Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Even I like the Frog. You can beach it yes. But only on a rising tide. It would take four big guys to pack that puppy above high tide and only if you removed the engine first.

How about the 10' with only a 9.9 or 15hp motor?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Look on Craigslist. I bought an AB in very good condition for less than half the new price.
DC36Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #23
Guru

City: Miami
We still have a 2003 Achilles hypalon we use with a 2 stroke Yamaha 15. Bought it from defender new. The whole package engine incl weighs around 200 pounds. We roll it up and keep it in a deck box when it's not being used.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Walker Bay has a 20% off sale right now, USA only. I really like my hypalon Supertender... no relation, connection or birddogs.
Could be useful for OP.

We have a WB Genesis 310FTD Hypalon model and we're reasonably satisfied. The floor arrangement is comfortable, and storage is useful. In fact, we bought an extra athwartships seat, since there are two installation positions, partly for additional off-the-tubes seating and partly for extra storage,

The folding transom feature is no longer useful for us, since we got a trailer (hence don't have to stuff the thing into the back of our Suburban for en route to winter storage).

The 340 has slightly higher load limits, but the only difference is in tube length at the stern; interior space remains the same. I wasn't sure I had enough leeway on our mothership to carry the 340 athwartships on the transom, though...

We bought ours from the local dealer; can't tell how that might have affected price, but it's a dealer we've known and have confidence in...

-Chris
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Interesting thread!! I dread the day I need to look for a dinghy when my current one finally tells me "ENOUGH!"

For many years I listened to people telling me "they don't build them (whatever them happened to be) today like they used to!" I often challenged if they meant better construction, better safety considerations, better engineering? Most times I responded by saying "darned good thing they don't!"

Back to the dinghy. Mine is an old Avon 10RIB that I purchased so long ago, that many then young people have married, raised and educated children and those children now have children. Yeah....1987! And my old Avon continues to perform admirably. The fiberglass bottom features a double layer of fiberglass to provide a small bilge that helps keep our feet dry. As I type, it remains sitting in its chocks mounted onto our shrink wrapped Silverton's bow waiting to perform for another year.

Maybe there are replacement products sold that can emulate the fine performance we continue to enjoy with our Avon........but I doubt it. I just wish these old dinghies were still being manufactured.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
That is a very impressive service record foggy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #27

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Interesting thread!! I dread the day I need to look for a dinghy when my current one finally tells me "ENOUGH!"

For many years I listened to people telling me "they don't build them (whatever them happened to be) today like they used to!" I often challenged if they meant better construction, better safety considerations, better engineering? Most times I responded by saying "darned good thing they don't!"

Back to the dinghy. Mine is an old Avon 10RIB that I purchased so long ago, that many then young people have married, raised and educated children and those children now have children. Yeah....1987! And my old Avon continues to perform admirably. The fiberglass bottom features a double layer of fiberglass to provide a small bilge that helps keep our feet dry. As I type, it remains sitting in its chocks mounted onto our shrink wrapped Silverton's bow waiting to perform for another year.

Maybe there are replacement products sold that can emulate the fine performance we continue to enjoy with our Avon........but I doubt it. I just wish these old dinghies were still being manufactured.
Wow 1987 that is crazy. I'm sure in addition to an excellent product that is also the result of some TLC on your part!
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I just threw away a 1988 Avon with plywood floors as the stitching was going bad.

Was a light to medium use boat, but still held air well and the hypalon looked great.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We've had the hypalon 10'4" Achilles for 10 years and it gets heavy use. It's our car/4 wheel drive. With 2 adults/the pooch and our 2 stroke 9.8 hp, it will fly. It's also pretty easy to get out of the water and into when snorkeling. The front locker is a plus. In the off season, it gets covered and we let the air out of the tubes. We'd buy another.

Achilles HB-315DX Rigid Hull (RIB) 10' 4", Gray Hypalon, 2016
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
In the off season, it gets covered and we let the air out of the tubes. We'd buy another.
Wifey B: Off season? You're in Jacksonville, not Boston. Why?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Off season? You're in Jacksonville, not Boston. Why?

Not now! We're in the Berry's
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0256.jpg   h9a.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Not now! We're in the Berry's
Wifey B: We just returned yesterday from the Abacos. Sea conditions at home sort of lousy today so no boating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote