Newbie question: What is this part of the boat called?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to call it an 'aft deck', but then what do I call the deck above the aft cabin?
IMG_0571.JPG

For me it's a holdover from when I was in the Coast Guard, we call the aft area the fantail.

BOAT DECK, if that is where you carry your small boat,

Aft Cabin Top will cover it as well.

Too many variables in designs to have specific right/wrong name.

BOAT DECK, if that is where you carry your small boat,

Aft Cabin Top will cover it as well.

Too many variables in designs to have specific right/wrong name.

Aft Patio!! :thumb:

It's your boat, call it what you wish

For me it's a holdover from when I was in the Coast Guard, we call the aft area the fantail.

Sure, a slick aka smooth deck the aft end can be called the fantail, just like in the Navy.
The cockpit is a significantly depressed area toward the aft end of the boat.

Sure, a slick aka smooth deck the aft end can be called the fantail, just like in the Navy.
The cockpit is a significantly depressed area toward the aft end of the boat.

Thus the word's ending "....pit!

There is no cockpit on our Tolly. There is a crowned stern deck [a shelf, if you will] above the swim platform.

Last edited:
Might end up being the poop deck!

Poop deck.

Since we're planning on having our dogs on board.. this might indeed bend up being the poop deck!

Since our aft deck faces the marina's boat launching ramp and we often eat dinner there watching the action, I suppose we could call it the Observation-Deck-for-Launch-Drama-and-Marital-Discord.

How bout the "Hang Out"? or "Dance Floor"?? Long as it has full safety rail surround such as ours!

Could always call it "Outdoor Seating Parlor"!

I like to call Sylphide's aft deck 'The back porch,' because I'm a real salty sailor type, and I like to get that kind of thing correct.

Back
Top Bottom