New build of Kadey-Krogen 60 open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrk

Veteran Member
Previously, we had described our process for selecting this boat. We are a newbie - been sailors for 12 plus years. Owned Freedom 40. Sailed mostly between Cheasapeake and Camden Maine. After sale of that boat, we realized as we getting on years, it is time to look at owning a motorboat A bit of adventure as my spouse is also planning to retire in a year and we plan to move to live aborad lifestyle. House has already been sold!

Anyway, after signing the contract with KK for 60-open, we both were awaiting signs for some real activity on their part. Finally, it happened. I share the picture of tooling that has started. This is hull #1 so process of building is going to be long. Meanwhile, we are trying to get engaged. Does anyone have recommendation of a book or article that is informative about how new boats are constructed? Trawlers or recreational boats. I am an engineer (electrical) but have not practiced engineering for sometime. But, I would like to get more engaged on boat building process.

Here are pictures of tooling that was sent to us recently.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b3WVSScB_xecswAoLWahfAvw
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f3tTvJn57PDs03tnJF4KlpsA

Hemant

Attachments

• 4838833B-4295-4134-BB9C-30B99686C07C.jpg
    4838833B-4295-4134-BB9C-30B99686C07C.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 71
Congratulations of having hull#1 of the KK-60. KK are great boats. I've signed for hull #1 of the Helmsman 46 trawler. Currently the hull mold is being completed. It will be fascinating to follow the progress of both. The estimate for completion of the 46 is May 2023. A lot of information on boat construction is available on the web. Here's a link for an overview of hull construction in fiberglass.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/how-its-made-fiberglass-hulls/

Two good reads of people who have had similar boats built, both of whom are 'serial new-boat owners' and have a lot of wisdom to impart. And they are both good writers.

https://www.kensblog.com/ - Owned a Nordhavn 62, then had a larger Nordhavn 60-something built in 2006 (detailed construction process HERE. ). A couple years ago he shifted gears to a coastal cruiser and had Grand Banks build GB60 which I believe was the first boat in the series.

https://www.mvtanglewood.com/ - our own TwistedTree ("Tanglewood" >>>> "TwistedTree" - get the joke?). He had a Nordhavn 68 built that was launched a year or so ago. Decent blog posts along the way. I forget his resume exactly, but he started cruising life with a GB 46(?), progressed to a larger Nordhavn, then had the N68 built.

Hope this helps

Peter

It’s nice to see they are building a plug for your new boat. Doing so is a big investment as they will be building the mold off this plug but it’s says volumes about the true legitimacy of this venture. Too many times a builder in Kaohsiung will just extend or kick out a mold calling it a new model. So I’m guessing this is not just a larger knock-off but a completely different design. Are you working on a fixed price ? I ask because some builders will actually roll a percentage of the tooling costs in a first-off production run. On a true custom one-off then tooling is on the buyer’s account unless it’s foreseen as a possible production boat and of course with you and the architects permission.

On a project of this type I would suggest making several trips to the yard to observe, check out the build and let them know you’re watching. Otherwise find a new build consultant living there and pay him to make several incremental inspections to insure they are dotting all the ‘ I’s ‘ and crossing all the ‘ Tee’s ‘. Understand that the first hull almost always needs a few tweaks but given K&K’s reputation I don’t foresee any major problems. I made dozens of trips to Kaohsiung on owners behalf and always stayed at the Garden Hotel but it’s been 12 years or so. Often the builder will put you up and have dinner with you. t’s kind of a business custom over there.

BTW on hull #1 it’s a good time to ask for a couple of custom features that may be more difficult after they start production

Rick

Last edited:
It’s nice to see they are building a plug for your new boat. Doing so is a big investment as they will be building the mold off this plug but it’s says volumes about the true legitimacy of this venture. Too many times a builder in Kaohsiung will just extend or kick out a mold calling it a new model. So I’m guessing this is not just a larger knock-off but a completely different design. Are you working on a fixed price ? I ask because some builders will actually roll a percentage of the tooling costs in a first-off production run. On a true custom one-off then tooling is on the buyer’s account unless it’s foreseen as a possible production boat and of course with you and the architects permission.

On a project of this type I would suggest making several trips to the yard to observe, check out the build and let them know you’re watching. Otherwise find a new build consultant living there and pay him to make several incremental inspections to insure they are dotting all the ‘ I’s ‘ and crossing all the ‘ Tee’s ‘. Understand that the first hull almost always needs a few tweaks but given K&K’s reputation I don’t foresee any major problems. I made dozens of trips to Kaohsiung on owners behalf and always stayed at the Garden Hotel but it’s been 12 years or so. Often the builder will put you up and have dinner with you. It’s kind of a business custom over there.

BTW when you’re over there on the first hull it’s often possible to get a couple of custom features that would be harder once in production. They might even ask you about showing the boat at events or doing a photo shoot all of which is worth a price consideration.

Good luck
Rick

We expect to our boat delivery to be in Jan 2024. So, still quite a bit far away.
I will indeed be posting of our progress in new boat build.

Thanks for the link. Good informative article.

Peter:
Thanks for pointing out those blogs. Started reading them. Very informative.
Hemant

Rick:
I am working on the fixed price. So, I am sure KK has a commitment to build and extend this line. They had 50 open design but this is 60 open and we have asked and a number of customization for hull #1.
Now that Taiwan has opened open, I do plan to visit them several times in next 12 months. also, have an experienced person (Steve D’antonio) as consultant who would visit yard as well.
Hemant

At long last Taiwan is now allowing incoming flight's without 7-10 days in quarantine.

Being stuck in a hotel for 10 days was painful.

Now that Taiwan has opened I do plan to visit them several times in next 12 months. also, have an experienced person (Steve D’antonio) as consultant who would visit yard as well.

You are doing it right?

Rick:
I am working on the fixed price. So, I am sure KK has a commitment to build and extend this line. They had 50 open design but this is 60 open and we have asked and a number of customization for hull #1.
Now that Taiwan has opened open, I do plan to visit them several times in next 12 months. also, have an experienced person (Steve D’antonio) as consultant who would visit yard as well.
Hemant

Hi Hemant,

Congratulations on 60001! We own M/V Unwinding which was built in 2017 and is KKY 58EB 58023. You will not find a better 'fitted' 'attention to detail' yacht than a KKY. The workmanship is simply outstanding. After almost five years now, we could not be happier with this vessel.

I had the opportunity to visit the yard in Taiwan during our build process ... actually met Steve D during the visit as he was overseeing hull 58022. I did not expect what I saw ... much simpler than I expected but the craftsmanship was evident at every level. I truly enjoyed interacting with the team there.

While I cannot help you with your original post, let me know if you have any questions in general re KKY, build process, otherwise. We had some issues on commissioning but all resolved by KKY without question. Happy to share our experiences ...

Gary
M/V Unwinding
KKY 58EB

Thanks for responding. I will reach out to you as we make some progress in building.
Good to see that your experience with KKY was very positive.

Hemant

hrk: Congratulations on your Kady. Our Helmsman 46 is #1 of the series. The build has been ongoing since October 2022. The hull is complete and awaiting installation of the engine, etc, etc. The topsides are in the mold. According to Helmsman, the build will be completed in November. Expecting a December 2023 arrival in Seattle, and a month for commissioning at Helmsman's docks in Lake Union. She will be a nice New year present!

Progress - hull out of mould

The hull is out of the mould. Enclose some pictures. Process of selecting navigation equipment (chose furano). Decided to also have meretron system. Afraid we are making our electronics too complicated. Will have to brush up on my EE knowledge. Hull looks so big. Hope we get confortable driving and docking 60’. Interior decisions completely left in the hands of first mate, although kitchen will be kingdom.
Excited finally to see things shaping up.

0e2HggZw-LM4v00ulB1KO9axQ

Hemant, this is exciting news!! The photo KK posted look nice. I think your photo attachment failed. Bill Bagus KK52-01

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 16
On the home page there is a section on How to Use the Forum. In that section is a thread on How to Post Photos.

Back
Top Bottom