USS Iowa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I toured USS New Jersey once. It must have been a hell of a thing to see those big ass battlewagons knifing through the sea at 33+ knots.

When we did full power trials on the Iowa, I made it a point to go all the way aft and look UP at the wake and the four props (two four-bladed and two three-bladed) stirred up the ocean.

Observed the Iowa in Suisun Bay as part of the reserve fleet as well as in Richmond while in preparation for transfer to Southern California. I was amazed how the ship was dwarfed by surplus freighters neighboring in Suisun Bay. The Iowa was very compact, a small target, compared to its surplus neighbors.

You should have seen the NJ sitting astern on an aircraft carrier at North Island in San Diego Bay in the late 80's. It looked like a panther about to pounce on a big cardboard box. BBs are not designed to carry lots of bulky stuff like planes and cargo, so they are naturally lower to the water.

Took a tour of the Missouri at Pearl Harbor. Between that, the Arizona Memorial, and the Pearl Harbor Memorial, it would be near impossible not to be moved.

Ted

Beginning and the end of the war within yards of each other.

Truly badass...especially seeing the New Jersey (sister ship) fire a 9 gun broadside salvo out of the 16” main guns.

Still hard to wrap my head around a gun firing projectiles the size of a small car...

Just the weight of a small car, not the size. These are some 1800-pound high explosive round waiting to be lowered down into turret one on Iowa in 1985. We shot lots more of these than of the 2700-pound AP rounds. Most of our 1200 rounds we carried were HE. We even used different powder for the two; 16"/50 powder bags for the heavies and remixed 16"/45 bags for the HE. The remixed powder burned too fast to put it behind AP rounds.

Attachments

• PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 48
I always liked this shot I took of Iowa from one of the Army Hueys we carried for a few weeks while off Central America in 1985. This was off El Salvador in the Pacific.

Attachments

• Backlit off El Salvador 1984.jpg
    Backlit off El Salvador 1984.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 54
Here is a part of the ship nobody ever sees, lower annular space of turret 2. Due to its extra height, turret 2 was the only turret with two projectile decks. The monorail and chain hoist seen here form a link in the rearming sequence for projectiles. Each turret was trained around to a specific azimuth in order to line up hoist projections on the turret tops with two loading scuttles in the deck. Sheaves were rigged to the projections on each turret with wire rope running from an electric winch up through it and down to special projectile carriers. We wheeled the projectiles one at a time under the rig and attached the carrier to the horizontal projectile. It was then raised up several feet so that the crew could flip the projectile upright to be lowered down through the circular scuttle ALL THE WAY down to the bottom of the ship where the carrier and its projectile were attached to a monorail like the one shown in the photo. Then this combo was pushed by hand along the rail and through the bottom of the turret barbette until it arrived under the projectile hoist in the projectile deck, several decks up in the turret. There the projectile was placed on a bare steel, unpainted and greased outer ring (the part which did not rotate with the turret) deck after which it was parbuckled into the inner ring using a piece of rope with a special hook which was inserted into one of many convenient holes in the deck and one of six constantly turning gypsies. The inner ring was rotated to move the projectile around to a vacancy in the outer ring where the projectile was parbuckled back out to the outer ring for storage. When the outer ring was filled, the inner ring was loaded up. Before we commissioned the ship in Pascagoula in 1984, we had a limited time in which to practice this and to become familiar with all the moving parts as well as getting every hoist, wire and carrier load tested. It is a testament to the crew of that ship that on the day after we got underway from Pascagoula, we met an ammunition ship in the Gulf Of Mexico and in a day and a half alongside her at 12 knots using equipment left unused since 1956 we emptied her of 1,200 rounds on 16-inch and 14,000 rounds on 5"/38 ammunition and safely stowed it without so much as a stubbed toe. The whole process reminded me of loading my .50 caliber Hawken muzzle loading rifle and was INTENSELY manpower hungry.

Attachments

• Lcdr Flenniken in Iowa T2 projectile deck.jpg
    Lcdr Flenniken in Iowa T2 projectile deck.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
And when it was all over, I got my department officers together in the Weapons Office down on the second deck to critique the most recently accomplished miracle and contemplate the next incredible demand upon us. BTW, the bulkhead behind me is slanted inward as part of the armor projection of battleships. Beyond that slanted armor is another compartment for fuel or dry stores storage and then the vertical side of the ship. The theory was that an incoming battleship projectile would pierce the outer skin and then hit this slanted armor at an angle sufficient to deflect it downward rather than allowing it to travel farther into the ship's innards. I apologize for not being able to rotate some pix.

Attachments

• CDR R Gano and Lcdr Flenniken in Iowa Wep Off (1).jpg
    CDR R Gano and Lcdr Flenniken in Iowa Wep Off (1).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 51
16-inch powders were removed from their canisters in the powder magazines and laid onto a shiny brass tray and then slid over to a passing scuttle through the bulkhead and into the annular space where they were rolled across a spanning tray to a second bulkhead scuttle. To help prevent any spark potential getting into the powder magazine, the two scuttles were never opened at the same time. The 110-pound powder bags were hand carried across the deck, maybe 15 feet or so including crossing over the half-inch gap between the fixed structure of the ship onto the rotating deck attached to the turret itself (try that sometime while the ship is turning and the turret is training!) to be loaded into the double decker powder car for a total of six bags per gun. I doubt you will ever see any other photo of a fully loaded powder magazine.

Attachments

• Powder passing scuttle.jpg
    Powder passing scuttle.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 38
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Dummy powders in powder hoist.jpg
    Dummy powders in powder hoist.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 47
Rich in the photo that Angus posted in post 1 of this thread, it appears that the ship is moving sideways from the recoil. I’ve heard that the ship did not move sideways but that the illusion of movement is caused by the blast wave from the guns reflecting off the hull.

Did the ship move sideways when you fired a broadside? Did the ship want to roll?

It's a common misconception that the ship would roll or move sideways, but nothing of the sort happened. If there had been sideways movement equivalent to the blast, I guess every man aboard would have fallen down. Remember, we drew over 30 feet of water. The gun recoil system (four feet of recoil for the 16s) absorbs the kick; so no roll. The blast flattens the water and bow wave making it look like there is sideways movement. When I was on the flying bridge the blast was mind-numbing, but when I was down in gun plot on the second platform deck, the blast was muted to a rumble.

Truly badass...especially seeing the New Jersey (sister ship) fire a 9 gun broadside salvo out of the 16” main guns.

Still hard to wrap my head around a gun firing projectiles the size of a small car...

And throwing them a long, long way!

It's a common misconception that the ship would roll or move sideways, but nothing of the sort happened. If there had been sideways movement equivalent to the blast, I guess every man aboard would have fallen down. Remember, we drew over 30 feet of water. The gun recoil system (four feet of recoil for the 16s) absorbs the kick; so no roll. The blast flattens the water and bow wave making it look like there is sideways movement. When I was on the flying bridge the blast was mind-numbing, but when I was down in gun plot on the second platform deck, the blast was muted to a rumble.

When we did full power trials on the Iowa, I made it a point to go all the way aft and look UP at the wake and the four props (two four-bladed and two three-bladed) stirred up the ocean.

Crikey, that's just amazing. Going that fast while drawing 30 feet. That's just an immense amount of power. How fast did she really go Rich? I can't imagine ear plugs did you a damned bit of good during gun drills.

Rich,

I find your photos very interesting.

Isn't the Iowa, the battleship that had a powder explosion in the late 80's killing several dozen crewmen?

Jim

In April 1989, turret 2 center gun had the powder charge explode in the loading tray probably as it was being rammed. The final theory, after the Navy got done trying to blame a gay Sailor, was that the way the remixed powders had been loaded with a topping off layer in the bags caused friction and the consequent static charge release. We used that powder for the three years (83-86) I was assigned to the ship as the Weapons Department Head without problem. I guess it just wasn't my time to get screwed. I did not know any of the 47 dead, turnover by then renewing the 1500-man crew. They raised all the barrels of T2 to the normal 2000-minute position and welded it closed until the ship was decommissioned a year or so later.

Thanks so much for that detailed background, Rich. Amazing stories and photos.

Iowa holds the world record for longest range shore bombardment shot. I was there, and it was pretty much my fault we had to do it.

Something I said to a NY Times reporter we carried aboard from Norfolk to Brooklyn, NY, the ship's birthplace, about the recent USS New Jersey shoot-up of a Muslim extremist hideout caused him to write that battleships were inaccurate, and so Congress put a hold on the USS Missouri and USS Wisconsin recommissioning funds. I was held blameless because our vaunted Navy PR folks had not warned us about the hostile nature of this t__d, but nonetheless, I had single-handedly scuttled two BBs! Secretary of the Navy Lehman gave me the opportunity to fix this when he started pelting us with questions about what I thought (based upon my comments in the NYT) we needed to conduct an accurate long-range shoot. We had already been partially loaded with more consistently burning re-mixed 16"/45 powder of which I had mentioned Jersey had none. Because explosive 16-inch projectiles were not allowed at our then gun range at Viequez Island at Puerto Rica and because the only dud bullets made for our 16"/50 guns were the 2700-pound armor piercing AND because 16"/45 remix could not be loaded behind the heavy projectiles, we needed some dud projectiles for our lighter (1800-pound) high explosive rounds to shoot and we wanted them weighed to within 20 pounds of each other to reduce dispersion. 90% of our 1200 round loadout was this HE round since there were no enemy BBs in the world. "Done" says SECNAV, and the next thing we know we are ordered to Roosevelt Roads, PR where a large landing craft came out to us with fifty shiny new dud HE rounds along with the commanding officer of Naval Weapons Station, Crane, IN who shepherded them aboard a C-5 transport and down to us after his people had steamed the bursting charges out of them and refilled them with carefully weighed vermiculite. So now it was in our hands as we eased over to the range and began firing at 15-20,000 yards to loosen up a little and get a feel for this new setup. Eventually, after some problems like a failed velocimeter in T2 necessitating spending the night moving projectiles from it to T3 at the aft end of the ship, we ended up at 22 nautical miles from the target and only semi-able to see the observation post (a safety requirement). We were given the target coordinates and lofted the round to 37,000-foot altitude with a hang time of several minutes and awaited our fate to be given us by a spot onto the target. "Up 50 (yards)," came the voice over the radio, and bedlam broke out in gun plot as we all back slapped and whooped it up because had it been an explosive round, the spotter ashore would have probably called target destroyed or neutralized. We had let the C.O. of NWS Crane pull the trigger on that one so we could blame him if we muffed it. SECNAV took my hand-drawn plot of the shots all around the target and superimposed them over the Capitol building and marched over there and got funding restored, and I got a Meritorious Service Medal. Whew, from zero to hero in nothing flat.

Attachments

• congressional shoot over cong office bldg.jpg
    congressional shoot over cong office bldg.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 44
On land many of the newer shells have a GPS and steerable addition , so real accuracy is common.

Don't they have this for BIG! shells?

Rich, thank you so much for the pix and info. The thing we love about the North Carolina, is that you can see every beautifully restored nook and cranny on board, with excellent documentation, including both written and video discussion by people who served on the ship in various capacities. It really does take an entire day or better yet two to absorb it all.

Any of you Loopers or ICW snow birds really should make the side trip up to Wilmington, and the city itself is a lovely stop in and of itself.

I enjoyed my visit to the North Carolina many years back. I remember the hammock hooks that were welded to the bulkheads in the airy main deck areas. The South Dakotas and Iowas had no such holdovers from the past. The Texas is a really interesting tour because it is about two generations before the NC. I forget which ship the curators took an oxy cutting torch to the barbette of turret two on the first platform deck and cut an access into the thing so folks can see into that awesomely large space and get a real idea of the guts of a turret.

That reminds me about what happened on one of my daily tours. My area of responsibility being four CIWS mounds, three turrets, six 5"/38 mounts, eight Tomahawk box launchers, and four harpoon missile racks along with all the deep magazines spread throughout the ship, there was no way I had time to walk through even a significant fraction of them all on a daily basis, that was the jobs of the two lieutenant commanders, four lieutenants, and a few ensigns and all their chief petty officers who worked for me to accomplish. However, I made my presence known by hitting a selected area or two daily, and one day I was climbing through turret two during lunch when nobody was around but me when the shore power dropped out leaving me, at the moment climbing over the massive electric train motor in the crowded machinery space way dow under the gun pits, in utter stygian darkness. It's like a coal mine kinda black down there, and I was not carrying my maglite (never again!). I waited a bit to see if the lights might not come back on, but nooo, of course they didn't. I slowly felt my way over to a vertical ladder and eventually emerged through a hatch into the bottom of the center gun's pit where way up above me I saw a slight glow coming through the tiny portlight in the door between the center gun house and the booth area to the rear of the turret. That was light reflected off the teak deck and up through the ventilating holes in the bottom of the booth deck, and was enough to guide me farther until I emerged on deck.

On land many of the newer shells have a GPS and steerable addition , so real accuracy is common.

Don't they have this for BIG! shells?

GPS guided shells can be handy for fixed targets, but they are not really as accurate as a laser guided round homing in on the dot projected onto the target by a drone, aerial observer, gun director, or a grunt on the ground. The Navy gun gurus came up with all sorts of ideas including laser guided 16-inch shells and saboted 11-inch rounds to extend range to, well, waaay out there. We did have a test laser-guided five inch shell which a friend of mine, as XO of the evaluation destroyer, just loved, but it was awkward to load into the auto-loading systems and was dropped by the Navy. In the end, the Pioneer drone was launched from the battleships, and with a TV monitor in gun plot, the fire control team could use the already considerable accuracy of the guns to make short work of targets ashore. Even without that assistance, using reduced charge firing under 20,000 yards, we could place a swimming pool sized hole in any part of your backyard you wanted it.

I agree with Rich the Texas is a great tour as well. But they are all great in their own way.
And besides battleships, there's the Hornet aircraft carrier in Alameda, CA, the Turner Joy destroyer in Bremerton WA and the Blueback submarine in Portland OR.

I agree with Rich the Texas is a great tour as well. But they are all great in their own way.
And besides battleships, there's the Hornet aircraft carrier in Alameda, CA, the Turner Joy destroyer in Bremerton WA and the Blueback submarine in Portland OR.

And many more. Google Navy memorial ships for one near you. In Evansville, IN, there is the last LST (LST 325) which participated in D-Day, and they run it up and down the rivers once in a while.

I note that the two of you have your ears properly plugged AND you know to keep your mouths open too so the concussion is equalized. :D

Wow, Rich! BB 61 Gun Boss. You never know who you're going to run into on TF.

When the word went out to the USNR looking for Gunners Mates with 16"/50 experience for voluntary recall in the early '80s to man the BBs, they couldn't take all the qualified VN era volunteers. These were civilian mid-career people you wouldn't think would take that step. By then, almost all were resrve GMG1 and GMCs. Loved to hear the sound of those guns, one told me.

Training the gunners mates on the old 5"/38 and the 16"/50 guns, we established a training course right there in Pascagoula. Access to the ship was limited because of all the work going on, but one turret and one gun mount were eventually made available as well as the two gun plots and directors for each system so that classroom training and hands-on training could be mixed together. There were no qualified battleship sailors from earlier generations; so the Navy took in some volunteers with bag gun experience in heavy cruisers. These people had been pretty junior back when they got their experience and tended to be senior enlisted when we got the very few we did. More current experience was available from USS New Jersey which had been in commission for a year or more, and two turret men, a chief and a first class gunners mate were reassigned to Iowa. For the most part we were self taught with some assistance from older experienced people and the training course. Within a year, all the volunteers were returned to their civilian pursuits, and we were up and running training new people on board.

Something I said to a NY Times reporter we carried aboard from Norfolk to Brooklyn, NY, the ship's birthplace, about the recent USS New Jersey shoot-up of a Muslim extremist hideout caused him to write that battleships were inaccurate, and so Congress put a hold on the USS Missouri and USS Wisconsin recommissioning funds. I was held blameless because our vaunted Navy PR folks had not warned us about the hostile nature of this t__d, but nonetheless, I had single-handedly scuttled two BBs! Secretary of the Navy Lehman gave me the opportunity to fix this when he started pelting us with questions about what I thought (based upon my comments in the NYT) we needed to conduct an accurate long-range shoot. We had already been partially loaded with more consistently burning re-mixed 16"/45 powder of which I had mentioned Jersey had none. Because explosive 16-inch projectiles were not allowed at our then gun range at Viequez Island at Puerto Rica and because the only dud bullets made for our 16"/50 guns were the 2700-pound armor piercing AND because 16"/45 remix could not be loaded behind the heavy projectiles, we needed some dud projectiles for our lighter (1800-pound) high explosive rounds to shoot and we wanted them weighed to within 20 pounds of each other to reduce dispersion. 90% of our 1200 round loadout was this HE round since there were no enemy BBs in the world. "Done" says SECNAV, and the next thing we know we are ordered to Roosevelt Roads, PR where a large landing craft came out to us with fifty shiny new dud HE rounds along with the commanding officer of Naval Weapons Station, Crane, IN who shepherded them aboard a C-5 transport and down to us after his people had steamed the bursting charges out of them and refilled them with carefully weighed vermiculite. So now it was in our hands as we eased over to the range and began firing at 15-20,000 yards to loosen up a little and get a feel for this new setup. Eventually, after some problems like a failed velocimeter in T2 necessitating spending the night moving projectiles from it to T3 at the aft end of the ship, we ended up at 22 nautical miles from the target and only semi-able to see the observation post (a safety requirement). We were given the target coordinates and lofted the round to 37,000-foot altitude with a hang time of several minutes and awaited our fate to be given us by a spot onto the target. "Up 50 (yards)," came the voice over the radio, and bedlam broke out in gun plot as we all back slapped and whooped it up because had it been an explosive round, the spotter ashore would have probably called target destroyed or neutralized. We had let the C.O. of NWS Crane pull the trigger on that one so we could blame him if we muffed it. SECNAV took my hand-drawn plot of the shots all around the target and superimposed them over the Capitol building and marched over there and got funding restored, and I got a Meritorious Service Medal. Whew, from zero to hero in nothing flat.
22 nautical miles and 37,000 feet up and you came witin 50 yards of the target? Simply amazing. Here is one man's opinion. Despite the cost, I don't care how much it costs, I think our Navy should keep one of these ships in commission. So what that a mission for her might be rare but to see her sail the seas and visit foreign ports of call would be a message all by herself. And, the sailors who man her? All must be volunteers and be the best. It would be an honor to sail on her.

Well, I was definitely a volunteer, cuz coming off of a tour as XO of a DDG, the Navy was offering me XO on a friggin never-go-to-sea destroyer tender (puke!!!) or maybe this BB job. That was a no-brainer. In response to your comment, a LARGE part of our mission was "presence" missions where we went to places like Central and South America as well as the Baltic conducting firepower demos for high government officials. This relieved the carriers from this mission. As the Weapons Officer, I actually hated firepower demos because they required non-standard operations and commands which we would not use in combat, and thus they were counterproductive in achieving combat readiness. However, I will say we worked hard at our performance and over a period of time developed a well-choreographed and impressive show where we first fired a few bursts from one of our four 3,000-round a minute Close-in Weapon Systems (CIWS) followed by the three five-inch twin gun mounts on the engged side training out in unison and conducting a rolling barrage which ended as the big guns were seen training out. We then shot a couple of single rounds from T1 after which all six 5-inch and all nine 16-inch were loaded for a broadside. The minimum range for the nine 16-inch HE rounds to impact water and put up a tremendous grey/white curtain of water was about five miles so we set the able-able common 5-inch projectiles to explode a few hundred yards short of the 16-inch curtain and 60 feet in the air allowing shrapnel to lash the water to a froth in front of the curtain. One day off El Salvador, an Army Caribou C-123 being flown by a reservist, probably flying guns to the El Salvadorans, almost ran into this display. Our operations department, responsible for clearing the area, never saw him, but I ran into him at the Ilopongo airport in San Salvador as he related this mysterious apparition which nearly swatted him down. Told him I had NO idea what he was talking to and quickly walked out to the Huey I was using to pick up the El Salvadoran Supreme Court for the day's firepower demo. After that I never talked to strange Army pilots in foreign airports.:popcorn:

...Still hard to wrap my head around a gun firing projectiles the size of a small car...

They weigh the same as a small car, but are a lot smaller than a car. When was the last time you saw a car that was 16" in diameter?

Back
Top Bottom