Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Which A/C Manufacturer

I'm coming up on needing to replace all 3 of my dying A/C units. 2x 10k and a 16k. Sizing will need to stay about the same, but which units should I buy?

The current units are Marine Air Vector Turbos, around 10 - 12 years old (so after they were owned by Dometic and basically the same as the current Dometic Turbo). The newer versions of the same are not an option for replacement, as these units have been absolute crap in terms of reliability. All 3 are dead or dying from 1 or more refrigerant leaks. And all 3 have had leaks fixed previously and 2 of the units were replaced under warranty for refrigerant leaks early on. I think only one of them has gone more than 2 or 3 years without needing attention from an A/C tech, which is far worse than the original Marine Air units from 1986 (worked great for 20-ish years with minimal attention before they started to have issues).

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Webasto FCF Platinum as replacements, although the MarinAire units look decent as well, just with limited reviews. Flagship supposedly makes great units, but they don't do reverse cycle, so I don't want them. The electric coil heat is way too power hungry for the amount of heat they produce, so I'd rather avoid it. The Velair variable units are a very interesting option, but too expensive and limited reviews, so I'll pass for now.

In this situation, what would the rest of you buy?

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Flagship Marine ...
Superior quality materials.
Superb customer service
Non-proprietary parts
Made in the USA
Competitive prices.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have put Mermaid units in 4 different boats and had great success with them.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
MarinAire units get my vote.

I replaced 3 (6, 9, 16 btu) about 5 years ago and all have been problem free, customer service great.

Was headed toward Wrbasto, but their dimensions didn't fit my location spaces.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
It appears that MarineAire is a different company from The old Marine Air (acquired by Dometic). The former is a made in China product. The old Marine Air (and Cruisair) compact units have been replaced by the Dometic Turbo (DTU (relabeled DTG),or the ECD model lines. The ECD looks a lot like the old Cruisair STX units in our boat. Their “Turbo” unit appears to be a very recent design with a composit condensate tray and mounting structure. Anyway, I believe their old designs are gone. So be careful about comparisons. Same for MarineAire versusMarine Air. One important feature for me is that Dometic made provisions to use the old Cruisair or Marine Air wall control units, so no need to cut more holes in the woodwork.

I’m presently dealing with an electronic issue on one of my old Cruisair units, which I’m pretty sure was a result of a faulty power cord into the boat, and not the unit itself, which had worked fine for 15 years. But no matter...Cruise Air and the old Marine Air(without the “e”) are history. I do like the Dometic DTG for a replacement candidate.
Rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
It appears that MarineAire is a different company from The old Marine Air (acquired by Dometic). The former is a made in China product. The old Marine Air (and Cruisair) compact units have been replaced by the Dometic Turbo (DTU (relabeled DTG),or the ECD model lines. The ECD looks a lot like the old Cruisair STX units in our boat. Their Turbo unit appears to be a very recent design with a composit condensate tray and mounting structure. Anyway, I believe their old designs are gone. So be careful about comparisons. Same for MarineAire versusMarine Air. One important feature for me is that Dometic made provisions to use the old Cruisair or Marine Air wall control units, so no need to cut more holes in the woodwork.

Im presently dealing with an electronic issue on one of my old Cruisair units, which Im pretty sure was a result of a faulty power cord into the boat, and not the unit itself, which had worked fine for 15 years. But no matter...Cruise Air and the old Marine Air(without the e) are history. I do like the Dometic DTG for a replacement candidate.
The units I've got now are the early version of the current Dometic Turbo (they were called Vector Turbo at the time, but they look identical). Same composite drain pans, etc. Their reputation is better than my experience, but the ones I have work well while they're working, but have been terribly unreliable at keeping refrigerant in the systems.

I'm well aware that the MarinAire units are unrelated to the old Marine Air, but they're also the least expensive unit to have a sound shield on the compressor and only slightly more expensive than the Webasto units. The MarinAire controls look nicer than the Webasto setup, but I don't think I care too much either way.

Realistically, compressor noise is only a concern on the 16k unit, the smaller ones are mounted in a way that you only really hear fan noise. The 16k has a return vent right in front of the compressor, however. But this should be less of an issue for the Webasto, as compared to my current units, the compressor is at the other end, which puts it further away from the vent.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: NEW PORT RICHEY
Vessel Name: Barking Sands
Vessel Model: 1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Recently installed a Marinaire 16k unit. I love it.
Barking Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Guru

I ended up ordering a Webasto FCF Platinum 16k for the salon. Once I've got it in and working, I'll see how I feel about it and then decide if I buy 2 more for the staterooms or if I buy something else for those.