Cutting an 8D battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been in industrial construction for 4 decades and have been accused of doing some crazy sh*t, and I would NOT try that. Agree with another here, move the H2O heater and pay someone to lift them out.

I have been in industrial construction for 4 decades and have been accused of doing some crazy sh*t, and I would NOT try that. Agree with another here, move the H2O heater and pay someone to lift them out.

Yes, then reconfigure the area so the batteries are more accessible. I would try to move the batteries in frot of the water heater since maintenance on a WH is less than batteries if the batteries are LA. Also see if you can get away from 8Ds.

Cutting an 8D battery= a hold my beer and watch this moment for utube. ???Please don’t attempt it. Poison gas fumes, splashing leaking acid, possible electrical shorts, confined area. What could possibly go wrong?

I got rid of my 8D batteries years ago. It took 3 men and a boy to move them. I replaced them a couple of times and my arms were sore for a week after. I finally got smart and replaced with sealed "no maintenance" smaller AGM batts for easier handling. I just upgraded my house bank to lithium. What joy!

Yup, the riser is coming off! After a quick spin thru u-tube university,(should have been my first stop) not gonna open that "can of worms".
Agreed, what a mess!
Thanks everyone!

P.S. Group 31 AGMs from now on.

Yes, then reconfigure the area so the batteries are more accessible. I would try to move the batteries in frot of the water heater since maintenance on a WH is less than batteries if the batteries are LA. Also see if you can get away from 8Ds.
I am curious if your suggestion to move away from 8d is due to size/weight or do you have another thought? Thanks.

I am curious if your suggestion to move away from 8d is due to size/weight or do you have another thought? Thanks.
In my case DIY they are just too heavy to handle. Could have got help of course. But, 8D have worked well for decades, so each to their own reasons.

Too much weight to move easily. Especially as you get older you want to be able to handle them without breaking your back.

[QUOTE=

3) I could be wrong, and probably am but I have never seen a battery case designed to contain an 8D.
END QUOTE

Containment boxes for 8D are available. I had two. One given away, the other used as a short ends bin for wire, hose and so on.

Yes, there are several companies that make battery boxes for 8Ds.

In my case DIY they are just too heavy to handle. Could have got help of course. But, 8D have worked well for decades, so each to their own reasons.

Steve, I'll agree with you that 8D's have WORKED for decades . . . . . but whether or not they worked WELL will have to be another discussion! :whistling::D

Thoughts on an 8 D battery

My neighbour had an 8D battery on his boat. He was elderly, but he was also an engineer and engineers can be hard of hearing when his doctor told him not to lift anything heavy. He lifted his 8D battery and he developed a hernia that was inoperable. He recently passed and he will be buried with his hernia still intact.

When I bought my boat my electrician who rewired my start system and AC told me to get rid of the 8D batteries and go with 6 volt batteries. Great advice.

That's a sad story but most engineers should know that we've developed these new technologies called ropes and pulleys and come alongs and young kids with strong backs.

8D are generally really robust workhorses. They're certainly old-school and there are more advanced solutions today, but that doesn't mean they don't have a place on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom