Old 12-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Dinghy Dock Rack

I have rebuilt a treated wood dinghy dock rack or base twice in ten years. The treated wood rots quickly here in Florida. What have others used to build a support for their dinghy when it’s off the boat?

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We had an aluminum rack made with a winch to pull the dinghy up out of the water onto it. It has 2 poles that extend down into the water and the dinghy slides up onto it.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Try cedar.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I take my dinghy home in the off season. Haul it up to the ceiling (9 foot ceiling) up out of the way. In this way, it is stored out of the weather and other "elements".
Old 12-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #5

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I have rebuilt a treated wood dinghy dock rack or base twice in ten years. The treated wood rots quickly here in Florida. What have others used to build a support for their dinghy when it’s off the boat?
Use saltwater lumber treated with 2.5 CCA and it will not rot! The stuff you get at Lowe’s or Home Depot is usually .25 CCA at best. Lumber Should be tagged on the end with its CCA content.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yeah, but as a practical matter where do you get the marine grade high concentration stuff? Not like you can stop by Ace Hardware or a big box store on the way home...
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #7

There are people building/repairing docks there somewhere? Ask them? Also A quick google search would also give you a listing of suppliers in your area. Promise, it’s not hard.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #8

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
2.5 lbs./cu.ft is way overkill. Yes 0.25 lbs is not enough, Find out what strength you are using and go up one step, or two. Wear a mask when cutting this stuff.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
There are people building/repairing docks there somewhere? Ask them? Also A quick google search would also give you a listing of suppliers in your area. Promise, it’s not hard.
No, actually not -- I live about as far from salt water as you can get on the North American continent and the guy down the street is not building a dock. And I did google search before I posted -- I get a ton of sources on how high level CCA treated lumber was outlawed for most residential uses in 2003/04, how it's going to kill us all, etc., and no sources in this area for it, even though it's not outlawed or banned generally. I did get a long list of uses the EPA says is no longer allowed, except for giant agricultural loopholes (no big surprise there) for uses like fenceposts. Your post caught my attention because we built a new deck a few years ago and I wanted posts and ground-contact lumber that would last more than five minutes before rotting and I didn't want to use the wimpy stuff at the big-box stores. I wasn't able to find any source for about 1,500 miles, except for one supplier in Chicago but they said I had to be a licensed contractor with some kind of special EPA permit and order a high enough quantity to built the pyramids twice over.
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

City: Cypress Landing Marina
Vessel Name: BZ interlude
Vessel Model: MS390
Treated wood from the home depot and the marine-grade lumber are two different things.
DrissZougari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #11

City: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
Granted we don't have the moisture issues nor tropical sun you have there, but I've seen several dingy/scull/kayak racks built out of large diameter PVC pipe. Seems pretty indestructible and readily available. Would that work?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
No, actually not -- I live about as far from salt water as you can get on the North American continent and the guy down the street is not building a dock. And I did google search before I posted -- I get a ton of sources on how high level CCA treated lumber was outlawed for most residential uses in 2003/04, how it's going to kill us all, etc., and no sources in this area for it, even though it's not outlawed or banned generally. I did get a long list of uses the EPA says is no longer allowed, except for giant agricultural loopholes (no big surprise there) for uses like fenceposts. Your post caught my attention because we built a new deck a few years ago and I wanted posts and ground-contact lumber that would last more than five minutes before rotting and I didn't want to use the wimpy stuff at the big-box stores. I wasn't able to find any source for about 1,500 miles, except for one supplier in Chicago but they said I had to be a licensed contractor with some kind of special EPA permit and order a
high enough quantity to built the pyramids twice over.
Sorry, about your troubles. Love your state. Been there many times. However please read my original post where I refer to as “saltwater treated”. Somehow the part where you said I live about as far away from salt water as you can get might have something to do with it? The OP posted about rot in Florida. I promise it’s not really hard to get it in Florida. Some of the suppliers we use in LA (Lower Alabama) are right across the state line in Florida. Come visit. Bring a trailer, we will load you up.