Sampson post imploded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clamdigger358

Vessel Name
Universal
Vessel Make
Litton
Here’s an interesting incident. While anchored in 40 knot winds one day, my Sampson post started rising out of the deck. We got to safe harbor to assess the damage and it seems the post was not fastened below deck. The pressure on the bow pulpit caused the chain locker (fiberglassed in shelf for the chain) to break loose which was the only thing holding the Sampson post secure. I have a 36 universal built in 1978. It seems the original post made from teak was rotted from the inside and not fastened below. Has anyone ever heard of this? No bolts holding the post in? I would imagine it would be bolted into the forward bulkhead with the chain shelf fiberglassed in. Sampson post is now replaced with 5 by 5 treated pine and I was thinking of tying the post in with an aluminum plate from the inside of the bulkhead. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

CD
Is the windlass structurally challenged also? Two years ago I saw a vessel, newer than yours, where the foredeck area encompassing the post and windlass had rotted out and needed a rebuild.

Windless

My windless is tied to pulpit and secure to post. It stoped working during incident and I think electrical failure from the post moving up and down.

A photo taking inside the chain locker would assist in understanding the structure, why it failed and what to do on renewal.

My Taiwan build has a 5x5 Sampson post that attaches below the deck to a ~3x3 beam that runs athwartship, ties to a shelf on each side, so is going nowhere. Above the deck the plank that supports the windlass ties into the Sampson post, giving the whole assembly the rigidity desired. More photos above deck would also help understand your failure. Opportunities for water to wet my Sampson post are nil, so check to see how you can keep the water away from your replacement. Teak is more resistant to rot than your replacement will be, even though treated.

i have the same problem rotten post and cross brace .i am planning on tabbing mine to the hull it should rest in the v . and also making a more substantial chain locker floor. mine has not done the lifting thing yet . in above 25kt winds i run dock lines back to the hawse holes to take the load off the pull pit . i would love to see you work on yours .i have mine sealed up better and it may be a few years before it's fixed .

Would be interested in seeing pics of the damage. This is exactly why I like to use a bridle, attached on either side of the bow to cleats, or posts if installed.

Sampson post is now replaced with 5 by 5 treated pine and I was thinking of tying the post in with an aluminum plate from the inside of the bulkhead. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Treated, how? I'm not up to speed on the specifics, but seem to recall various no-no's associated with using 'regular' treated wood around various metals. I'd think a check on what you've got and the risks related to how it was treated would be worth understanding.

i have the same problem rotten post and cross brace .i am planning on tabbing mine to the hull it should rest in the v . and also making a more substantial chain locker floor. mine has not done the lifting thing yet . in above 25kt winds i run dock lines back to the hawse holes to take the load off the pull pit . i would love to see you work on yours .i have mine sealed up better and it may be a few years before it's fixed .

Dont mean to hijack the post but my boat has a robust sampson post and i have hawsholes with cleat each side of the bow. I use a bridle from the anchor chain to the cleats. Am i supposed to utilize the sampson post?

Dont mean to hijack the post but my boat has a robust sampson post and i have hawsholes with cleat each side of the bow. I use a bridle from the anchor chain to the cleats. Am i supposed to utilize the sampson post?

i do the same as you but i just clinch dock line around the anchor rode .(not all chain). however the samson post should be very strong i used mine and still do to secure extra dock lines for named storms .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom