Learning a new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
After the euphoria of purchasing what I hope will be the last boat I ever buy, reality meant a major electronics refit was required. There is nothing wrong with the existing equipment, but it is showing its age. My future voyages demand something better, so the radar and autopilot need replacing and AIS needs to be added, as does music ability and a camera system for docking. Sounds easy enough, but existing wires and cables are all well-hidden and running new wires, so they too are hidden is helping me learn my boat.

Today I spent two hours trying to snake a wire under the pilothouse floor then two more to drop the ceiling to get at speaker wires. By the time I was done I had even taken down the ceiling of a corner of the engine room to get at wires and cables.

So, the new radar arrived too (Furuno open array) and the cable is a monster with huge plugs on the end. Thankfully I have help for this install but the rest is all mine. Considering that I walk with a cane and need surgery for my back, it is quite a challenge.

Boy do I understand your pain. We are doing a major upgrade on our new boat and all new electronics are in the works now. Today was working on installing the new autopilot. It isn’t too bad since I only work a few hours a day before my back gives out. Going Thursday for a test shot in the back so I can get the procedure I need.

You da man! as they say. Ceiling in the engine room caught my attention. Is it really needed? Might hinder troubleshooting in some out-of-the-way place some day.

The engine room has sound proofing throughout and also has an area with a work bench and full head room. This is where I removed the ceiling liner to expose the 'spaghetti factory'. Since this is under the pilothouse it really needs insulation.

Back
Top Bottom