Need Guidance on Choosing a Boat Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seadweller

Greetings!

I'm beginning to more aggressively search for a boat that we can use as a "second home" of sorts. Two to three weeks would likely be the longest we'd stay on it, and 70% of the time would be at our home port marina facility with restaurant, showers, laundromat, etc. The other 30% would be cruising the intracoastal from the Tampa Bay area down as far as Key West, and places in between. A genset is not a requirement, as we'd likely be in a marina 95%+ of the time.

In a perfect world, I'd like a single diesel, no more than 36' in length (restricted by the slip), that can cruise efficiently at 14kts or greater. My wife is prone to sea sickness, so a trawler or sailboat is out of the question. As such, a boat like the Mainship 34 Trawler for example, which I had read can cruise at 14kts, won't cut the bill, as running the boat at that speed seems to be a bad idea from a number of perspectives. I need a boat designed to cruise on plane.

We used to overnight on a 30' express, and I'll say it was fun but "cozy." I think the novelty of it allowed us to overlook the smaller space, but we will certainly need more space for longer stays. I'm sure it would start to close in on us after a week.

Budget would likely be $250K, and I'm not interested in a project. I have considered a sportfish/convertible, as I'd really love to have a flybridge, but don't want the complexity, maintenance costs, and fuel consumption of a twin diesel platform if I can avoid it. I'd also like to avoid a V-berth for comfort reasons, and it would be nice to be able to accommodate another couple for a nights stay.

I have to imagine there are a number of folks in the same boat, pun intended. With all the options and manufacturers out there, some I've not heard of despite being an avid boater for 45 years, where should I start my search?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As a MS 34 owner since 2017 I may have some info for you.Great layout with large salon and flybridge.I wanted a second state room but could live with one. The couch is a sleeper. Not a plane. ing vessel unless it runs at WOT. I will try to sent you a private message with my Name/number ifyou want to talk Keith

Thanks Keith!

From my initial research, it seems the 34 is loud and "squirrely" on plane, and at WOT, that would mean significantly reduced engine life. While the layout and space would be perfect, the hull design just won't work for our purposes. If there's a boat designed to run on plane that's similar, that would be ideal.

Probably not fast enough for you but you would be hard pressed to beat a 36 foot Albin aft cabin.

Just saying..

pete

In a perfect world, I'd like a single diesel, no more than 36' in length (restricted by the slip), that can cruise efficiently at 14kts or greater. My wife is prone to sea sickness, so a trawler or sailboat is out of the question. As such, a boat like the Mainship 34 Trawler for example, which I had read can cruise at 14kts, won't cut the bill, as running the boat at that speed seems to be a bad idea from a number of perspectives. I need a boat designed to cruise on plane.

Budget would likely be $250K, and I'm not interested in a project. I have considered a sportfish/convertible, as I'd really love to have a flybridge, but don't want the complexity, maintenance costs, and fuel consumption of a twin diesel platform if I can avoid it. I'd also like to avoid a V-berth for comfort reasons, and it would be nice to be able to accommodate another couple for a nights stay.

Planing hull and single screw in the same sentence might be a bit of a reach. You might get a copy of the Powerboat Guide and have a rummage through there...

You may also want to browse through the bazillions of threads here about single vs. twin costs. In many boats where single or twin configurations were possible, it seems to be a bit of a wash...

(Fuel is not our largest expense... although we have freedom to run at trawler speeds whenever we feel like it... which is mostly.)

Most typical sportfish, convertible, sport bridge, sedan bridge (etc.) boats under about 50' seem to focus on the bow stateroom being the master... and other staterooms vary in degree of user friendliness... ranging from "storage space" to semi-usable. Over about 50' a mid-ship stateroom becomes more possible, sometimes even better as a master.

Aft cabin motor yachts and cockpit motor yachts starting at about 35-40' usually offer a non-bow-master (that whole "aft" thing) that are generally quite nice if you like those.

But I can't think of any single-screw versions of all those, especially with flybridges. Maybe check out some Maine-built boats... probably usually "downeast" style. Sabre, MJM, Back Cove, Hinckley, etc.

Aside: I have a cousin who gets motion sickness when her cat walks by. She's been with us on the boat several times, says the wristband things really do work. For her.

-Chris

With a 250K budget you should find many boats to choose from.
However you have limited your choices to 36 foot and single engine that can go fast and not get the wife seasick, have room for guests for a few days. Good luck, there may still be a boat to fully fill the bill. Unfortunately, I can't think of one.
IMO, you need to look at 40' plus.

Tiara Sovran 35/36

Beneteau Gran Turismo 34

Regal made a number of diesel coupe's in the mid 30 size range.

Any larger Express (e.g. Searay, Cruisers, etc)

I wouldn't expect sea sickness on the intracoastal. There are also many stretches that are no wake. If seasickness really is an issue, then stay away from any flybridges. Consider a power cat.

Thanks all....I'd love to have a power cat, but I'd have to triple my budget for most of them. The only one in my range, which I actually really like, is the PDQ, but they're not easy to come across.

...Aside: I have a cousin who gets motion sickness when her cat walks by. She's been with us on the boat several times, says the wristband things really do work. For her.

-Chris

Same here -- my wife uses those and swears by them. I thought they were a ridiculous gimmick and waste of $4.99 when she first bought them, but apparently they really do work for a lot of people.

As a MS 34 owner since 2017 I may have some info for you.Great layout with large salon and flybridge.I wanted a second state room but could live with one. The couch is a sleeper. Not a plane. ing vessel unless it runs at WOT. I will try to sent you a private message with my Name/number ifyou want to talk Keith

The single engine MS 34T can cruise at 12 kts, but any faster is pushing the engine too much. The twin engin version with Yanmar 240s can go 14-15 kts without stressing the engines too badly.

But the 34T has limited fridge space for a two week cruise down to the keys, but if you always stay in marinas, reprovisioning every 5 days or so, won’t be too difficult.

The 34T handles like most semi displacement cruisers, but if your wife is very prone to seasickness consider hydraulic fin stabilizers. Makes a world of difference. But it may be tough to fit them on a 34T, so I would look for something 36’+.

David

An American Tug 34/365 comes close to the requirements. There are not a lot for sale but an older one might be close to the desired price.

As others have said, 14 knots sustained is going to be difficult for many of these boats. In theory an AT can do 14kts at 90% power for sustained periods but real world loadings are likely to cut that down.

Nordic Tug 37 is another one, quite similar. I find them most comfortable at hull speed (~7 kts) and not a good ride over 10 kts. 14kts would be out of reach on ones I've seen but it would depend on the engine.

Lots of good advice given.

The only thing I would add to the mix is to physically get onboard as many new and used boats as you possibly can. The AGLCA's "Rendezvous" events every spring and fall always feature a "Trawler Crawl" where other loopers welcome "Planners" aboard who are trying to discern what they want to buy for a Looper boat. Boat shows are also a lot of fun to go to. Though all the boats are NEW, and that may not be in your budget, you will see features that you and your Admiral will like and dislike... there is so much to learn! And touring lots of boats and making YOUR LIST of features important to you may take a few months or a year or so. Online pics are great place to start, but you really gotta go aboard to really know what you'll want.

Talk to insurance pros before you go under contract. If the boat you buy is much larger than anything you've owned before, the insurance company may require a training captain for a time.

Both my wife and I took over a year to select our first choice. Once we knew the make/model we wanted, it simply became a matter of "finding the right deal / boat" on the east coast for that make and model.

Most importantly: Enjoy the process!

I also learned that "delivery captains" are easy to find for fast express cruiser type vessels. Delivery captains are harder to find for slow trawlers to go long distances. The delivery captains are not usually interested in taking 15-20 good weather days to get a boat from FL to New England, for example. But a 40 foot express cruiser that they can cover that same distance in a few days is more their style! So, think through your geography factors. I know a delivery captain who made it from Ft Lauderdale to the south shore of Long Island in two days via Virginia Beach! Amazing.

Last edited:
A Swift Trawler 35 might check all of your boxes.

I don't track their prices, but you might not find one at your price point.

Lots of good advice given.

The only thing I would add to the mix is to physically get onboard as many new and used boats as you possibly can. The AGLCA's "Rendezvous" events every spring and fall always feature a "Trawler Crawl" where other loopers welcome "Planners" aboard who are trying to discern what they want to buy for a Looper boat. Boat shows are also a lot of fun to go to. Though all the boats are NEW, and that may not be in your budget, you will see features that you and your Admiral will like and dislike... there is so much to learn! And touring lots of boats and making YOUR LIST of features important to you may take a few months or a year or so. Online pics are great place to start, but you really gotta go aboard to really know what you'll want.

Talk to insurance pros before you go under contract. If the boat you buy is much larger than anything you've owned before, the insurance company may require a training captain for a time.

Both my wife and I took over a year to select our first choice. Once we knew the make/model we wanted, it simply became a matter of "finding the right deal / boat" on the east coast for that make and model.

Most importantly: Enjoy the process!

I also learned that "delivery captains" are easy to find for fast express cruiser type vessels. Delivery captains are harder to find for slow trawlers to go long distances. The delivery captains are not usually interested in taking 15-20 good weather days to get a boat from FL to New England, for example. But a 40 foot express cruiser that they can cover that same distance in a few days is more their style! So, think through your geography factors. I know a delivery captain who made it from Ft Lauderdale to the south shore of Long Island in two days via Virginia Beach! Amazing.

As a former delivery captain...if I am getting paid by the day, a longer trip may mean more continuous business though longer away from home... to me it's a push. I think the average owner expects a longer trip with weather days in a slow boat, owners of faster boats seemed less tolerant of hold ups.

It does somewhat depend on the flexibility of departure and arrival dates. Obviously, a long trip over several holidays may never be popular.

Speed in some people's lives includes all facets of their lives.

Last edited:
My only comment would be to prioritize your list to Musts &;Wants as my opinion is you will be hard pressed to find a solution that has more space than a MS 34 T, cruises "efficiently" at 14 + kts.
The difference may be in definitions but only you can define your expectations.

Before buying my first trawler I had a 30' planning boat, a 9m Apreamare.

While planning, it was very stable. But if the chop increased beyond 3 or 4 feet I would need to slow down and the rock-and-roll would begin. So, not a big advantage over a trawler that is also pretty stable when the seas are relatively calm.

With a $250k budget for a 40'+ you might be able to get a stabilised trawler.

We just sold Morning Light, asking price $175K. Webbers Cove 42' Hull, 2013 build, new electronics and a Quick gyro stabilizer. 8kW Northern Lights generator. Lugger 1066H main. Full A/C. Cruise at 8. max around 11.

Jim

I am just a blow boater thinking of switching and from my looking the above is 100% true. In fact you can find a 45+ foot boat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom