Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #21

City: RIchmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Mine too came from Montana...my first clue.
I fell for the one in California, partly because it had a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CA which I didn't notice.

These guys are slick....I'll never fall for it again. It did make me a more cautious consumer which is a good thing in these days of a scam a minute

Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
They serve a purpose: reminding me to pay the documentation renewal directly with the USCG.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #23

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I did get an official renewal notice from the legit NVDC. I had already renewed online and turn around was very quick. I got my new COD in just a little over a week.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #24

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
They aren't the only ones posing as a government site. Federal Business Opportunities is another one. They still look like an official government site and even when you talk to them you will not know the difference. The main difference is that they charge something like $500 and the feds charge $0. They are legit. They help you get through a lot of agony but you pay for it.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
I fell for the one in California, partly because it had a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CA which I didn't notice.

These guys are slick....I'll never fall for it again. It did make me a more cautious consumer which is a good thing in these days of a scam a minute
They got me two years ago.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
As noted on other similar threads, keep in mind that if you renew with the official USCG process, your renewal will be effective for one year- from the date of renewal - NOT from the expiration date of the previous period!! So don't renew early, you'll lose the lead time!! Yes, it's foolish in today's technology, but unsurprising given it IS the federal government!

As far as the renewal service that prompted the OP thread, yeah, they're underhanded. Same format, I'm sure it's the same yahoo who's been creating all the trouble with his scammy scheme. As other posters recommended, use the US Documentation scam notice as a reiminder then shred it!
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
They serve a purpose: reminding me to pay the documentation renewal directly with the USCG.
I've always gotten a reminder letter from the real Coast Guard. The slimeballs send out their letters 1-3 weeks before the CG.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
This is the one I wait for before renewing . I chunk all of the rest of the crap I get in the mail .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C37CFF5F-EC25-4AA0-8844-5E0F403850DD.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	71879   Click image for larger version

Name:	606FE5BE-743B-4C3F-A1AA-7B32068A8E67.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	71880  
Pack Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Pawleys Island
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Vessel Renewal

I received my VESSEL RENEWAL yesterday from the Maritime Documentation Center. Had it not been for this forum, I would have probably taken the bait. I'll wait for the USCG official notice and save extra money. Thank you Trawler Forum for continuing my boating education!
Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamup View Post
I received my VESSEL RENEWAL yesterday from the Maritime Documentation Center. Had it not been for this forum, I would have probably taken the bait. I'll wait for the USCG official notice and save extra money. Thank you Trawler Forum for continuing my boating education!
Glad you didn't fall for it like I did.
There's been a lot of chatter about this scam here and on all the major boating forums. As more and more people become aware of this, eventually, the scammers will stop as the income generated won't even cover the postage of mailing out these "reminders"
Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: CT
.0001% of any given topic-population reads online forums
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #32
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
This won't stop anytime soon. There are those "yottie" types who would PREFER to pay $75 for someone to click a few buttons for them on line. They like the idea that they "have people" to do the menial jobs like clicking for them.

It's free enterprise. The scumbags have found a market niche. Won't be long before they're lobbying congress for special "pro-business" laws prohibiting the CG from under-cutting their $75 rates.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This won't stop anytime soon. There are those "yottie" types who would PREFER to pay $75 for someone to click a few buttons for them on line. They like the idea that they "have people" to do the menial jobs like clicking for them.

It's free enterprise. The scumbags have found a market niche. Won't be long before they're lobbying congress for special "pro-business" laws prohibiting the CG from under-cutting their $75 rates.
I agree that there are people who just don't care. $75 or $26, no sweat either way. As far as clicking goes, you still have to click on the scammers website. You can take 2-3 minutes of clicking on the CG website or you can spend 2-3 minutes of clicking on the scammers website. Either way, you are sitting at a keyboard clicking unless you pay an assistant to do it for you.

I do believe that the vast majority of boaters who fell for this, just didn't realize what was happening and are pissed that they fell for it.

Yes, the scammers found a market niche...people who thought they were dealing with the CG.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamup View Post
Why wait for anything? Why not just keep reminders and then go online and renew. Or use the one you received as a reminder and go online and renew.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #35
Guru

City: kemah
Your thread spurred me into seeing what it would cost to reinstate the COd for my boat.

maritime: $450
CG: $50

yep, they want a $400 service charge to mail the form for me.

wow. Just wow.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Why wait for anything? Why not just keep reminders and then go online and renew. Or use the one you received as a reminder and go online and renew.
If you renew early, there's a good chance you will lose a month of documentation. When I fell for the scammers, I only got 11 months. Had I waited the 2 weeks until I got my reminder letter from the actual CG, I would have gotten my full 12 months.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
If you renew early, there's a good chance you will lose a month of documentation. When I fell for the scammers, I only got 11 months. Had I waited the 2 weeks until I got my reminder letter from the actual CG, I would have gotten my full 12 months.
But you don't need a reminder letter to know when to renew. If you renew exactly when you get the letter you may lose a month too.

I guess the question I'm asking is do people wait on renewal letters on cars and boats and everything or have reminders set so they renew with or without the letter. Depending on the letter can let one fail to renew if just a little mail slippage.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Most people don't run reliable automated calendars once they've stopped working.

I have plenty of friends that don't realize their passport's expired until getting ready to travel overseas, get reminded about their car rego or even DL by a cop pulling them over, etc.

Those better at adulting deserve to be smug about it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Most people don't run reliable automated calendars once they've stopped working.

I have plenty of friends that don't realize their passport's expired until getting ready to travel overseas, get reminded about their car rego or even DL by a cop pulling them over, etc.

Those better at adulting deserve to be smug about it.
It's not smugness as much as I'm too paranoid and anxious about things like that to leave it all to others. I sure don't trust anything to the post office and don't really trust places to send out reminders all on time. So, I have to have my own systems and it's a fairly easy continuation from work practices.

Add in fear of forgetting close friends birthdays or forgetting some event I've agreed to go to. I need calendars.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Yarradeen
Vessel Model: Harriscraft 48
In this new digital world..

Any site that collects your email address and credit card details is a risk based on how they may store your data. Who knows who has access to this data once saved.

On this point any site requesting you to create and account using your email address is a risk. Reuse of passwords on these sites is increasing risk at decibel acceleration rates.

Protecting your email identity account is most important these days. It's worth having a burner email address for any site requesting details like this.

Using the same password as your personal identity email on other services is foolish. If You have done so change your email password and if possible enable two factor authentication if offered.

Don't use free email services for your personal identity email. But free email addresses are perfect for your burner address. If compromised it can be discarded.

yarradeen is offline   Reply With Quote