Efoy Error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvermeer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Brigus
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Hi all, I recently returned to my Monk 36 to find I forgot to turn the shore power switch back on after a short voyage. The Efoy fuel cell kept up for as long as it could but the methanol cartridge ended up running dry. So, I found the batteries flat. I switched on the shore power and the batteries have completely recovered. I have replaced the methanol cartridge. Problem is, the Efoy fuel cell is showing an error that I cannot clear: “NO CONNECTION: please check data cable and connection to fuel cell”

I have thoroughly checked all connections and they are good. I have unplugged the power from the fuel cell in an attempt to reset it. I cannot clear the error message or exit from that screen, and of course the fuel cell isn’t working now.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but what does the manufacturer say? :socool:

I have found nothing in the documentation. I have messaged the manufacturer, no response as of yet.

I had a look here at one of the manuals and they describe how to connect and disconnect which may be necessary for a reboot. Your error is not mentioned.
WAG. Disconnect the data cable first, then the negative cable, then positive. Let it sit for some time, say 10 minutes.
Connect positive, then negative, then data cable.

I had a look here at one of the manuals and they describe how to connect and disconnect which may be necessary for a reboot. Your error is not mentioned.
WAG. Disconnect the data cable first, then the negative cable, then positive. Let it sit for some time, say 10 minutes.
Connect positive, then negative, then data cable.

Ok thanks I’ll give that a try

It might have a "hidden" reset button. Anyone remember the one they put in the original Macintosh computer? Located between the air vents!!!:mad:

I had a look at a couple of different manuals for different models and each has it own way of doing a reset...............:thumb:

I had an issue with my Efoy where it thought the cartridge was empty when it wasn’t. I contacted the phone number in Germany that’s in the manual and they set me up with EFC Energy in Calgary. I sent it to them, they repaired it and sent it back. Took about a month and a few calls to check on progress but it was covered by the warranty.

I had an issue with my Efoy where it thought the cartridge was empty when it wasn’t. I contacted the phone number in Germany that’s in the manual and they set me up with EFC Energy in Calgary. I sent it to them, they repaired it and sent it back. Took about a month and a few calls to check on progress but it was covered by the warranty.

Sorry that should say SFC Energy

Efoy error

Can't help with the error but have been considering a Fuel Cell for a while. There was a manufacturer named Watt that looked interesting because they used propane and with a galley change I'd have fuel for both.

How large is your house bank?

We added solar and until we lost our Hard top over the bridge in hurricane Ian, it was keeping our batteries charged.

How do you like the Efoy and what size do you have?

Good luck with your Efoy issue. Shame the manufacturer doesn't realize the bad publicity that arises out of antiquated communications when you have a problem. If they aren't easy to reach by phone and respond in very short order, like the same day, they aren't getting my money.

Hope all works out for you. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Can't help with the error but have been considering a Fuel Cell for a while. There was a manufacturer named Watt that looked interesting because they used propane and with a galley change I'd have fuel for both.

How large is your house bank?

We added solar and until we lost our Hard top over the bridge in hurricane Ian, it was keeping our batteries charged.

How do you like the Efoy and what size do you have?

Good luck with your Efoy issue. Shame the manufacturer doesn't realize the bad publicity that arises out of antiquated communications when you have a problem. If they aren't easy to reach by phone and respond in very short order, like the same day, they aren't getting my money.

Hope all works out for you. Keep us posted on the outcome.

I have an older 210, the largest one they have. I think it’s great, nicer than a genset for sure. However, if you rely heavily on 110V stuff (microwaves, tv’s etc) then it may not be for you. I don’t draw vary much at all. The Efoy max’s out at 8 amps (charging). When I’m at anchor, the only power being drawn is the 12V fridge and other basic 12V items like LED lighting and a VHF radio. The only 110V thing I have going via the inverter/charger is the laptop and charging phones. The price of the methanol has tripled since Covid, so that’s a consideration as well. One 10L cartridge is $250cad now (average) (one cartridge would last me two weeks if it was working solid for 10-14 days. I have never put it the test like that however. The odd weekend and that’s it. Unfortunately, the methanol cartridges have a year’s lifespan (they have an expiry date). After the year is up, they’re not as potent. I am using one that is two years old now and it only charges up to 5 amps.

I have an older 210, the largest one they have. I think it’s great, nicer than a genset for sure. However, if you rely heavily on 110V stuff (microwaves, tv’s etc) then it may not be for you. I don’t draw vary much at all. The Efoy max’s out at 8 amps (charging). When I’m at anchor, the only power being drawn is the 12V fridge and other basic 12V items like LED lighting and a VHF radio. The only 110V thing I have going via the inverter/charger is the laptop and charging phones. The price of the methanol has tripled since Covid, so that’s a consideration as well. One 10L cartridge is $250cad now (average) (one cartridge would last me two weeks if it was working solid for 10-14 days. I have never put it the test like that however. The odd weekend and that’s it. Unfortunately, the methanol cartridges have a year’s lifespan (they have an expiry date). After the year is up, they’re not as potent. I am using one that is two years old now and it only charges up to 5 amps.

Good morning !

I have exactly the same problem on my EFFOY battery, could you tell me how you were able to resolve your problem?

Thank you so much !

Thibault Roche

Good morning !

I have exactly the same problem on my EFFOY battery, could you tell me how you were able to resolve your problem?

Thank you so much !

Thibault Roche
Sorry for delayed response. I ended up shipping my Efoy to SFC Energy in Calgary, Alberta. The diagnosis: failed circuit board. Also, discovered the “guts” of the thing are near failure as well, only producing half the power it should be. That was caused by me not storing it properly (I had no idea there was a procedure to follow…never read the manual). It’s going to cost $5800 to repair. A brand new replacement will be over $8k, and I’d have to rewire everything. So, I’ll stick with repairing the old one and reading the manual on how to store it ��

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom