Offer accepted on Beebe design!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were a few other minor items that I pointed out to the surveyor, like wing nuts on some of the battery cables, and several locations were after build, owners put in wire nuts on wiring specifically on high water bilge switches. Easily fixed. The rudder position is also displayed on the autopilot display, so the info is still available in the pilot house. There are two potentiometers at the rudder post, one for the rudder position indicator on the autopilot, and I assume, one for the rudder position indicator that is not not indicating. Could easily be a bad pot, or a loose connection somewhere along the line. Unfortunately, the closing will happen remotely, and we won't be back to the boat for a few months while we settle our affairs in Kentucky.
Getting closer to posting the boat in my signature block!

Survey SAYS!

Got final survey. 22 pages, about half of which was pictures, about half of the remainder was legalize and definitions, and only about 6 pages that really meant anything . . .

• One SAFETY ITEM, FIX IMMEDIATELY! item: Stern nav light did not work (broken wire at aft rail, which I pointed out to him).
  • No Tier One (fix before use) items
  • About 6 or so Tier Two items (might want to address at some point) which I agreed with, and only one that I had not already previously noted (good catch on his part).
After I received the survey, I called the surveyor to discuss the following items:

• I explained that the draft was NOT 16.5' as stated in survey, but rather 5.5'.
  • Beam was NOT 17' 4" as stated in survey, but rather 16.5'.
  • The hours on the aux engine was 784 hours as displayed on the 14" x 16" Aux engine control panel which he apparently didn't see, or recognize for what it was.
  • That it had TWO 12 gallon water heaters, not ONE (that second 18" x 24" tall thingie that I pointed out during the inspection:D . . . .)
Surveyor corrected and resent survey.
Oh, and the fair market value just happened to be EXACTLY what the boat was advertised for . . . :facepalm:

Overall, it was the type of survey that you'd expect in order to insure the vessel, but I had hoped for more in depth, and more attention to detail in the final report. Cost of Survey was $1,000.00.

I've received only one of the 6 fluid samples back to date. Still waiting on 5 more.
Other than securing moorage (in writing), and a few other small items, we're good to close.

Last note, the aft fiberglass water tank has a crack in the very top where one side meets the top of the tank. Leaks when tank is totally full. Discovered prior to survey, and should not be difficult to repair. We're not overly concerned about it.

Other than that we're good to go!:dance:
Thanks to all for the comments and interest! I'll update thread when I know more.

One question I always had on this boat since I first saw it was comfort while at the helm, I never received satisfactory follow up photos or comments from the broker or owner. Do you sit at the table when not standing? Is there room for a leaning post? Just curious, I guess :blush:

One question I always had on this boat since I first saw it was comfort while at the helm, I never received satisfactory follow up photos or comments from the broker or owner. Do you sit at the table when not standing? Is there room for a leaning post? Just curious, I guess :blush:

There is room for a folding helm chair, or you can sit at the table with the autopilot dongle, or stand on fatigue pad. A permanent helm chair would obstruct access to the pilot house table.

This boat is a departure from what we were looking at in that it doesn't have a fly bridge, which is normally appointed with a dedicated helm chair. A dedicated helm chair in the inside station WHERE ONLY OCCASIONAL/FOUL WX USE IS ANTICIPATED is not as much of an issue to us . . . BUT with only the inside station, we will probably get a folding helm chair.

I am commenting here for the "folding helm chair" comment, and to see where you go with this. Anika J does not have a helm chair, either, and on long passages, we have found we alternate between the high sills port and starboard, so we can see directly, and once one of them gets a bit hard, we stand, check the AIS, and move to the other one!

A folding helm chair would be excellent, so I would like to be referred to designs for one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5969.jpg
    IMG_5969.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 21
It's probably not tall enough for most helms, but my nav station chair is one of the West Marine folding fishing chairs. The stainless framed version is pretty heavy and quite stable. And it's comfortable. Now if I could find a taller version, I'd be really happy (it's a bit tough to see over a laptop at the nav station unless you're tall, as the chair is much lower than the helm chair next to it.

Maybe this?

Attachments

• image-asset.jpg
    image-asset.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image-asset (1).jpg
    image-asset (1).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 18
@rslifkin and @Alaskaflyer: I like the second one better, and was thinking of a bar 'stool' (with back) to overcome the height problem rslifkin refers to. I don't want to hijack this thread, but all suggestions gratefully received!

I've seen larger vessels with narrow space at the helm with these type of leaning posts, many of which are "plug-in" removable with a base socket(s) that must be installed in the deck - a lot more secure than folding ones, but can still be moved out of the way when desired. I'm not sure the one I pictured is removable, but there are many similar ones that are.

Overall, it was the type of survey that you'd expect in order to insure the vessel, but I had hoped for more in depth, and more attention to detail in the final report. Cost of Survey was $1,000.00.

I had the same experience with our boat. I was particularly disappointed with the electrical survey; when I bought it I didn't have much experience with marine electrical systems. Unfortunately, that has changed :) I'm certainly glad we bought the boat and think the price was fair, but man... I just ripped out the entire AC system, have re-wired all the batteries, much of the 12V. In retrospect it was obvious that I'd need to do this & should have been noted on the survey. Oh well...

We have an Ikea folding stool that I use from time to time. But mostly I stand or sit on the bench behind the helm with the autopilot control in hand.

Attachments

• IkeaStool.jpg
    IkeaStool.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 38
Well, last fluid samples (had to be done again, as two of the first six samples were apparently misplaced) came back as just fine, so it looks like we're purchasing the boat!:thumb::eek: Now just need to finalize stuff like $$, insurance, moorage, and paperwork. Still not changing my avatar until it's a done deal though. Don't want to hex anything:lol:

Well, last fluid samples (had to be done again, as two of the first six samples were apparently misplaced) came back as just fine, so it looks like we're purchasing the boat!:thumb::eek: Now just need to finalize stuff like $$, insurance, moorage, and paperwork. Still not changing my avatar until it's a done deal though. Don't want to hex anything:lol:

Congrats!

Congratulations! You'd have to be a bit worried though about the company misplacing the first samples – not a great example of thoroughness, consistency, precision and the other qualities you want in an oil and fuel assay company!

I await the avatar change! Smiling here.

We have an Ikea folding stool that I use from time to time. But mostly I stand or sit on the bench behind the helm with the autopilot control in hand.

My ass hurts just looking at that chair,lol!.....Looks very uncomfortable to use more than a half hour.:nonono:

Hey was passing through La Conner today relocating our boat to Anacortes. I snapped this picture!IMG_8342.jpg

My ass hurts just looking at that chair,lol!.....Looks very uncomfortable to use more than a half hour.:nonono:

Ha ha . . .

The Admiral adds a pillow for loft and comfort. I never sit long - too fidgety. Want to be checking instruments, radar, looking aft, looking w binoculars.

Sale complete!

Well, the transfer is complete, so I finally changed my Avatar. Unfortunately we're still in Kentucky, so it will be time before we can tear into the new boat and state making her ours. Lots of stuff to look into. Lots of items on the to do list as well.

Survey items are all nit noid stuff, as there weren't any Tier One items except rear nav light not connected, and fire extinguishers last inspections were 13 months ago. However one of the items that is up on our list is replacing both Groco manual flush heads with Raritan Marine Elegance heads.

Also installation of 120v power inverter as there isn't one currently on the boat.

Eventually we're planning on putting on 1600 watts of solar and 800ah Lithium battery bank.

The electrical system (transfer switch, etc) is still serviceable, but older, so we will be upgrading stuff.

Other than that we just need to get a house ready for sale, consolidate our "stuff", figure out what to do with three beef cattle, and how we're going to handle the logistics of moving from Kentucky to WA for the short term.

Man this is exciting! I can’t wait to read the story if you are kind enough to share it with us. Stay healthy and stay safe. Great adventures await. Bill

If you are ver feeling overwhelmed, just remember . . . . . you own a Gardner!

Congratulations! I hope the transition is as smooth and pleasant as possible.

Congratulations. A big and exciting change up.
3 beef cattle? Do they have names?

Congratulations. A big and exciting change up.
3 beef cattle? Do they have names?

If not, then might I suggest:

Angus J. Porterhouse III
Ted Nerloin
Burger

slowgoesit wrote:
Eventually we're planning on putting on 1600 watts of solar and 800ah Lithium battery bank.

That is a LOT of solar. Happy to enter a discussion about this; we have had to do the calculations you will. What latitudes will you be cruising in, and will you be running air conditioning off your solar–house system?

slowgoesit wrote:

That is a LOT of solar. Happy to enter a discussion about this; we have had to do the calculations you will. What latitudes will you be cruising in, and will you be running air conditioning off your solar–house system?

Initially, we will be in Puget Sound and British Columbia, Canada, thinking 12 to 18 months, then a leisurely trip down the West Coast, to Panama Canal, into Caribbean, Keys, Southern Florida and Bahamas for 4 to 5 years . . . then? Who knows.

We are not currently at the boat, will not be there for several months while we sort things out here in KY, so we can do general planning, but not in depth on the solar system. We are looking at either beefing up the aft cloth over stainless steel bimini, or more likely, building a new cored fiberglass bimini cover which will be designed to support the solar array. We have room for roughly 16 each 43" x 26" or so solar cells. Works out pretty much to around 1600 watts. Figuring 600ah to 800ah Battleborn 12v, LiFePO batteries, Victron Quattro inverter charger, Victron 2 ea 100/50 Charge controllers, battery monitor, associated shunts, fuses, etc. That's right off the top of my head. Don't expect to get a tremendous amount of power in the PNW from solar, but it should help.

Lighting is mostly LED, and some CFL, which will be changed out for LED shortly. Cooking is propane stove/oven, electric induction plate, microwave, Instapot, or propane grill. Heat is diesel hydraunic throughout, except for pilot house, which is electric resistance heating (for underway use, more on that later)

The boat has a 12kw electric generator that is driven by a hydraulic motor. When the main engine isn't providing hydraulic power to the bow thruster, it can be used to run the generator, effectively providing 12kw of 110v power anytime while underway. At anchor, the plan is to run 110 off of the 5kw Victron Quattro inverter, from batteries, or if necessary, the get home engine can run another hydraulic pump to run the hydraulic motor on the 12kw generator, but running a 40 hp Isuzu engine just to run a 12kw generator isn't the most efficient use of resources . . .:nonono: Thoughts?

Air conditioning will be strictly generator or shore power usage, and probably won't even needed in the PNW, but definitely be nice the further South we travel.

but running a 40 hp Isuzu engine just to run a 12kw generator isn't the most efficient use of resources . . .:nonono: Thoughts?

Especially with any hydraulic system losses it's not all that efficient. But 40hp isn't as oversized as you might think for that job. A typical 12kw genset would have an engine in the 25hp ballpark typically (give or take a few hp).

Back
Top Bottom