Old 03-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Michael

If you are going to need a 75 ft cord at your home slip I suggest you talk to a marine electrician about a second shore power inlet on you boat so you can use a shorter cord.
+1
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Michael

If you are going to need a 75 ft cord at your home slip I suggest you talk to a marine electrician about a second shore power inlet on you boat so you can use a shorter cord.

Great idea. Thx.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When I had my sailboat in the slip that my trawler is in now I had to use 2 50' cords to reach the power inlet in the stern. It is not a good idea if you can help it, but as others have said sometimes you don't have a choice.

You can get a connecting ring that will provide a solid connection between the two cords and I would strongly recommend some dialectic grease to protect it. I would also suggest that you secure the two cords to you dock and NOT mess with the connection to the dock pedestal or the connection between the two cords.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #24

Mixed supply. Recommend 50 amp cord with 30 and adapter.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
My slip has two 30 amp outlets. How do you know if they are on alternate phases?
Plug in two shore power cords and measure the volts hot to hot between both cords?

There are no 50 amp receptacles at this marina.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #26
FF
Guru

My slip has two 30 amp outlets. How do you know if they are on alternate phases?

Purchase a cheapo volt meter.

Use the meter in each socket to measure the voltage between hot and neutral.

Should see 120V.

When you figure out which are the hot lines , measure them between the 2 sockets.

IF you see 240V you gave that voltage available , probably only 30A worth tho.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Should see 120V.

When you figure out which are the hot lines , measure them between the 2 sockets.

Will try that. Meter probes, wish they were longer. I tested the outlets simply for power when I moved to new marina, and took some fiddling to get a reading. Perhaps if I stuck in some long skinny nails will be easier to connect the probes.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:

Should see 120V.

Right. And if you measure 208V then you have picked up two legs of a three phase system.

I don't know if a reverse-Y will activate if you have 2 legs of a three phase system as opposed to the two legs of a split phase system.

Anyone know?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #29

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Quote:

Should see 120V.

I absolutely would not recommend trying to get 240 from this setup over any length of time. There's no guarantee that someone swapping a breaker or other wiring change won't put them back on the same leg
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Do most people leave their shore power cord at their home slip, or take it with them all the time?

I leave it at my slip and Only take it when I'm going to a place where I can plug in (Rare as we anchor out a lot..)....
Old 03-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
I absolutely would not recommend trying to get 240 from this setup over any length of time. There's no guarantee that someone swapping a breaker or other wiring change won't put them back on the same leg
Unless I am reading something wrong with all the non-standard marina outlets.....that's how every 125/250 pedestal is that I know of....some marinas are screwed up and have every other pedestal wired for out of phase...but worrying about it changing without notice seems a bit over the top.

And you really aren't looking for 240, just 2 legs of 110 out of phase so your smart Y will work.

The boat only needs 110, but the Y assumes you might need 250.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Right. And if you measure 208V then you have picked up two legs of a three phase system.

I don't know if a reverse-Y will activate if you have 2 legs of a three phase system as opposed to the two legs of a split phase system.

Anyone know?

I don't know.. but the instructions for our reverse-Y (Marinco product) says we need 208V minimum.

-Chris
Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I don't know.. but the instructions for our reverse-Y (Marinco product) says we need 208V minimum.

-Chris
Well, I'd say that suggests the answer is Yes, though not definitive.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #34

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Mine came with 2 30 amp receptacles. Was tripping breaker when running all 4 A/C units so dealer converted to 1 50 amp receptacle.

I use this "Smart Y" to connect to the 2 30 amps on the shore power pedestal. I do take all of it with me when traveling.

By the way, the dealer put in a CATV connection in place of the abandoned 30 amp receptacle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7911.jpg   IMG_7908.jpg  
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #35
Guru

City: Z
Looking at a a new-ish (two year old boat) that has a 50 amp connection. My dock only has 30 amp connections available. I am more confused after reading this thread but am guessing I can just get a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter and just need to manage my load to keep the boat draw under 30 amps as to not trip any breakers? Where does 125 v 250 come into play if at all? I think all appliances on the boat are 110v. If I happen to get access to a second 30 amp at my dock or when traveling, can I use any Y-adapter or do I need to worry about 125 v 250 with that? Thank you in advance!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #36

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
You will need access to two 30 Amp connections and a "Y" adapter, like the one in the photo.

I found out (the hard way) that my "Smart Y" requires that the 30's be "out of phase" in order to work. I believe that this simply means that the black and white wires need to be dissimilarly connected to the two 30 amp receptacles.

Someone with more electrical expertise can confirm and advise you better.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
You will need access to two 30 Amp connections and a "Y" adapter, like the one in the photo.

I found out (the hard way) that my "Smart Y" requires that the 30's be "out of phase" in order to work. I believe that this simply means that the black and white wires need to be dissimilarly connected to the two 30 amp receptacles.

Why wouldn't something like this work: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...1?recordNum=24 ?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #38
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Mystery:

Your newish boat almost certainly has two 120V busses. Each buss is fed from one leg of the 240V supply to produce 120V. Most boats of this size don't have any 240V users. All users are supplied from one of the 120V busses.

If the boat doesn't have any 240V loads like most, then with a special adapter you can feed both busses from one 120V 30A supply. But some combination of appliances may pull more current than 30A can supply and you will trip the shore power breaker. You can do the same thing with a 120V 50A supply but that is rare.

As noted above if you can find two 30A shorepower outlets nearby that are opposite phases then with a smart reverse Y adapter you can combine the two to supply 240V 30A which will feed each buss on your boat independently and double your wattage supply.
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post

Not quite right about black and white wires...actually there are 2 hots coming to each pedestal that are opposite. One 30A should be one and the other on the other hot leg that is 180 out in phase...

I hate simplifying it as some tech guy knows better, but basically that what a smart y cord needs.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Mystery:

Your newish boat almost certainly has two 120V busses. Each buss is fed from one leg of the 240V supply to produce 120V. Most boats of this size don't have any 240V users. All users are supplied from one of the 120V busses.

If the boat doesn't have any 240V loads like most, then with a special adapter you can feed both busses from one 120V 30A supply. But some combination of appliances may pull more current than 30A can supply and you will trip the shore power breaker. You can do the same thing with a 120V 50A supply but that is rare.

As noted above if you can find two 30A shorepower outlets nearby that are opposite phases then with a smart reverse Y adapter you can combine the two to supply 240V 30A which will feed each buss on your boat independently and double your wattage supply.
I will check to see if there are any 240v appliances. What is the difference between 220/230/240/250? The manual does reference 230v appliances but the spec sheet says they are all 110v so there is some conflict there I need to get to the bottom of. I think I can manage the load OK by running 1-2 of the 4 AC units and turning them or one off for water heater use. I currently have one 30 amp on my boat and I guess I can see if she trips with everything running at once...