Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: Camano / Troll
That's what I am finding out.
Chrisaensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #22

City: Crystal River
Question (off topic) what size is your RIB?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #23

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
After you do replace it (good choice), remember these are a maintenance item. As the bellows gets weak, or the metal puck moves on the shaft, you can loose the recommended dimension, which relates to the pressure of the carbon disk to the stainless puck. I strongly recommend a secondary locker on the prop shaft, i.e. a simple band clamp will do. I've replaced these on my sailboat and our trawler. Zero problems.
not an issue with the tides marine seals. One reason I didn't use the PSS ones.
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #24

City: Juneau
Dripless shaft

Not intended to be helpful on reaching the unit but just a comment. This is one reason I prefer the old style packing. Iíve seen catastrophic failures with these things which can leave one in a precarious situation. Sometimes newer technology is not always the best. Again just my thoughts for wherever worth and thatís not much.
KlepsAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlepsAK View Post
Not intended to be helpful on reaching the unit but just a comment. This is one reason I prefer the old style packing. Iíve seen catastrophic failures with these things which can leave one in a precarious situation. Sometimes newer technology is not always the best. Again just my thoughts for wherever worth and thatís not much.
Actually I agree, in fact I am considering installing the "packing gland" method when I replace the dripless...which I will replace it, just not sure which type I am going to use.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #26

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaensing View Post
Actually I agree, in fact I am considering installing the "packing gland" method when I replace the dripless...which I will replace it, just not sure which type I am going to use.
for me, not even a close call. Once you squash yourself down there, the thought of having to get a wrench in there to adjust the old style packing will make you shiver. i couldn't even get a set of calipers in there to measure the shaft log. I certainly was not happy when I had the failure, but the thought of servicing a traditional unit would just not be a good option. The Tides Marine unit I used has a spare seal attached to the shaft, so its pretty easy to replace that seal (relatively speaking) I suppose that's my insurance. Plus, I have two water inlets to the unit so in case one gets obstructed, I'm still getting water for lubrication.
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
for me, not even a close call. Once you squash yourself down there, the thought of having to get a wrench in there to adjust the old style packing will make you shiver. i couldn't even get a set of calipers in there to measure the shaft log. I certainly was not happy when I had the failure, but the thought of servicing a traditional unit would just not be a good option. The Tides Marine unit I used has a spare seal attached to the shaft, so its pretty easy to replace that seal (relatively speaking) I suppose that's my insurance. Plus, I have two water inlets to the unit so in case one gets obstructed, I'm still getting water for lubrication.
Good advice - QUESTION: Do you have a Camano 31 & if so, What size is the Shaft Log? & which unit did you order?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #28
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I am not an expert on traditional packing, but, having one that has to leak, does require even occasional adjustments in a location as hard to get to as yours appears would not be my idea of a "good time"
A properly installed (get a professional who has a track record with the brand you pick especially due to your access issue) dripless seal should not require much "hands on" attention (until time for the next servicing). If using the PYI seal, install an "extra" retainer (they sell one or just use a good quality hose clamp), and also monitor the seal for temperature and any signs of unusual leaking.

However, if you feel more comfortable with a packing gland, go for it.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:58 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
I agree. If you have good access to your packing gland, traditional style with modern packing makes perfect sense though I do not begrudge those who decide on PSS or any other quality dripless. It's a judgment call to balance relatively frequent maintenance of a traditional gland that will last almost indefinitely vs a dripless that lasts approx 10 years and has very little intervening maintenance. It's a personal decision based on your skills and comfort with the technologies.

However, some boats have packing glands where access is difficult to near impossible. The Camano 31 is apparently one. I have seen V-Drive boats that bury the packing gland. This will seriously dissuade maintenance of a traditional gland. If it were my boat, I would definitely go with a dripless system. Not sure which one, but no doubt in my mind would not be a traditional gland. I understand the risk of catastrophic failure. There is risk of not maintaining a traditional gland. I'd be more comfortable with dripless.