Old 04-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
FL120 gage overhaul - Nolan RS11?

I'm contemplating a comprehensive gage overhaul for my twin FL120s. My tachometers are the old Motorola units (alternator senders) which aren't terribly accurate & cut out when the batteries are fully charged, particularly if my solar is charging.

Both voltmeters are dead, the ammeters are long disconnected. My flybridge doesn't have exhaust temps & one water temp doesn't work. It's a mess & most importantly I don't really trust even the working gages.

I'm contemplating a complete re-do, maybe installing magnetic tach senders on the flywheels & running everything to an RS11, which has two tach inputs and six analog inputs (water temp, oil pres, exhaust temp for each engine). I imagine pulling the whole gage pack out & replacing with something that plugs into the RS-11 N2k or Canbus backbone, either analog or digital.

https://nolandeng.com/product/rs11-b...tartup-system/

Any comments? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been through this.

socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #2

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Some information on gauges

I follow a vlog on a guy rebuilding his old motor cruiser in Victoria B.C.

This is the vlog on his gauges

This is the address of his gauges

https://www.speedhut.com/

Every episode he has a beer of the week, its pretty entertaining.

The only gauge work I did on my own was replace my oil pressure and tempreture gauges. I replaced my Stewart Warner with Faria. It was pretty straight foraward. But I was also thinking of doing a whole redo of my gauges because my fuel gauges aren't that accurate and my flybridge and lower helm tachs aren't syncronized and they aren't as accurate as they could be.

But whether I really need another boat project is a whole other story.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I use the Noland RS11. It's been reliable and it was pretty easy to set up.

I kept my analog gauges when I fabricated a new console though. I added one round multi-function NMEA 2000 gauge in the middle of the console, on which I can selectively show various types of engine data. I can also display the N2K data on my chartplotter.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I use the Noland RS11. It's been reliable and it was pretty easy to set up.

I kept my analog gauges when I fabricated a new console though. I added one round multi-function NMEA 2000 gauge in the middle of the console, on which I can selectively show various types of engine data. I can also display the N2K data on my chartplotter.
Thanks - what N2k gage did you go for?

I do like analog gauges, but I'm even contemplating configuring a Raymarine Axiom 7 as a display. You can get them without charts for $450/ea which seems like a pretty solid deal for such a flexible solution.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Thanks - what N2k gage did you go for?
I was afraid someone would ask. Mine is a Lowrance LMF-400, which I don't think is sold any more.

It works fine, does exactly what I wanted (displays all kinds of N2K data) and fits perfectly in my console.

But I also like the idea of the Axiom (or any other similar) display.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I was afraid someone would ask. Mine is a Lowrance LMF-400, which I don't think is sold any more.

It works fine, does exactly what I wanted (displays all kinds of N2K data) and fits perfectly in my console.

But I also like the idea of the Axiom (or any other similar) display.
Thanks. I'm going to look into it. I'd like to see if I can program in some alarms as well via the Axiom interface. None of my buzzers/alarms work so I'd have to catch something via the analog gage (which as discussed I don't trust) if I had an issue.

Anyone had good luck with a particular mag/pulse tach sender?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I tried a Noland. I was never able to get it configured. Perhaps I will try it again sometime. To the OP, if you do not have a Glendinning synchronizer, you have unused ports in which you can install a simple pulse generator. Use that to send signals to VDO programmable tachometers. I did that and my tachs read very accurately after they were fine-tuned, a simple process. After the fine-tune they have not needed further adjustment. Yes, I occasionally check the output with a photo tach. The best part of the installation is that the original sending wire from the alternator-driven Motorola tachs can be used as the VDO tachs may be daisy-chained. Any brand of signal generator (7/8 - 18 thread) may be used whether they are two pulse, four, or eight. I used an 8-pulse generator made by Aetna Engineering.

As for temp guages I used VDO also. Using an IR temp gun to check accuracy, the gauges are pretty damn good. Just make sure to get a dual station sender to match the gauge model.

Of course, I used matching VDO oil pressure gauges but, for these, I ran dedicated sending wires to the upper and lower gauges. I have not tested their accuracy.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
To the OP, if you do not have a Glendinning synchronizer, you have unused ports in which you can install a simple pulse generator.
Thanks for an extremely helpful post.

Re: the portion quoted above, I don't have a synchronizer - by port you mean a port in the FL120 bell housing somewhere? Can you describe exactly where?

I think if I want my alt tach senders to work all the time I'll need to shut off the PV panels. This is fine but a bit annoying; if it's easy to screw a couple of new senders into the engine housing I think I'd prefer to go that route.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The port is just above the oil cooler on the starboard side of the engine. This picture tells the whole story. The pulse generator has the red cap just to the right of the Racor on-engine fuel filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Thanks for an extremely helpful post.

Re: the portion quoted above, I don't have a synchronizer - by port you mean a port in the FL120 bell housing somewhere? Can you describe exactly where?

I think if I want my alt tach senders to work all the time I'll need to shut off the PV panels. This is fine but a bit annoying; if it's easy to screw a couple of new senders into the engine housing I think I'd prefer to go that route.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210411_170438.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	116439
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Here ya go- our Chetco Digital install:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0-a-43803.html

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
The port is just above the oil cooler on the starboard side of the engine. This picture tells the whole story. The pulse generator has the red cap just to the right of the Racor on-engine fuel filter.
Thanks - super helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Here ya go- our Chetco Digital install:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...0-a-43803.html
Wow, what a rabbit hole...

I'm trying to keep things simple, but looks like there are a lot of considerations here. I'd like to do the RS-11 as it seems the most straightforward as long as I don't run into the tach issues; I pinged them to see if there's a specific sender they'd recommend to minimize issues. I suspect that'll be better than using the alternator senders but I asked about that as well.

EGT seems like a real sticking point since it's a thermocouple (requires a signal amplifier) and there's not a dedicated N2K channel for this data. I might just keep the existing gauge for that.

I'm putting in a totally independent Borel exhaust temp alarm system regardless as that seems to be the single most important thing to keep tabs on.