ultra sonic hull cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW- I have been a professional hull diver for over 28 years and my little company has provided more than 42,000 in-water hull cleanings during that time. To my certain knowledge not one of the many thousands of boats we have serviced has ever had an ultrasonic system installed. The bottom line is that almost nobody uses ultrasonic anti fouling systems, and there's a reason for that.

I'm a little confused here. I'm still on the fence regarding this technology, but I have NO first hand experience, only anecdotal, so I'll keep any ill informed opinions to myself.

You however claim 28 years of experience providing more than 42,000 cleanings, and freely admit that NONE of those 42,000 cleanings gave you any first hand knowledge of these systems . . . . yet you're FIRMLY of the opinion that they don't work and actively post that opinion multiple times on every thread that brings them up . . . but you don't have ANY first hand knowledge about them?!? :confused: :whistling:

Sorry, but I have to admit I'm in Hippo's camp here on following the money when you "weight" people's opinions . . . . .

There's a guy at our marina who has a "CleanAHull" Ultrasonic system. He hasn't had a diver on his boat in the year and a half that we've been here. He has just a tiny bit of soft growth from what I can see. No barnacles. Neighboring boats have 2' of streaming aquaculture. That's pretty impressive.

If our hull was not cored, I'd consider installing a system . . . heck, I'm considering it even WITH a cored hull. The inner hull can be hole cut and the "core" material removed and glass and resin laid up and faired in to rebuild the hull in a solid configuration for placement of the required sound heads. But since my boat does not have them now, and I've never had a boat with them, I would certainly try and convince others, either way to buy . . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a guy at our marina who has a "CleanAHull" Ultrasonic system. He hasn't had a diver on his boat in the year and a half that we've been here. He has just a tiny bit of soft growth from what I can see. No barnacles. Neighboring boats have 2' of streaming aquaculture. That's pretty impressive.

Why is it always, "There's a guy at my marina who has one..." or, "I saw a video..." etc., etc. Get back to me when one of you expert advocates actually drops the spank to put a system on your boat. :D

The guy was paid to install the ultrasonic system, so it's hardly an unbiased review. I'm just spitballin' here, but my guess is he'd like to install more of them.

You know what they say- If it sounds too good to be true etc. etc.

Ok, so he did a one time install and gave feedback that the owner told him and since he was paid to install the system he can’t be believed. Do you get paid to clean the boat bottoms and doesn’t that beg the question that you may have the same conflict on the other side. If people install these systems it may put you out of work???

If people install these systems it may put you out of work???

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, if ultrasonic systems were going to be a threat to my livelihood, I think I'd have had some indication that was going to be the case. Yet here I am, twenty eight years and 42,000 hull cleanings in and I have yet to lose a client or even have a reduction in cleaning frequency due to an ultrasonic device.

Yeah, I'm not too worried. :D

Yet here I am, twenty eight years and 42,000 hull cleanings in and I have yet to lose a client or even have a reduction in cleaning frequency due to an ultrasonic device.

That's impressive! Averages six hulls per work-day for 28-years! Wow!

Peter

I'm too old to do that level of work anymore. That's why I have a crew of six divers these days. But yes, we are very busy.

Last edited:

Peter

Yep, that's a WHALE of a work ethic!:D:dance:

I deleted the section on vent fans, as I meant to post that on another thread . . .:nonono:

Last edited:
“They’ve been around for probably close to a decade now and most people who work with marine mammal bioacoustics had also never heard of these devices. Now they’re pervasive,” said Trickey. The devices also use the same frequency band that marine mammals use to communicate, find prey, and navigate their environment. “From the link.

“Pervasive “ so the authors think they’re in common usage. Of interest they also say they don’t want them protected habitat but are ok with usage elsewhere. They further note cruise ships are using them.
Agree endangering whales is not something I’d endorse but obviously this citation supports the argument that they work and are cost effective at least for large vessels. Yet another source supporting effectiveness.
Would note the generally accepted practice in science is to not base your conclusions upon a single study. However if several studies done by different groups of researchers lead to similar results the conclusion is very much more supported. Here the logic is congruent with what we know about cetacean biology so would tentatively agree sonic antifouling is not unlikely harmful to them. I’ve seen whales in all my current and past cruising grounds. Until this issue has more hard science one way or the other would be reluctant to employ this technology given my cruising pattern.
Still there maybe a place for it. Again from the Scripps link

“The UA devices have a negative effect, Trickey said, but there are places where they could be used with minimal habitat impact, “but marine sanctuaries and protected areas are biologically rich, productive habitats. Those are what we’re trying to protect.”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom