Offer accepted on Beebe design!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd recommend contacting a fella named Wally Moran on the Facebook. He runs the Sailing and Cruising: ICW page, and he somehow sells gear at a discount. Dunno how. He might have stolen a truckload of 'em or something.

From what I’ve read, that may very well be the case. That and for other reasons, I wouldn’t accept a life buoy from that guy if my boat were sinking.

"the Isuzu get home,"

I had a boat with the Isuzu 121 engine.Great smooth engine.

They use a precombustion chamber so need a glow plug or squirt of ether to get started.

There are spring starters that can be fitted for a dead electric system, just in case.

Akfly.
Why do you want a passagemaker for cruising.
Shouldn’t be a good fit.

Eric, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a good fit. Kind of depends what we mean by "cruising". I really like the capabilities involved, like if/when we get around to the Caribbean, cruising the Bahamas, etc, it would be nice to not have to be held hostage by the next fuel provider. With 2100 gallons, we can pass a lot of fuel docks, and buy fuel when it's more competitive. I like the paravane stabilization. I prefer "passive" to "active" systems, by that I mean, if not used, paravanes don't add drag to boat, don't stick down for possible damage, do not require periodic hauling of the boat to replace seals, do not require running a hydraulic pump to run, and can be used as "flopper stoppers" while at anchor.
Disadvantages are: You can't turn on and off with a switch, they can't be used in shallower water, and add to "air draft" if cruising inshore w/ lots of bridges.
Large water tanks
Large holding tanks
Lots of chain for anchoring
LOTS of interior space
Adequate outside space
Large swim step for diving
About the only think I wish it had, that the Defever 48's and 48's have that we were looking at is a fly bridge. But all boats are compromises.

Edit: Nomad, sorry about that, I just noticed your comment was directed to AKFLY!

Last edited:
"the Isuzu get home,"

I had a boat with the Isuzu 121 engine.Great smooth engine.

They use a precombustion chamber so need a glow plug or squirt of ether to get started.

There are spring starters that can be fitted for a dead electric system, just in case.

The Isuzu get home/generator hyd pump engine is a 4LE2. Professionally installed in 2005 w/ 605 hours on it. I'm not familiar with the 121 engine, but then again, I'm not too familiar with ANY Isuzu engines except for the gas engine in my old Chevy Luv . . . which used to break heads about every 20k miles or so:D . . . . .

Akfly.
Why do you want a passagemaker for cruising.
Shouldn’t be a good fit.

Who says we won’t be passagemaking?:whistling:

Basically, what he said. I may not be crossing to Hawaii and then French Polynesia, but we do plan on moving down continents and being in exposed water. I want large tanks also.

Many designs have only one or two “staterooms” (i hate that term.) This one had three which is on my list of haves.

Last edited:

Basically, what he said. I may not be crossing to Hawaii and then French Polynesia, but we do plan on moving down continents and being in exposed water. I want large tanks also.

Many designs have only one or two “staterooms” (i hate that term.) This one had three which is on my list of haves.

We had our list of features, with a few examples:

"Must Haves"

• 3 cabins
  • Easy stern access for diving/fishing
  • >700 of diesel
  • maintenance history/records
  • Twin engine, or single w/ bow thruster & get home capability
  • diesel generator
  • Inverter (didn't have, but easy to add)
  • FRP or Steel hull, no wood (been there, done that, twice, great boats, but not interested in upkeep of wood again)
  • above average sea keeping ability
  • clean/well maintained. We have neither the desire, nor funds to bring a boat back from the dead.
  • Hydraulic steering w/ emergency steering capability
"Like to Haves"

• Sea Chest
  • propane stove
  • fill size fridge
  • extra freezer
  • Flying Bridge (didn't get)
  • Stabilizers, paravanes preferred, Naiad okay
  • large fresh water tanks
  • new or newer fuel tanks
  • boat on Gulf coast, or East Coast . . .(well, we didn't get THAT one)
  • AC/heat, installed and functioning
  • Galley up
"Bonus"

• Functioning water maker
  • Solar, LiFePO batteries
  • Fresh water moored
  • Functioning Dive Compressor (didn't get this one, but we already have one!):dance:
"Prefer Nots:

• turbo charged engines
  • teak decks, railings, basically ANY outside bright work
"Don't wants"

• Wet Head
  • Volvo engines
  • gasoline engines
The list above is by no means all inclusive, I made up a spread sheet with about 150 entries, along with "weights" attached to all. Tried to take the emotion out of judging perspective boats. Papazia rated better than all but two of the boats we considered. One was out of our price range, and the other sold (twice) before we were financially ready to pull the trigger. Sold in April of 2019, and new owners sold again in May of 2020 when his job relocated him inland.

All boats are a compromise. This boat checked most of our boxes, and didn't have many detractors.

Last edited:
Slow: the Gardner engine is top shelf. Big in Europe, not so much in the states. since you need it surveyed I would suggest you pay for someone that can also teach you the maintenance and basic repair. It would be good money spent up front and save you big later. If that requires flying someone in , then go for it.

I agree with Arc. Have you considered asking the seller who they use for repairs and maintenance?

Slow, I've got the 105# M1 on my boat. Great anchor and security knowing it is dug in during a blow. One of my earlier boats had the Maxwell 3500 and it could lift a tank! Great ground tackle set up that you will have. Enjoy.

Cheers, Bill

With that much offshore cruising the PM is almost certainly best.
But from what I read more than a few look for a PM to run to SE Alaska.
And many or even most passagemakers are far from comfortable cruisers.

Understand.

Our plans are somewhat in flux but originally it was full timing for 2-3 years with the boys while they are still young enough to not hate us for it ;) Moving from cold waters to warm waters and back. If we change to the Loop or more seasonal cruising, having different features would be considered certainly.

I agree with Arc. Have you considered asking the seller who they use for repairs and maintenance?

I have the contact info for the mechanic who has been maintaining the boat for the last 25 years and definitely plan on picking his brains! Perhaps hire him to show me through the mechanicals, to get a different picture from the owner.

Sellers also developed a operator's manual for the entire boat. They are in the process of going though it to ensure it is up to date. They offered, I didn't ask!:dance:

I have the contact info for the mechanic who has been maintaining the boat for the last 25 years and definitely plan on picking his brains! Perhaps hire him to show me through the mechanicals, to get a different picture from the owner.

Sellers also developed a operator's manual for the entire boat. They are in the process of going though it to ensure it is up to date. They offered, I didn't ask!:dance:
Reach out to him. If you deem him trustworthy hire him as the mechanical surveyor. Yes there may be concern regarding conflict of interest. But a gardener as good as their reputation is is hard to find knowledgeable mechanics in this part of the world.

Reach out to him. If you deem him trustworthy hire him as the mechanical surveyor. Yes there may be concern regarding conflict of interest. But a gardener as good as their reputation is is hard to find knowledgeable mechanics in this part of the world.

Already done. Not sure whether Insurance company will accept him as he is a licensed Mechanic, not a professional Surveyor.
That having been said, I'm also not sure that Insurance will require a mechanical survey in the first place. Many hull surveyors knock the high points off of a mechanical survey as part of their survey.

I've not had a mechanical survey by a non accredited mechanic turned down by insurance. The hull and condition surveyor is another matter.

I was hoping someone here on TF would end up with this spectacular vessel! We deserve it!

Survey scheduled!

Sounds like Insurance won't need a Mechanical Survey, so the Hull Survey should cover it. I spoke at length today with the mechanic who has maintained the boat for 25 years. He takes care of two Gardner equipped boats. We are going to meet with the seller and go over the boat 5-7 Jan. Mechanic will meet with us on the boat on the 7th for about 4 hours, then Survey on the 8th. Wish us luck!

I was hoping someone here on TF would end up with this spectacular vessel! We deserve it!

Larry, no deserving people could be located, so WE'RE buying the boat!:D

Too soon to put it in my signature? . . . yep, we'll wait until after survey!

Best of luck for a smooth survey!

Larry, no deserving people could be located, so WE'RE buying the boat!:D

Too soon to put it in my signature? . . . yep, we'll wait until after survey!

Second what Larry said. As for you, Slow, by declining to tempt fate you show your worthiness to succeed this fine boat's owners. Hope all continues to go as smoothly as these things can!

I see a number of similarities to Beebe Design #112, m/v MOJO! Same hull form, transom, location of flopper stoppers, tankage, etc., etc. We have cruised MOJO for 20 years. Like her, you'll draw admiring looks, favorable comments and be a very photographed boat everywhere you go. Just be prepared to have dinghys coming at every anchorage to tell you how much they like your boat!

Lovely, lovely boat. Gardners are quite popular here (though the 6LXs are the more common), and from what I have see and heard, their reputations are deserved. 3,000 hours? Joking aside, barely run in. You can still buy the original workshop manuals and owner's manuals from the company in England that sells all the spares. (I have both for the 6LX; still dreaming about a future boat with one in it!) Congratulations; that is a boat I'd be very happy to own.

How about this one for a teaser?

CONGRATS!
Seriously happy for you.
I contacted the listing broker three times over past 6 months and he never replied. Even went so far as to check on plane tickets from Mexico to go see her with my wife.

IF you do cruise her down this way to Sea of Cortez, San Carlos (my home) please do look us up. MexicoEcoResort@gmail.com

Also, if you decide to sell her for ANY reason,get ahold of me first. Please.
I am angry with the Listing Broker, but more angry at myself for not being more assertive. All is Good. You sound like the perfect new owner of this extraordinary vessel.

I am serious and would make myself available to be a good contact for you if you make it down here, even loan you a car or a truck to use if you need it.

Merry Christmas!

Best of Luck to you and yours in the coming New Year(s).

DJ

Congratulations--on a real jewel! Your survey will go fine. You will own this vessel in a few weeks. You will also love cruising the PNW before you make the trip down the coast to Panama and up to the East Coast or Caribbean. We have made 5 trips up and down the Inland passage to SE AK, and feel this is some of the World's best cruising.

We have made the trip from the West Coast to Florida twice. Both times we cruised the Western Caribbean. We went from Colon to the San Blas, then to San Andres/Providencia and up to Honduras. Then the Yucatan to Key West, and Yucatan to Pensacola. The first time our boat drew 7' and we did not go up the Rio Dulce. The second trip we drew about 6' and bumped a few times going over the bar, but no problem getting into Livingston. I consider it a trip that should be taken if the draft allows. Your other option is to go South and work along the Coast of S. America. I would look very closely at the political situation when you want to make that jump.

About the 75# CQR: We cruised for over 40,000 miles in a vessel with 65,000# displacement and as much or more windage as Papazia II using a 75 # genuine CQR, plus a 60# Danforth High Tensile (and eventually an 80# fisherman with very sharp flukes for grass), with 160' 3/8 HT chain and 300' of 7/8 3 strand nylon on the CQR. We rarely drug the CQR, never found any condition that one or the other of our anchors would not hold in. We did have a 150# storm anchor, just in case. I would suggest going with the Mantus or Ronca etc in one size up from the CQR, but keep the CQR.

An aside, We pulled the original "Passagemaker' out of the surf line at Santa Cruz Island (Calif. Channel Islands) in 1982. Apparently, the then owner had not set the anchor properly and gone for a hike. A combination of wind and surge started her dragging. Probably just as we arrived. We set our 75# CQR with full reverse, and got two lines aboard Passagemaker's forward bits. Our boat was a motor sailor, so we had large cockpit winches. A combination of the anchor, power and the winches we pulled Passagemaker out to safety. Fortunately there was no damage to the running gear. We had sounded our air horn 5 blasts a number of times. Eventually the owner showed up--yes he had heard the 5 blasts, but didn't know what it meant. It appears that the 75# CQR has served Papazia II well so far, but there are better anchors today.

Have a great time cruising this fantastic boat.

Last edited:
I see a number of similarities to Beebe Design #112, m/v MOJO! Same hull form, transom, location of flopper stoppers, tankage, etc., etc. We have cruised MOJO for 20 years. Like her, you'll draw admiring looks, favorable comments and be a very photographed boat everywhere you go. Just be prepared to have dinghys coming at every anchorage to tell you how much they like your boat!

I thought that Mojo had sold? I spoke to you earlier in the year. Really liked the lines, but the interior layout didn't work for us. Mojo is a beautiful boat! The boat we are purchasing (if survey goes well) was originally Beebe design 96, but was changed, adding more fuel, and numerous other changes. It morphed and became design 118. One more boat was made to the same design, in the same shipyard, originally launched as "Rowan". Whereabouts unknown.

Lovely, lovely boat. Gardners are quite popular here (though the 6LXs are the more common), and from what I have see and heard, their reputations are deserved. 3,000 hours? Joking aside, barely run in. You can still buy the original workshop manuals and owner's manuals from the company in England that sells all the spares. (I have both for the 6LX; still dreaming about a future boat with one in it!) Congratulations; that is a boat I'd be very happy to own.

The seller has all the original owners manuals which cover normal operations, maintenance, up to including rebuilding the entire engine. Also has all original parts manuals for Engine, gear, and Hundested variable pitch propeller, and VP actuator as well.
Also has all original blueprints and drawings, plus books and books on the boat. All included in purchase.

CONGRATS!
Seriously happy for you.
I contacted the listing broker three times over past 6 months and he never replied. Even went so far as to check on plane tickets from Mexico to go see her with my wife.
IF you do cruise her down this way to Sea of Cortez, San Carlos (my home) please do look us up. MexicoEcoResort@gmail.com

Also, if you decide to sell her for ANY reason,get ahold of me first. Please.
I am angry with the Listing Broker, but more angry at myself for not being more assertive. All is Good. You sound like the perfect new owner of this extraordinary vessel.
I am serious and would make myself available to be a good contact for you if you make it down here, even loan you a car or a truck to use if you need it.
Merry Christmas!
Best of Luck to you and yours in the coming New Year(s).DJ

Thanks so much for your offer! If/when we head that way, we'll definitely take you up on it. One comment on the broker. I had contacted him twice as well, over two months, but through Yachtworld. No reply. I got the name of the Yacht Sales he worked for, e-mailed him directly, and he called me with 2 hours. He's always been totally responsive to my calls/e-mails. I completely fault Yachtworld, and firmly believe that YW never passed on the contacts to the broker.
This isn't the first time I've been stumped by YW. Over about 4 months, I put in the contact info requesting info on another boat we were interested in, represented by a well known yacht broker, no contact, so I posted my experiences, and it just so happens that the owner of the company e-mailed and called me direct, stating that he hoped that it wasn't his company who had dropped the ball. He checked, and stated that they had received NO contacts from me on ANY boat. I believed him.
Once again, thanks so much for your kind offer, and your contact info will go down in "the book"!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom