Dead Raymarine C70 (or just tired?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
When I booted up my Raymarine C70 MFD this AM, I just got some black lines then a pale screen with a light purple stripe. [Picture below]

After about a 30-40 minutes I got a good display.

Is it over?

This is what raymarine affectionately refers to as a "legacy system." It doesn't seem worth a trip to the shop

I used it mostly for the radar.

John

Attachments

• C70_screen.jpg
    C70_screen.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 28
Might not be, i have repaired a few with that issue, there is a video ribbon cable that sometimes comes loose inside that has been known to cause this.....

Jefndeb, Is this something a hack like me can do? Or best left to a pro?

Yes, it is typically caused by a cable connector that works loose. There is a plastic tab or something similar that blocks the connector from seating well and will push it out of its socket over time. Usually you can push on the screen around its periphery and temporarily reseat it.

The permanent fix is to remove the plastic with a sharp knife and reseat the connector. Sorry I did this many years ago to my C70 and can't remember any more details. The periphery push can work for quite a while though.

David

My Raymarine A70D display (MFD) was damaged by either Deet or sunscreen or improper cleaning. It is still usable but annoying.

I have been watching eBay for a replacement. A couple have come up, even reasonable priced. Not sure what I want to do, replace try a screen swap, or update.

pete

My Raymarine A70D display (MFD) was damaged by either Deet or sunscreen or improper cleaning. It is still usable but annoying.

I have been watching eBay for a replacement. A couple have come up, even reasonable priced. Not sure what I want to do, replace try a screen swap, or update.

pete

If the spray made the screen opaque, try a headlight repair kit, which polishes off the outer oxidized layer and coats it with a UV protection layer...

Wow!

I took off the front cover and pushed on the screen, and also jiggled the connections in the back.

Bingo!

Thanks for the help!!!

Wow!

I took off the front cover and pushed on the screen, and also jiggled the connections in the back.

Bingo!

Thanks for the help!!!

Lube those connections too. My old RC70 connector needs a spray of lube every few years or the GPS signal says no fix.

Well I only loose my GPS fix at low tide where the channel is very narrow and it does not follow the chart so I am following a previous track.....

What kind of lube?

Well I only loose my GPS fix at low tide where the channel is very narrow and it does not follow the chart so I am following a previous track.....

What kind of lube?

Several out there, I use spray can of WD40 or Corrosion Block. Last summer my AIS started acting up. Pulled the cable and doused it liberally, voila.

SOP every spring on center consoles where things are more open to salt spray and mist.

The connector I was speaking of is in the inside. But spraying the external connectors with WD40 or similar is also a good idea on its own.

David

Back
Top Bottom