Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Freedom 20 clicking noise

I have a freedom 20 marine charger. Today they cut off the dock power and I shut down both the ac and dc panels. The charger is making a clicking noise. What could that be? Where is it getting the power to do so? From the batteries?

I am about to put the boat on the hard for some repairs and am concerned this clicking/battery drain could be a problem for my batts.
Divealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Can't be sure...but it could be the relay that shifts from shore power to inverted power and back (transfer switch)...were you getting intermittent AC power from the inverter to match the clicks?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Just checking, were you running the Genny when you heard the clicking sound?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Is it an inverter/charger?
I have a Magnum, not xantrex, and it ticks when it’s in Search mode. It sends out a 120 volt pulse about once per second to see if any loads have been turned on. Every pulse makes a quiet tick.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

High Wire, it is an inverter Charger and the ticking noise is exactly as you describe. Why doesn’t it shut down when I kill both panels? Will letting it click harm it or drain my batteries?

Click is not an accurate word for it but can’t think of a better word. It is more like a quiet or dull click but occurs about 2 to 3 “clicks” per second.

In response to Menzies post I was not running a gender. Don’t have one.

In response to pessneld I get no a/c signal that I know of. I have the a/c panel turned off but the volt and amp meters show no signal. The inverter has a small light that keeps with the clicking.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divealot View Post
High Wire, it is an inverter Charger and the ticking noise is exactly as you describe. Why doesn’t it shut down when I kill both panels? Will letting it click harm it or drain my batteries?

Click is not an accurate word for it but can’t think of a better word. It is more like a quiet or dull click but occurs about 2 to 3 “clicks” per second.

In response to pessneld I get no a/c signal that I know of. I have the a/c panel turned off but the volt and amp meters show no signal. The inverter has a small light that keeps with the clicking.
Had one before. It should have an off switch. also disconnect the shore power cable and even battery cables to get it to reboot when you turn it back on. It does sound like the auto switch.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:29 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divealot View Post

To verify if it’s the search pulse just turn on a 120v lamp. When the lamp powers up the clicks should stop. You will have to check your manual to learn how to do a shutdown. Just turning off the panels is not shutting down the inverter. And yes Search mode will drain the batteries eventually.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

High Wire you were spot on! Turned on a light and it quit. I will try to download a manual today to find the proper way to shut down. Thank you