Private Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdg1959

I bought a 49 ft DeFever RPH back in the spring and was just wondering if it is possible to find a vacant lot that I could build a dock for it (4.5 ft draft).
Preferably along the coast of SC, GA, AL or FL panhandle for 200k or less? The intent would be to build a house on it one day. It is currently at a marina in Beaufort, SC. I wouldn't be opposed to being inland somewhat but not to far.

Thanks

I used a real estate agent in the vicinity I was interested in and he would send me listings of waterfront lots. This was in a rural area of southern Maryland and the search probably covered 50 miles or so. I would refine his search parameters after reviewing them. We did this about 5 times before I found the lot for me. I travelled and looked at several of the more promising ones. This process worked well for me. I purchased the lot and then later had a dock and house built on it. Be sure to check local building codes for ability to build a dock and also the MLW at the site. Good luck!

Your biggest issue may be permits. We used to go to a great restaurant that had a dock - got carried away by Irma. They are unable to rebuild on Broad Creek near Hilton Head due to the inability to get permits. Be sure you get a good understanding of permits before you invest. Also, these docks may be hard to insure, but others here may have a better idea on insurance.

Definitely. If you went a bit farther south to Hernando Beach, Hudson or New Port Richey Florida you could find one for much less.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6416-Yvette-Dr-Hudson-FL-34667/46437389_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4469-Neptune-Dr-Spring-Hill-FL-34607/2077763391_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Neptune-Dr-Spring-Hill-FL-34607/2078462340_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3RD-Isle-Dr-7-Hernando-Beach-FL-34607/2081057828_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4396-Tahiti-Dr-Hernando-Beach-FL-34607/304025358_zpid/

The ones in Hernando Beach are on a pretty deep canal system and there is a small working port there with a fleet of shrimp and fishing vessels that go out daily and nightly. Also several DIY facilities and full service that have travel lifts.

Last edited:
Buy the lot, build two docks on it and then build a duplex to live in. The rent from the extra dock and the other side of the condo will more than cover your payment. You live for free and dock your boat for free.

pete

A did something similar. My wife likes to say I bought a slip on the ICW in St Pete Beach FL that came with a condo. The condo has turned out to be a decent VRBO investment and the slip is deeded so decent offset since I won't pay slip rent once my boat is in Florida. But wouldn't work for a larger boat. Most condos with slips max out at 25-30 footers.

A good friend bought a Horizon 52 Power Cat a few years ago. He originally planned to liveaboard and cruise from a home base somewhere on Florida gulf coast. He didn't know how hard it would be to find a slip for a cat - north of $1500/mo. He ended up buying a decent house in a canal in N Redington Beach FL. Permits were difficult but he eventually built a dock. In the twisted economics boat owners rationalize, he figures he's saving money.

Peter

You just need to get in writing from the seller or real estate agent that the property is suitable for it's intended purpose. For example: Buyer intends to construct a dock for a 48' boat which draws 5' of water, and the Seller warrants that the waterway is of a minimum depth of 6' at the waterfront of the property, all the way out to the ocean. They may not sign it, but if not, you need to feel comfortable that the waterway meets your needs.

I needed to get a permit to build a cover over the slip for my GB42 when we bought our property (house included) in 1999. The rule is you can permit to cover over (with pier or whatever) 10 square feet of the State of Florida's bottom land for each linear foot of waterfront at your property. The pier was already there and had been for many years and was 400 SF of coverage, and my cover was going to be another 800-plus SF. Had I gone personally to get this permit, I dunno how it would have been received, but since that was handled by the long-time contractor here, it got done, and I did not ask stupid questions.

The water depth 1.5 boat lengths from the channel was insufficient at anything but high tide. So after the boat cover was built, I brought the boat up from the marina and did a lot of powerful "engine testing" at high tide with every cleat on the boat secured to a piling. Problem solved.

If there is seagrass in the area you wish to cover, all bets are off.

My guess is that in the panhandle if the lot is suitable for a larger boat slip, it is already there. I happened on one of those marginal spots 21 years ago which I was able to improve upon.

I bought a 49 ft DeFever RPH back in the spring and was just wondering if it is possible to find a vacant lot that I could build a dock for it (4.5 ft draft).
Preferably along the coast of SC, GA, AL or FL panhandle for 200k or less? The intent would be to build a house on it one day. It is currently at a marina in Beaufort, SC. I wouldn't be opposed to being inland somewhat but not to far.

Thanks

The devil is in the details. Docks are self insured & typically pretty long to get the at least 6ft you will need under your keel at MLLW in the South or will clog your AC filter daily (example: Marsh Harbor Marina - just up the AICW from you presently). What will be your hurricane plan? Not saying it can’t be done, but....

The devil is in the details. Docks are self insured & typically pretty long to get the at least 6ft you will need under your keel at MLLW in the South or will clog your AC filter daily (example: Marsh Harbor Marina - just up the AICW from you presently). What will be your hurricane plan? Not saying it can’t be done, but....

I doubt anybody needs at least 6 feet under the keel at MLLW. I am happy with 1 or 2 which equates to around 6 feet water depth at MLLW for my GB42. My boat lift and cover is insured as part of my USAA "other structures" section of my house insurance. Was glad to have it after Michael destroyed mine. Now the pier (or dock as many like to call it) was not insured but survived just fine because it was underwater when the 120 MPH winds hit us. If it had been blown down, its reconstruction would have been one tenth of the cost of the lift and 48' by 18' cover over the slip with its ten 40-foot pilings.

I saw a lot 2 years ago in Jax that had power pole, septic for RV and a dock with the same hookups for 170K in a hurricane protected area of Mandarin(Nice area of Jax,FL). It was on Craigslist for months. Fully fenced and properly permitted. Deals are out there. I bet a longterm RV owner would rent that waterfront view for $500/month and you would have built in security for your boat slip.
I wouldn't go through realtors, I would find an area of desire, and send letters to property owners directly...Many parcels of land aren't for sale until someone asks..I don't want to pay full retail like the realtors ask.

Last edited:
6ft MLLW = 1’ or so under keel. Much less in tidal pluff mud here in SC and AC sea water strainers plug up almost daily So u can’t leave AC running. ?

Back
Top Bottom