Transporting cape Dory cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am trying to see if I can transport a Cape Dory 28 cruiser with a flybridge. Cannot find the measurements to estimate bridge height. I

I had a Cape Dory hardtop years ago but no flybridge. There used to be a Cape Dory users group but I think it is now defunct. But I think that there is still a Facebook page that you could ask.

Having seen flybridge CD 28s and knowing that I had to remove he radar to ship my MS Pilot 34 which has no flybridge, I suspect it will be impossible to ship a CD 28 without removing the flybridge.

I think it is a simple task to remove and replace it since most were built with a hardtop and the flybridge was a simple add on, but shipping it along with the hull is another problem.

If you haven't bought it yet I am curious as to what engine it has and performance figures you are expecting. I have some data from a friend's Volvo 200 powered flybridge model and I could extrapolate my own Chrysler 275 hp gasser data if it is that engine.

David

A couple years back I sold my Cape Dory 28 Flybridge . It was located in Maryland and transported to Tampa Fl.. They had to remove the flybridge for transport. Jeff

Hat’s off to Eastbay for calling a cruiser a cruiser.

Nice lobsterboat type.

MollyGrey’s CD is sure a beautiful boat and I’d not call anyone out for calling her out as a trawler. And a good case could be made for calling her a trawler but she’s more of a cruiser. So I’d like to call out a cheer for Eastbay’s calling the CD a cruiser.

But the more I think of it and think if she was 38’ instead of 28’ .. would she be best as a cruiser or a trawler? Hard call

Last edited:
My Ellis 28 was brought on a truck from Maine to Miami with the flying bridge installed.

Attachments

• CDBF9DBF-11B6-47DD-ADAD-231162DCD197.jpg
    CDBF9DBF-11B6-47DD-ADAD-231162DCD197.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 15
  • FB00870F-D15D-4982-A0BD-2519A01B09F2.jpg
    FB00870F-D15D-4982-A0BD-2519A01B09F2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 11
I had a CD28 with a flybridge. Its borderline on the height to truck it. I forget exact height but I took the flybridge wind screen and throttle handles off when I had it transported to the ramp from the yard. When it got to the boat ramp it had a few leaves/branches in it from raking the trees. I unbolted the flybridge at one point and lifted it to rebed the hardware. Its not a tough job at all. Hardest part would be the throttle cables, helm hydraulics etc. If you are going more than a few miles, Id suggest removing the flybridge.

I am trying to see if I can transport a Cape Dory 28 cruiser with a flybridge. Cannot find the measurements to estimate bridge height. I

FWIW and IMHO, I would suggest getting a tape measure and measuring it yourself. The transporter will do it anyway, so you might as well know yourself beforehand and be able to tell them the height.

I've transported boats across the country four times, with varying levels of success. I've heard somewhat different things regarding the maximum allowable height. In part it depends on the route and clearances along the way. Generally I've been told 14'0" is the maximum allowed, which means no more than 13'6" or 13'8" for total boat height (to allow a few inches for the trailer).

The consequences of being off can be significant. A few inches can make a big difference. The least successful boat transport I had done involved a driver who decided to take a shortcut under an overpass - that was 8" lower than the loaded height of the boat. With the expected dramatic, and expensive, results. Not a good day for anyone, especially me. I'd suggest doing everything possible to avoid a similar experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom