Lanyard to Outboard kill-switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I wasn’t sure which of the maintenance forums to post for this topic so I’m posting on the main forum.

I’m interested in any “hacks” people have found to solve the infernal kill-switch lanyard. I’m always stretching it out and false tripping it. And with constant “senior’s moments” I find myself cranking away before determining the kill-switch was switched off.

I’m not really interested in a blue-tooth version.

Jim

I wasn’t sure which of the maintenance forums to post for this topic so I’m posting on the main forum.

I’m interested in any “hacks” people have found to solve the infernal kill-switch lanyard. I’m always stretching it out and false tripping it. And with constant “senior’s moments” I find myself cranking away before determining the kill-switch was switched off.

I’m not really interested in a blue-tooth version.

Jim

Not clear whether you still want a working MOB kill switch or just to defeat it.

To be legal your only alternative is the FOB which kills the engine if it gets wet.

I added one of those small caribiner clips you see at the big box store checkout line. It’s much easier to use than the tiny clip on the lanyard.

As Backinblue stated, what are you trying to accomplish?

Drive a boat older than 2020 without mob switch will Definitly solve that situation. Other than that can’t think of anything. Maybe attach the lanyard to your vest.

It's still unclear what issue the OP is wanting to solve.

Although an enthusiastic proponent of all of them, I have never been saved by a PFD, fire extinguisher, tether line, PLB/EPIRB, flare gun, throw bag, CO detector, or by ballistic armor, helmet, safety eyewear or to my knowledge a high visibility garment (reflective vest), and only once in a life (so far) by a seat belt and vehicle airbags...but I have been "saved" twice by an ECOS lanyard - once while working, once while pleasure boating. Neither time did I depart the boat itself, but I certainly departed the helm station unexpectedly and by an impressive distance :whistling: :nonono:

The new Bluetooth devices are cool but hitting the water is not the only circumstance in which I would want an ECOS in a smaller vessel. I was alone both times above.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to disable it at all. I understand the safety issue. I just want to see if someone had any bright ideas for improvement over the curly cord. I remember paddling against the tide from Klemtu to the anchorage after unsuccessfully cranking the outboard. The ahah moment was discovering the kill-switch had been pulled and the cord was hanging down. Easy fix but did I feel stupid.

Jim

When I was working I was in the habit of clipping my end on my PFD at my chest near the top, either on a ring or in the zipper pull, low enough that it would pass under my arm on the wheel but high enough so it was in my peripheral vision, instead of clipped at the waistline out of sight, so I might notice it more before turning or stepping away and tripping the ECOS. Don't know why this wouldn't work on a tiller-driven outboard either.

Otherwise it was on my mental checklist to always check the ECOS before starting - just like ensuring the transmission gear was in neutral, throttle to idle etc etc.

I’m not trying to disable it at all. I understand the safety issue. I just want to see if someone had any bright ideas for improvement over the curly cord. I remember paddling against the tide from Klemtu to the anchorage after unsuccessfully cranking the outboard. The ahah moment was discovering the kill-switch had been pulled and the cord was hanging down. Easy fix but did I feel stupid.

Jim

Can't you just cut off the annoying stretchy cable and attach your own cable and hook of a choice that works well for you? I hate those coiling stretchy cables.

Just last night I was called out at 10pm for a tow. Weather was bumpy. After getting him to port , he found to clip on the floor. He never ever used is so gave it no thought.

Flyfishing sellers have cable re-tractors that stretch so you can attach tools but use them then it retracts to retain the tool close'

They are generally salt water resistant but not guaranteed

I used to keep mine wrapped around the tiller handle. Only time it was used as a safety was when the grandchildren used the dinghy.
And yes I am also the guy who velcroed the blade safety lever shut on my lawnmower.

And yes I am also the guy who velcroed the blade safety lever shut on my lawnmower.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who did that.

Rob

And yes I am also the guy who velcroed the blade safety lever shut on my lawnmower.

Rob[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! I need to do that!

Rob

Thanks for the tip! I need to do that![/QUOTE]

I do that too. And I leave the lanyard clipped to the tiller and only use it as a "key" to disable the motor when it's parked.

Only required when boat is on plane? Guess I won't be needing to use mine.

IMO
There are 2 reasons for the shut off device.
1. you get tossed out of the boat, the boat will be near by
2. reduce the possibilities of the operator getting chopped up.

A good friend just relived his maiden voyage on his last new Carolina Skiff.

He owns a boat ramp and has as much boating experience (at least on smaller boats) that I am sure rivals most boaters.

He and his friend were tossed from the boat, luckily unhurt. The main reason was the boats steering was rigged poorly. The rest of the day was just a huge embarrassment that fortunately he can laugh about now but I know it still haunts him....BECAUSE he knows how simple it would have been to use the lanyard as well as other things he has thought of since.

Like many things in life, using the lanyard on smaller vessels is such a simple thing that helps with totally unexpected circumstances.

Sure I can see plenty of reasons not to use one on many situations, but I also have a lot of time on small boats and unusual situations.

IMO
There are 2 reasons for the shut off device.
1. you get tossed out of the boat, the boat will be near by
2. reduce the possibilities of the operator getting chopped up.

Operator becomes injured or otherwise incapacitated such as after catching a chine or unexpected wake or striking an object or for this crowd a cardiac dysrhythmia and it prevents boat motoring off to Valhalla with him aboard.

Last edited:
Boating off to Valhalla somehow sounds inviting! lol

An old neighbour used to do that until he cut the end of his finger off trying to clear some grass from the chute.

Ii don't stick my hand into moving machinery. That would be the time I would take the velcro off and kill the engine.
I have a friend who is an 8.5 because he stuck his hand into a snow blower to clear the chute. I used a stick that was looped on the handle cause I don't stick my hand into moving machinery.

Back
Top Bottom