Weaver davit hack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
CHiTON
Vessel Make
Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Our Weaver davits can be a bit of a hassle, especially for my wife, who is usually in charge of operating one of them. For those familiar, a catch is slid back while the bail on the dinghy is raised off of the hook on the swim step. It kind of turns into a "pat your head, rub your tummy" exercise. What I was looking for was a way to throw the bail back and have it held in place. Then you only have one task remaining, get the bail off the hook. And for that, you would have both hands free. When docking the dinghy, the catch can be left open ready to receive the bail, however that usually goes smoothly even without the rod in place.

Here's what I came up with. It basically requires a rod/dowel of the right diameter to insert into the catch when it is slid back. It is kind of hard to see in the picture, but as it turned out the right diameter for me was something that I happened to have aboard that day. It is a hot glue stick, which works fine because I then hot glued a piece of 100# fishing line to it and fastened it to the Weaver catch on the swim step. Slide the catch back, insert the rod, and when ready to leave lift the boat off the hook. Really easy when you don't have to operate the catch at the same time.

Attachments

• Weaver rod.jpg
    Weaver rod.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Weaver rod2.jpg
    Weaver rod2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Weaver rod3.jpg
    Weaver rod3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back