Perkins 6.354 Coolant Header Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaska Californian 37

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Surgeon
I have two Perkins 6.354 engines with original Header tanks. On the front is a small circle that has become semi-permeable lol... I believe the circles are freeze plugs that have corroded, but ran out of time to drain the coolant and verify.

Can someone confirm that is or isn't what they are? I have to fly to where my boat is currently, and the more things I can pre-purchase the better.

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I think that’s a freeze plug, but Perkins does some wild stuff, so could be anything.
It’s obviously not aluminum, like the reservoir body, so it could be cause of corrosion.
Make haste to get it taken care of, that aluminum part may as well be gold if you need to replace it!

It is a little hard to tell from that picture, but I think that is an NA001459 header tank. Replacements are available, I think made by Seakamp:
-- https://www.mrcool.us/na001459-perkins-aluminum-tank.html

On the ones I've seen, which have been newer, that exterior feature has either been entirely missing or a vestigial indented ring.

Based on that, I assume it was a plug.

Because I think those plugs must have been an early feature, I'm not sure you'll find a replacement. You may need to improvise or, depending upon the overall condition, replace the tank.

If the tank is salvageable, that plug could possibly be knocked out, or drilled, and replaced with a SS freeze plug.
I’ve seen those with major JB weld patch jobs, even gasket faces rebuilt with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom