Varnish Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I recall “Tonkinois” is a Russian product that consists of mostly or 100% Tung oil. Most varnishes are basically a resin and oil. And most varnishes are either with Linseed oil or Tung oil.

When I mixed my own oil coatings I used Linseed oil. Most or all say Tung oil is better but I read somewhere that they were basically the same. Tung oil may be the holy grail but I suspect it’s raving followers are responding to the rare things are better or more expensive things are better. I chose Linseed oil mostly for it’s availability as most of my oiling was a series of experiments. But oiling w/o a resin may be much more lasting if one could find UV protectors in a bottle.

But re the Le Tonkinois I haven’t used it.
Xsbank perhaps you could tell about application and how it lasts?

Last edited:
Looks amazing! As does all freshly varnish teak :thumb: If I was under cover (I soooooo wish I was), I'd think about prepping and varnishing all of mine to bristol. Right now, living under the sun in Norfolk...I'm thinking of replacing some with S.S., some with starboard, painting the rest...and oiling the cap rail :lol:

I’ve used a couple different varnishes and most of them produced a good result, but all of them required learning the particulars of that particular product. Sometimes the best finish comes from the product you know the best and after 30+ varnishing sessions of epifanes, I’m only just starting to get to know it well enough to predict what it’s going to do.

Rapidcoat I’ve never tried, but if you want to recoat without sanding, try woodfinish gloss. It has about 90% of the properties of their gloss varnish, but can be recoated without sanding on subsequent days, making it easier to build with. It really behaves like their regular varnish.

Back
Top Bottom