Thermostat bypass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
These lines are already hooked up to my hot water heater I intend to remove hot water heater and hook same lines up to a Dickinson stove to heat the block and oil cooler the lower hose is hooked up to bottom of heat exchanger and the other is hooked into the forward lower port of the exhaust manifold do these bypass the thermostat so preheated coolant will circulate freely with a little help from 12v circulating pump,am I on the right track

Attachments

• 20210807_032815.jpg
    20210807_032815.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 18
Yes, but remember, any time the stove is on, it's heating the water in the coils and must have circulation. Otherwise it could turn to steam. If I remember right, when water transitions into steam it expands 16x. That quickly increases pressure. You could have an explosion, probably a hose, but it could be the tubing in the stove. You should have a pressure relief valve, like a home water heater, in the line, close to the stove as practical. I don't think you need a very big circulation pump. I'm guessing 2-3 gallons a minute or less. You could add a car type heater in the line to supply heat when running. Picture is what I use. One in each cabin or a couple in the main cabin. 28,000 or 40,000 btu.

To get the most out of the heating process, insulate the lines. Add shut off valves so if the lines to the stove leak, you can shut them off when running the engine without having to shutdown and drift. I'm guessing the engine lines are 1/2" and the coils are probably smaller, so you may need a regulating valve to slow the flow. Otherwise the the coolant may pass thru the stove too fast to pick up any real heat.

I use a pellet stove to heat my boiler/hydronic system. On each line I have a tee with a temperature gauge in the center port so I can see the water temp in & out of the stove. I use a 3 speed circulation pump to control the water temp.

Attachments

• Heaters.JPG
    Heaters.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 10
So the hoses in the picture already bypass the thermostat,like I said they run to my hot water heater but I'm taking that out so there will not be any steam from water,and your guess on the cipump size is exact,so if I'm guessing correctly the preheated coolant will pass through the oil cooler at the same time as heat exchanger and block

Back
Top Bottom