Which boat would you buy, solo liveaboard, $100k budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he were welcomed, maybe he is busy rebuilding his “dream boat”??

Might be he finally reaearched deep enough or just happened across some liveaboards he wound up trusting more than what has become a national pastime (people giving seemingly strong opinions with no real experience or even a clue about the topic)....and realize what appears on the surface as an easy, inexpensive way to live....that is really only possible if you have a lot of experience in that way of life up front.

Might be he finally reaearched deep enough or just happened across some liveaboards he wound up trusting more than what has become a national pastime (people giving seemingly strong opinions with no real experience or even a clue about the topic)....and realize what appears on the surface as an easy, inexpensive way to live....that is really only possible if you have a lot of experience in that way of life up front.

This is a pearl of wisdom. I have been living on a boat for almost 20 years. I have learned what I can live with and what I can live without. This led me to know what type, size, and layout in a boat that I can be comfortable with.
When I saw the 4588 I am sitting in, I realized that this is as close as I am ever going to get. After the close, I set about making it better. You have to be a minimalist to live on a boat, the smaller the boat, the more minimal.
I am very happy with mine. Best thing I ever bought, and I got lucky to find it!

This is a pearl of wisdom. I have been living on a boat for almost 20 years. I have learned what I can live with and what I can live without. This led me to know what type, size, and layout in a boat that I can be comfortable with.
When I saw the 4588 I am sitting in, I realized that this is as close as I am ever going to get. After the close, I set about making it better. You have to be a minimalist to live on a boat, the smaller the boat, the more minimal.
I am very happy with mine. Best thing I ever bought, and I got lucky to find it!

Based upon my almost no experience, I would have to say, depends upon the strength of your bow and stern thrusters, wind and current when docking and undocking. Once away from the dock, things settle out until they dont.

Depending upon many things, you may need an additional ‘line handler’, ideally on the boat or perhaps on the dock. Auto pilot, IMO is a must. There are add-ons such-as ‘DockMate’ that makes going ‘single handed’ easier.

Last edited:
For a true, self contained liveaboard, docking thingies like thrusters, twins, additional crew, in fact many, many of the toys most discussions on here that rant on and on about are really irrelevant to the boat to live aboard.

They are much more important to the type of cruising you MIGHT do....as many never cruise as long or as far as their dreams.

I had very few of all those things on my 3 liveaboards (sail, sportfish, trawler) in over 15 years of living aboard with no real dirt storage and still managed 25,000 miles of cruising/underway.

Niceties sure, but most can be on any boat, the living on it is very dependent on your needs/wants...less on nautical stuff (unless it's a related boating hobby but not directly big boat related).

Most liveaboards that do it over a long time or much of their life often eventually change boats. Usually a change in lifestyle or boating style changes and by then they have a much better idea what kind of boat will better suit their needs.... that is because actually doing it is the best teacher.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom