Shortage of distilled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard of people breathing new life into their batteries by "spending a penny" into the battery.
Isn't it wonderful that urine has so many uses?
I wondered about that, but what of the practical difficulties of "directional accuracy" and "on/off control". Mind you, we had a footballer who drank his own "directly":eek:, so it`s possible.

And the presence of impurities. Allopurinol is prescribed to convert something to something else to avoid forming renal calculus,some take it for gout.

I wondered about that, but what of the practical difficulties of "directional accuracy" and "on/off control". Mind you, we had a footballer who drank his own "directly":eek:, so it`s possible.

And the presence of impurities. Allopurinol is prescribed to convert something to something else to avoid forming renal calculus, some take it for gout.

Cmon Bruce, surely you can thread the needle. If not use a funnel. With all these ideas who needs distilled water.

I have heard of people breathing new life into their batteries by "spending a penny" into the battery.
Isn't it wonderful that urine has so many uses?

You wouldn't want a short circuit while topping up your batteries! Mind you it could be a new cure for erectile dysfunction.

Perhaps a contributing factor to the 'shortage' are those who out of fear buy and horde ??

Funny, there are way more container ships anchored off ports as never before waiting to unload.

Shipping companies think there is a supply chain problem.....wonder why no one else would?

I do.

It started about 2 years ago with container shortages....went on to. Become huge shipping price increases and shutdowns of factories overseas due to covid and most recently emissions and energy concerns. Sure there are lots of reasons, but what are the major ones?

My guess it is the offloading and then distribution of product that is parking the big ships. Not enough truckers emptying the yards full of containers. Not enough bringing product to port for shipping. The handouts must stop and people go back to work to earn a living.

On that topic, I've often wondered if 'De-mineralized Water", available at most supermarkets, is good enough? Is it filtered, versus condensed?

A mechanic once told me that any clean water is better for a dry battery, than running partially empty, if you don't have distilled. Comments?

We had a Volkswagen Rabbit towed into our shop one day with a dead battery. I popped the caps off the battery and smelled.....beer.

We had a Volkswagen Rabbit towed into our shop one day with a dead battery. I popped the caps off the battery and smelled.....beer.

LOL, they must first drink the beer and wait for the refining process to be completed.

Funny, there are way more container ships anchored off ports as never before waiting to unload.

Shipping companies think there is a supply chain problem.....wonder why no one else would?

I do.

It started about 2 years ago with container shortages....went on to. Become huge shipping price increases and shutdowns of factories overseas due to covid and most recently emissions and energy concerns. Sure there are lots of reasons, but what are the major ones?

The Port of Los Angeles had 30% more containers than normal in August. Long Beach had 23% more. There are currently over 70 container ships anchored off Los Angeles waiting. Now Long Beach changed to 24 hour operation about three weeks ago and now Los Angeles is doing so. Still recognize that all these containers are not available to use for shipping at this time so Asian ports will continue to have a shortage of containers.

On top of this there's the truck driver shortage once the containers are processed.

My guess it is the offloading and then distribution of product that is parking the big ships. Not enough truckers emptying the yards full of containers. Not enough bringing product to port for shipping. The handouts must stop and people go back to work to earn a living.

The truck drivers are working. They are working at different and better jobs. Understand the shortages of drivers are people who were laid off due to lack of business. Many were independents with their own rigs. They found work near home and decided for very similar money, less financial risk, less taxing work and being home at night that they were fine without trucking. Many are now working in Amazon warehouses and similar jobs. Over the road drivers who have long careers with major reputable carriers do well, but that's not the totality of the industry. Now trucking has the challenge that getting new drivers takes time for the training and not a lot of people willing to invest in it.

Trucking and the restaurant business are two industries in which a lot of workers decided after being laid off and finding other work not to return to those industries.

The Port of Los Angeles had 30% more containers than normal in August. Long Beach had 23% more. There are currently over 70 container ships anchored off Los Angeles waiting...

A friend sent this to us yesterday afternoon. 18 Container ships were waiting to go in to Savanah. It seems to be similar at all major ports. Last week, ships were being diverted to Jacksonville which is a first.

Attachments

• Savanah.jpg
    Savanah.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 18
i get distilled water at any walmart! they all have filtered, and distilled! it says so on the 'LABEL"...clyde

A friend sent this to us yesterday afternoon. 18 Container ships were waiting to go in to Savanah. It seems to be similar at all major ports. Last week, ships were being diverted to Jacksonville which is a first.

Yes, Savannah has felt the pressure from ships rerouted from the West Coast.

Many have been perplexed about why the ports have been so fouled up. Some answers are starting to drift into general financial press. Don't shoot this messenger.

It isn't one thing. It's a number of things. It's like flights in Miami being canceled due to snow in O'Hare. In this case a lot of it stems from CA ports.

Apparently CA passed a law saying in 2030 all trucks have to be electric. As old trucks retire no one wants to buy diesel that are useless in 8 years. And there does not exist an electric replacement.

Apparently CA bowed to unions. The ports were more than half served by independent truckers, but now the independents are banned from the ports.

Now throw in covid and vax mandates and a material percentage of truckers who refuse.

So you have a shortage of trucks and truckers allowed to work the ports.

From there you have ships not shipping, and instead sit stationary.

Ditto with the containers they carry.

So the CA port system is among the most important in the world, and certainly critical to US shipping. In malfunction. With the Transportation Dept being AWOL on the topic.

While that's the explanation I read, no doubt there is more.

As the old saying goes, you can ignore reality but not the consequences of ignoring reality.

Just for the heck of it... in reference to and regarding the posts discussing expire dates on distilled water...

These photos show dates on hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol containers.

Guess everything has expire, sell-by and/or other reasons for dates stated these days.

For product freshness-life as well as stocking/manufacturing/shipping... if nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG_4834.jpg
    IMG_4834.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
Perhaps a contributing factor to the 'shortage' are those who out of fear buy and horde ??

Yep, can see it now. Someone dies, owns a home, and doesn't have any heirs . . . . the guy who is hired to inventory/prep the house for sale finds three bedroom stacked floor to ceiling with TP, and the garage filled with 4000 plastic jugs of distilled water!:whistling:

Supermarket in Yankton, South Dakota, distilled water shelves. Empty, bare. But notice the lower right edge of the photo, "drinking water," plenty of plastic jugs, fully stocked. 20211016_205537.jpg

And now, dont drink the water in Benton Harbor Michigan. Seems the lead content is pretty high and we all know a high lead content will inhibit brain development and make us stupid.
Of course we also know, the older we get the more brain cells naturally die off. So now we can only conclude it is a race between lead pipes leaching and normal die off. :D

WHAT IS THE TRUCK DRIVER SHORTAGE?
There appears to be a shortage of qualified professional truck drivers because drivers are leaving the industry and searching for jobs that offer better pay, benefits and working conditions.

The above from.... https://www.smart-trucking.com/truck-driver-shortage/

WHAT IS THE TRUCK DRIVER SHORTAGE?
There appears to be a shortage of qualified professional truck drivers because drivers are leaving the industry and searching for jobs that offer better pay, benefits and working conditions.

The above from.... https://www.smart-trucking.com/truck-driver-shortage/

Thanks for the link. Fellow that docks next to us has been a truck driver all his life, still is now. I'd say he's about 60 yrs. old. His story regarding his life driving truck mimics the general bent of article you provided link to.

Interestingly he can't swim and never takes his boat out... just uses it as a dock queen for relaxation and a few too many rowdy parties. Nice guy though. Guess if you spend all your life piloting tractor trailers over black top pavement there's not too often much time to learn boating or swimming?? :facepalm: :ermm:

Plus the info on Calif and electric trucks may be a bit more involved as in Calif banning independent drivers...the way I heard it it was non Calif compliant diesels that were banned, not independents.

Alway research detailed explanations on the web..too many may not report accurately..... and that includes me and some sources a reference.

I read yesterday, Calif is going to ban new the installation of gas stoves and furnaces.
I wonder how that will effect new boat industry.
With all these new regulations, Calif keeps shooting itself in the foot.
An Observation: More and more industries have moved or are planning to move out of Calif, reducing the tax revenue which will force the tax increase on the remaining people, to support the freebees and maintaining and improving the roads, water, power etc.

Duh, I didn't think of AC distillate, or in my case, the distillate from my dehumidifier on the boat . . . just dumped out a gallon this AM, and didn't even connect the two!:banghead:
Okay, my distilled water shortage just got solved! Thanks to all for the input . . .

As to why there is a shortage to begin with, I still have no idea. HOWEVER, on the idea that it is an engineered shortage to raise prices, I offer this thought . . .
Everyone was also out of "Purified Spring Water" in gallon jugs due to "supply issues", but most everyone had lots and LOTS of bottled water in smaller containers at much higher prices . . . Coincidence or by design?!?:whistling:

Surely you guys mean condensate?

A/C and dehumidifiers dont distill, they condense.

No matter if you use the condensate from the A/C or a dehumidifier, I encourage you to run it through a filter, perhaps a coffee filter? If you get a lot of stuff in the first pass, change the filter and repeat the process.
Both A/C and dehumidifier condensers can be dusty and dirty and 'we' dont want that in the battery.

Of course the media is behaving poorly by saying, "There may be a shortage of the following.", so everyone goes out, buys up the stock, creating a shortage.

Right now I find the shortage of 'red skin' Spanish peanuts rather annoying.
I may have to search amazon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom