Cummins 6BTA Exhaust Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truant2

Vessel Name
Kava Kava
Vessel Make
Sealine 420 Statesman
My port engine exhaust hose closest to the engine developed a crack and needs replacement, about a 3' section. Do I need a plain hard hose or one with wire? It's a straight run to a metal turning piece and in a difficult spot to install.

I just bought exhaust hose from Defender. It is wire wound and they sell it by the foot.

I put the Blue higher temp stuff in a couple of years ago. It is expensive, but for only a very short length not that bad. If memory serves it was "Trident"?

Be sure to check the elbow when the hose is off, plugged up shower holes can cause hot spots leading to early hose failure.
Any restrictions in the entire raw water system will affect exhaust temperature, so I’d check it from inlet strainer through mixing elbow. Shredded impeller bits are the most common culprit, with corrosion a close second.
I like to use a couple feet of fiberglass tubing immediately out of the elbow, it will tolerate overheating incidents better than rubber hose.

Truant,
Check out sbmar.com and look up exhaust "doomed to fail" either on their forum or under "Tony's Tips" and make sure that yours is not one of them. My boat came with the standard Cummins double jacketed exhaust elbow. They do not last forever, and mine had corroded through causing an exhaust hose overheat. Due to the design (doomed to fail) it could have allowed (directed) salt water into the turbo or worse yet the exhaust side of the engine, resulting in a huge bill!

Also, ensure that your aftercooler has been properly serviced in the last couple of years. Another possible larger (several thousands) expense if neglected.
Good luck.

The Vetus brand runs a little larger ID than others and may be easier to install.

Marine Diesel Algae Problem

Diesel Fuel Algae problem
A few months ago I added a product in the 350 gallon main diesel tank called killem. It’s killed all the algae in the tank but now I have large pieces of it clogging the Racor filter. I’m looking to rig up an in-line screen filter that’s petroleum resistant that can filter out all the large trash so the Racors can do their jobs for the smaller particles. I drew diagrams of the current and new systems. The fuel intake and return hoses are 1/2”.
The new system will have all the fuel running into this screen filter. When running it will eventually clog up the screen and will restrict the fuel flow. At that time I can close the valve for the screen and open the one to the Racor. Then clean the screen out and reverse the valves again to start running. I found a brass fitting for it but I’m now looking for a large screen filter. Anyone have experience with this issue? Will a seawater strainer work? We had to be towed in from offshore Sunday ?

Attachments

• 55ACF8DF-2F87-4C09-BA81-A09AAA62C976.jpg
    55ACF8DF-2F87-4C09-BA81-A09AAA62C976.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 24
  • C9B890AF-D8EE-46BC-9D9A-77DF957D820A.jpg
    C9B890AF-D8EE-46BC-9D9A-77DF957D820A.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 725FDF66-FF2C-494F-BB4B-5EE3989688AD.jpg
    725FDF66-FF2C-494F-BB4B-5EE3989688AD.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 30
My port engine exhaust hose closest to the engine developed a crack and needs replacement, about a 3' section. Do I need a plain hard hose or one with wire? It's a straight run to a metal turning piece and in a difficult spot to install.

If it has been in place for over 20 years maybe best to replace with same. They are wear items.

Oops. Not
Sure why this was posted as a reply in here. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom