Switch positions while anchored.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey folks, your boat, turn off the breakers you want. If you feel the need to explain reasoning, fine. Maybe your explanation will change someone's mind but, dont get upset if your explanation does not change their mind. GENTLE SMILE

No issue with me Dan :) big smile.
Without an explanation, especially for someone new, it is just a statement of how one person does things. With explanation, possibly they get an understanding of why, possible pros and cons, and can maybe make a better determination of what they want to do. The only goal is get people to consider "other options". No expectation of change (for "old salts") or even convincing :) Even bigger smile.

No issue with me Dan :) big smile.
Without an explanation, especially for someone new, it is just a statement of how one person does things. With explanation, possibly they get an understanding of why, possible pros and cons, and can maybe make a better determination of what they want to do. The only goal is get people to consider "other options". No expectation of change (for "old salts") or even convincing :) Even bigger smile.

Goodie :lol:

firehoser, I have 13 breakers on the 12vt side of the main panel and 9 breakers plus the shore power generator lock out breakers.

I have come to the conclusion, on the 12vt side, if there isn't an identifying breaker, it the power source is from the house batteries. I would like to split out the 12vt side even more but "ain't no mo room" on the panel so, I just live with it. SHRUG
If I open all the 12vt breakers and 120vt breakers, the boat is not dead (disconnecting the shore power cables). There is an interesting breaker called the '24hr breaker', located near the rotary battery switches. Shut the battery switch to off and the boat is still not dead. The bilge pumps power supply is on the '24 hour breaker' plus maybe one other load (I forgot). Sometimes, life gets complicated LOL It is called, 'learning the boat'. I think that '24hr breaker' is pretty good. Unless you purposely open that breaker, as you leave the boat, you should expect to return to a floating boat. (2X130watt solar panels.)
Someone (the designer) really thought this through.
A life's lesson here, if you don't have a breaker for it, it's on the house batteries or the 24hr breaker.' One nice thing, it is difficult to make this a dead boat, electrically.

I typically leave breakers off unless they are in use, but I did learn one thing from this thread: Will make more of an effort to turn-off windlass breaker when anchored. I too have heard of the deck-switch malfunctioning as it's pretty exposed and the rubber boot/cover does crack over time.

I just replaced my panel, but 50+ year old breakers were working fine.

Thanks for the discussion -

Peter

firehoser, I have 13 breakers on the 12vt side of the main panel and 9 breakers plus the shore power generator lock out breakers.

I have come to the conclusion, on the 12vt side, if there isn't an identifying breaker, it the power source is from the house batteries. I would like to split out the 12vt side even more but "ain't no mo room" on the panel so, I just live with it. SHRUG
If I open all the 12vt breakers and 120vt breakers, the boat is not dead (disconnecting the shore power cables). There is an interesting breaker called the '24hr breaker', located near the rotary battery switches. Shut the battery switch to off and the boat is still not dead. The bilge pumps power supply is on the '24 hour breaker' plus maybe one other load (I forgot). Sometimes, life gets complicated LOL It is called, 'learning the boat'. I think that '24hr breaker' is pretty good. Unless you purposely open that breaker, as you leave the boat, you should expect to return to a floating boat. (2X130watt solar panels.)
Someone (the designer) really thought this through.
A life's lesson here, if you don't have a breaker for it, it's on the house batteries or the 24hr breaker.' One nice thing, it is difficult to make this a dead boat, electrically.
Dan,
Sounds like a good set up. Agree there should be some "always on" breakers, bilge pumps come to mind.

[I have a dedicated battery pack in the bow supplying the thruster and windlass. Disconnects and fuses are buried up there, so they're always powered up.]

We have a battery forward for the windlass and washdown pump. They are on a dedicated battery switch where we can do each separately or both. That's in addition to the on/off switch for each. Everything gets turned off at night.

Off the same battery we have a light switch to light the deck. It is within arm's reach of our bunk. This was put in as a deterrent if we should hear anyone coming aboard in the night. It could also be used to flash the light to get neighbor's attention.

Thank you everybody for your thoughtful replies. I'm glad to see that I am not alone in turning some switches off when not using the item or when anchored. The windlass breaker has always been an either or type of switch for me. My last boat had easily stepped-on deck switches, sometimes resulting in an over-torqued chain gypsy.

Thanks again, Bill

When I saw the title of this thread I assumed "switch" was a verb rather than a noun. Would have been a totally different string of responses.
That thought did occur to me also! :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom