Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #21

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Emelyn
Vessel Model: North Pacific 36
Vertical Aerials

LOL, agreed on the aerials. Old photo on the original post - I caught and corrected that pretty soon after the purchase!
Attached Thumbnails
001 Emelyn.jpeg  
rherten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Another consideration not mentioned is vhf is usually 50 ohm coax. Tv is usually 75 ohm. Vaguely interchangeable, but not recommended.

The dome is tv.

The 2 little mushrooms look like gps antennas but one MIGHT be satellite radio. Do you have a sirius subscription with your new fusion stereo?

Usually the little mushrooms will have some fine print on them somewhere identifying a brand. That would go a long way to iding them.

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #23
Guru

I do not think it is correct that radar reflectors do not work. I do think that there is a snake oil issue. Some reflectors do not work well, certain others do offer a level of protection. There are many publications citing test results of different configurations. Perhaps the OP's unit is junk - who knows? But SOLAS makes a strong statement regarding the use of reflectors.

"SOLAS V 19.2.1.7 requires vessels if less than 150 gross tonnage and if practicable, [shall have] a radar reflector or other means, to enable detection by ships navigating by radar at both 9 and 3 GHz."
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Your ID shows that you are in Vancouver. Doesn't say where, but speaking generally, any boat operating in Vancouver requires a permanently mounted radar reflector.
Years ago Practical Sailor did a reflector comparison. The type that you presently heve came then in the tall skinny one that you have and in a shorter, fatter one. In the PS tests one of those tested out as one of the better reflectors, the other not well at all. Sorry but I don't recall exactly which won. When you get the chance, have a boater with radar report on the strength of his return from your boat. A permanent mount of the tall, skinny reflector requires something to support both ends. That may now be the sole remaining purpose of that third "VHF" antenna.
As for your coax, many boats have tried to keep up with rapidly advancing technology, resulting in runs of cable that become redundant. I would guess that is what you have.
Good call on making the antennas point vertically.
"There are 2 very small receivers on my radar arch " - Those are both GPS. Each should have a brand name "Garmin", "Lowrance", "Furuno" or other lesser known brands. You should be able to find a matching unit inside for each. If not, then an equipment upgrade failed to include removal of the redundant unit.
Good luck with your new baby.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #25

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Your ID shows that you are in Vancouver. Doesn't say where, but speaking generally, any boat operating in Vancouver requires a permanently mounted radar reflector.
Years ago Practical Sailor did a reflector comparison. The type that you presently heve came then in the tall skinny one that you have and in a shorter, fatter one. In the PS tests one of those tested out as one of the better reflectors, the other not well at all. Sorry but I don't recall exactly which won. When you get the chance, have a boater with radar report on the strength of his return from your boat. A permanent mount of the tall, skinny reflector requires something to support both ends. That may now be the sole remaining purpose of that third "VHF" antenna.
I read the same test (or another like it, they've probably done more than one) and the funny thing is the cheapo $25 foil over foam Davis unit handily outperformed all the others. Only problem was it was so light weight it would probably blow away in 25 knots.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #26
Guru

I fitted a Trilens passive reflector after a near miss from a fishing boat in thick fog 10 years ago. Back then the Echomax and Trilens were reported as being the best passive reflectors, and definitely better than the Davis type. If I were to do it today, I would definitely spring for an active type reflector which is what I think the OP has. IMO, apart from the SOLAS requirement, if you boat anywhere after dark or, especially, in fog, a reflector is an essential safety item. It complements your AIS and radar in helping you avoid others and helping others avoid you.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #27
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
+1 on the trilens. Ran that and an active. The commonly used SSB antennas are very long. Sailboats commonly use glass terminals on their backstays in order to achieve sufficient length.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #28

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
The “Mushrooms” are usually gps antennas (mine had 3) or perhaps Sirius (mine had 2). If you have a class B AIS, Then it must have its own GPS & may have it’s own antenna (which can look identical to the VHF antennas). The coax, as others have said, are almost certainly legacy tv antenna cables. Most technicians simply install completely new systems since they don’t want an unhappy customer if they reuse legacy equipment/cables/antennas which might fail. Similarly, in my experience, they never remove old cables or anything else that doesn’t hamper their installation- again because it’s time consuming and customers complain about the (unnecessary) cost.
You, however, will learn a tremendous amount about your new boat by following the wire runs and judiciously removing legacy stuff. I know I have. Be sure to pull a “messenger” line to leave in place for any hidden cable runs for future changes.

Good luck
Old 01-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #29

Antennas

Thanks for the info. Here's a follow up question; Let's assume all 3 aerials are currently used: 2 for VHF radios and 1 for AIS. Any recommendations on hooking up an antenna for my FM stereo? I was hoping one of the three aerials was for a prior FM hook-up, but if that's not the case can I use a splitter and share an aerial with one of the VHF radios or is that not recommended.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:01 AM   #30
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I used a splitter for many years. Seemed to work fine. I've dispensed with FM radio altogether in favor of streaming from phone to a Bluetooth speaker.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/sha4357...SABEgJcbPD_BwE
Old 01-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #31

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
An appendage - you mean this? No idea what it is - maybe SSB?

Attachment 112205
tHATS A RADAR DEFLECTOR
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #32

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
tHATS A RADAR DEFLECTOR
That's REflector, not DEflector. Probably just a typo or autocorrect. Anyway, plastics in general including fiberglass are pretty much invisible to radar. The dome on your radar is plastic and it doesn't impair the signal at all, or they wouldn't have used it. When you see a fiberglass boat on radar your'e actually seeing the return from large metal bits and the people in the boat. Bodies do give a pretty good return. The metal bits like the engine being close to or below waterline don't give much return at all from longer distances. A reflector mounted up high will make your boat appear on other ship's radars miles further than it would without. I've seen this in a practical sense. A 14' aluminum fishing boat and a 35' fiberglass sailboat both in visual sight around 1 mile off on flat water. The aluminum boat gave a huge return and the fiberglass boat didn't show up at all. I got the fiberglass to show by tweaking the controls, but if I didn't know it was there I wouldn't have tried. Neither would the operator on the big ship that's about to run you down.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #33

Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
+1 to gkesden
Buy a wire tracer - absolutely invaluable on a used boat. My first one cost CAD120 some years ago. I just bought another for CAD28 on Canadian Amazon.

Nick F
Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: Green Turtle Bay
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
+1
Just run down hill all of the time so the antennas will be vertical.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
+1 to gkesden
Buy a wire tracer - absolutely invaluable on a used boat. My first one cost CAD120 some years ago. I just bought another for CAD28 on Canadian Amazon.

Nick F
Thanks for the tip - Canadian Tire has one for sale - just added to my shopping list!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #36
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
An appendage - you mean this? No idea what it is - maybe SSB?

Attachment 112205
That looks like a radar reflector. If so, it’s a horrible thing to have attached to an antenna! It will massively affect the antenna tuning.

Ken
kchace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
That looks like a radar reflector. If so, it’s a horrible thing to have attached to an antenna! It will massively affect the antenna tuning.

Ken
Got me thinking - I traced that antenna back to my AIS and have been experiencing annoying AIS signal faults. Could it be the radar reflector? Will re-mount it elsewhere this weekend and see if it helps.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #38
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
It can’t help to have it there and it’s easy to do.

Ken
kchace is online now   Reply With Quote