Mystery Fitting. Need help Identifying it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup...that's a someday when I can contort my self into that area.

There are some pretty inexpensive borescope cameras available these days. Ones that use a WiFi connection to use your phone as the viewscreen. I've used one on our EB47 to help track down overhead lighting circuits and wiring chases. That and retrieve items lost under a bilge grate, which would have been a LOT of trouble to remove with the hydraulic swim platform pump mounted to it. Camera let me see well enough to use some LONG pliers to snag the items.

Might help get a look into those areas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV6X4M4

I have a similar fitting on my boat. I was told it was a compressed air fitting for a dive compressor.

Second for an
air outlet for a hooka diving rig. Any compressors below?

No compressors or indicator there may have been. Some day i will get someone into that corner o the engine room and find out. Till then...

Mystery fitting

Looks like a connection for an air compressor.
Maybe to blow out the water system to winterize. Can you trace the line?

???

Look on the end of your Bar-B-Q fuel hose and see if you have a match.

Just saw this on a friends old 1988 Hatteras. It is a quick connect fitting for shore water. The center dimple depresses to allow water in. If it is frozen, give it a few taps after spraying with corrosion X. You will need the quick connect fitting for the hose side. Can probably make one up.

I have two of those fittings on my 1984 Hatteras 53. One on each side of the boat and they are for shore water connection.

An endoscope with a light (Amazon, $21) has solved a number of my mysteries.

iu

Any chance the vessel has a lube oil tank and this could be used for deck gill ?

Thank you all for your guess'. But until I can get me (or more likely a proxy) in that very constricted area, lets table the discussion, because at this point it is very much speculation.

I will endeavor to update at some point in the future.

Thanks again.

Fair boggles the mind when it has been made so clear that it is a shore water connection, yet there continues to be a flood of "gee, maybe it is a ----". Oy Vey!

I think it is the fill port for the "Magic Black Smoke" that is inside all things electronic that allow them to function.
HOLLYWOOD

I have never seen this before. The fitting beneath the diesel fill. Cannot be unscrewed and it has no visible vents or holes.

Anybody know what it is?

Thanks in advance.

We have one that looks like that on our boat but has an electrical connector of an unusual type inside designed to hook to a phone system

Water…press the center “plunger” down with a screwdriver….it’s a quick disconnect.

Water fitting possibly

On our 46 Europa, I have the identical pressure fitting but it is for our aft deck shower so there is a hot and cold tap nearby. the previous owner fixed things to a very high level so he replaced the normal RV-like screw on fitting to this kind of fitting. The shower hose has the male fitting. Too bad you can’t trace the hose.
I would vote for a salt water (or maybe fresh) wash down connection. The corresponding hose, if you have it should be the give away as mentioned by others. Otherwise hit the hardware store to find a proper fitting—there are many many subtle variations so not the easiest thing. Then you can take a bucket and cover your deck, connect up with a hose and see what comes out. Highly unlikely to be fuel or anything nasty as only water (and hydraulic) have pressure. But I can’t imagine what you would have as a removable hydraulic “apparatus” on a boat. Logging trucks, yes.:blush:

So all your interest and assistance got me to tap the top lightly with a hammer.

Woosh! Fresh water!

No hose anywhere to indicate it might have been that.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I will set up hose when water-maker is making water.

Back
Top Bottom