendors devices, so when the next thing needs to be configured you will need another adapter. Soon you will have a drawer full. Don't ask how I know, and don't look in that drawer over there.

Sometimes you will get lucky and it will work out of the box.

Sometimes the device you add will break other devices.

And BTW, "NMEA 2000 Certification" does not look at, test, or in anyway confirm or certify ANY of the data PGNs sent between devices. There are countless "certified" devices that don't work together. The ONLY thing it tests is electrical compatibility and network configuration operations. So NMEA 2000 Certification means very, very little about how things will actually work.

And BTW, "NMEA 2000 Certification" does not look at, test, or in anyway confirm or certify ANY of the data PGNs sent between devices. There are countless "certified" devices that don't work together. The ONLY thing it tests is electrical compatibility and network configuration operations. So NMEA 2000 Certification means very, very little about how things will actually work.
TT, I don't doubt what you write one bit but the first thing that popped into my mind after reading your post was, "that's one hell of an argument for sticking with one brand of electronics!" :popcorn:

TT, I don't doubt what you write one bit but the first thing that popped into my mind after reading your post was, "that's one hell of an argument for sticking with one brand of electronics!" :popcorn:

It probably is with respect to N2K interoperability. But of course there are lots of other considerations when looking at single brand electronics. I think each is a compromise somewhere, whether it's radar, fish finder, chart plotter, auto pilot, support, etc, etc.

Also, electronics techs get to know what works and what doesn't, so can guide you down a path that works, or is likely to work.

And last, as a matter of principal, single brand is exactly what the manufacturers want, and I don't think as consumers we should allow incompatibility to work in their favor. I think we need to hold each and every one accountable for interoperability, and insist they fix problems or return the equipment. I think it's unconscionable that vendors make so little effort to interoperate, and unconscionable that NMEA let's them run rampant while granting and advocating official certification for stuff that simply doesn't work together.

It's getting better, but I still approach every new N2K device the same way I approach any change to a windows system. You have about a 50% chance it will "just work", a 30-40% chance it will waste a lot of your time but eventually you will get it working, and a 10-20% chance is will render your system inoperable. So pick your timing carefully, and be ready to do battle.

Small systems with N2K generally work well, and will often just plug together and work. But the bigger they get, the lower the probability. And as the number of devices increased, the number of things that need to interoperate goes up exponentially. In this case it's probably just PGNs that need to be turned on in the WX device, but that's just a guess.

Personally I have found myself using less and less N2K as the years move on. Two boats ago, it was 100% N2K. My last boat started out 100% N2K, and ended up with primary nav devices on 0183, and N2K for secondary (backup) nav instruments plus monitoring. So about 30% 0183 and 70% N2K. On this next boat I'm using a bit more 0183, and have moved a bunch of monitoring and all control from N2K to Modbus.

I can only speculate what the dynamics and motivation are, but there is no indication that the N2K community has any interest in changing the status quo. After all, they have had 20 years to do it. So I just accept it as is, use it where it's the best choice, or where there is no other choice, and use other more standardized and interoperable protocols where possible. And if products don't work, I'll go a max of two rounds with tech support, updates, or other debugging. If it still doesn't work, I just send it back for a refund. 0183, for example, is fussier to set up, but is highly deterministic, i.e. you can predict how it will behave, and it will do that consistently and reliably.

OK, rant over...

Where i am confused is to how the interfaces are being used. Does the display ,8612,contain the software or is the interface provided by the product itself ,airmar,?

Where i am confused is to how the interfaces are being used. Does the display ,8612,contain the software or is the interface provided by the product itself ,airmar,?

Airmar's config tool is called Weathercaster, and can be downloaded from their web site. It runs under windows, and requires and Actisense NGT USB to N2K adapter to talk to the WX device. What I don't know is whether you can run the pitch and roll data on and off, and whether it's current on or off. But it would suck to buy an NGT only to find out that's not the problem.

Some devices will tell you what N2K messages are present on the bus, and perhaps the Garmin can do that? Or maybe some other device on your n2k bus? I'm just wondering if there is some other way to see if the WX is transmitting the data. I know Actisense's software can do it with their adapter, as can Maretron with their adapters.

that's what i was wondering is it may be turned off by default. I have only had about 10 minutes with the garmin so dont want to jump to quick conclusions which is way i tossed it on the forum to see if anyone else has seen the device work.

that's what i was wondering is it may be turned off by default. I have only had about 10 minutes with the garmin so dont want to jump to quick conclusions which is way i tossed it on the forum to see if anyone else has seen the device work.

A quick call to Airmar (it will get forwarded to Gemeco) should get your question answered about whether the data is turned on by default, and whether it's controllable via Weathercaster or something else.

I called airmar and they didnt have any information and suggested i call garmin. I finally found a number out of the manual for garmin and gave them a call. Do to excessive call volume i was ask to leave my number and then tmobile went down so i guess i will try again tomorrow.

I called airmar and they didnt have any information and suggested i call garmin. I finally found a number out of the manual for garmin and gave them a call. Do to excessive call volume i was ask to leave my number and then tmobile went down so i guess i will try again tomorrow.

You may be experiencing N2K vendor behavior. The problem is always with the other guy's product.

I may just but a small touch screen monitor and a micro computer total cost $500.00 and just hook the airmar direct then i would have the weather station as a standalone and use the two garmins for other things. The more i think about it the solution starts sounding like a better way to go.

I responded to this on The Hull Truth as well. I am still not clear on if you've found places on the Garmin unit where that data is displayed?

They are under "vessel" and are labeled as "Trim" and "Heal". Are you looking at those data boxes on the Garmin unit and the Airmar info isn't coming through?

I receive that data via the 9 axis heading sensor from my Garmin AP but I had a heck of a time finding the data in the garmin menus because the don't call it pitch/roll but rather trim/heal.

I will look.That was one of the problems. We couldn't find were the data may be.

Did you ever figure this one out? I'll be up in Blaine again this Friday and would love to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom