Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My AT has Port and Starboard walk-around about 8 inches wide and no railing.LOL
I would be more than satisfied if the port walk-around was zero, double the width of the starboard walk-around, with railing.
Hey, I cant have have everything on a little bitty 34ft boat even if you call it a 36ft boat.

LOL, you're absolutely right, every boat is a compromise (unless you have Jeff Bezos money and can afford to build something totally custom where cost literally is no object).

I've owned two AT's, a 34 and a 39. I absolutely LOVED them both! They're such well-designed, well-built, seaworthy boats! We had so many wonderful trips in our 34. Even my wife, who doesn't know (or care) much about boats, would always tell me how safe and secure she felt on the 34.

One time we were crossing Delaware Bay in our 34. It was a bit of snotty day, not too bad but 20-25 knot winds and 4+ ft whitecaps. We were humming along at 13-14 knots, totally comfortable, not a concern in the world, my wife happily reading and drinking tea. She laughed and pointed astern. A 45-ish foot sneaker boat of some kind was following in our wake, trying to get a smoother ride because their shallow-V flat-bottom hull was pounding so much in the chop.

I miss them both very much, especially the 39. I think that's the best hull AT ever made. It's the perfect balance of speed, efficiency, and seakeeping abilities.

I looked hard for an AT41, and still kick myself for letting one I saw a couple of years ago slip away (it was early in my search, and I hadn't fully appreciated the 'pandemic market' effects).

The only thing I wish was different about ours was side deck access. I effectively single hand, since the Admiral is nervous about docking maneuvers. Which usually means frantically running back and forth between the helm, forward deck, and cockpit, to handle lines and fend off impending impacts with other boats, invariably with wind and current pushing us towards expensive and/or hard, unforgiving objects. Fore deck access was easy. But I just couldn't get the hang of running through the cabin to get to the cockpit (even though that's what normal people do).

So on our 34, I would pirouette on the side decks, precariously hanging on to the cabin railings, hanging fenders in preparation for docking while the boat pitched and heaved in the waves (some big sportfisherman would always come by and throw a tsunami-sized wake, seemingly just to see if he could catapult me off the boat). My wife was terrified that I'd get thrown off one day and she'd have to recover me (a tenuous proposition given her limited boat handling skills). I never fell off, but came close a couple of times.

On our 39 I thought I'd licked the issue by ordering the boat with side railings. That didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Putting a side railing on a 5" wide deck made negotiating them harder. My size 12 feet would barely fit. The only way I could 'walk' on the side decks was with my feet in line with each other, shuffling along. It wasn't conducive to quickly sprinting down the side deck in a frenzy to fend off, handle a line, or place a fender.

One time, in a windy tense docking situation, I caught my foot in a rail mount and twisted my knee, dislocating it and destroying the meniscus in the process. Arthroscopic surgery subsequently removed half the meniscus. That experience made easy all-around access and full walk-around decks a must-have for me (I can't spare any more meniscus).

Nick, I put canvas around the upper deck so that destroyed using the lower railing, as a hand hold. I made up 3 lines attached 3 lines to the lower railing to hang on to.
I have no qualms running through the cabin.

Funny, but coming from sail to power, one of the deciding factors for me was a side deck that allowed quick travel to the bow. Maybe because when sailing I was used to doing that frequently on every trip. I was surprised to find many power boats in the size I was shopping had such a narrow side deck. In some cases, you would need to straddle the railing to use it. That was a non-starter for me. On my current boat, at least I can walk normally going forward with a hand on the railing or the hardtop.

Last edited:
That's because you're normal and I'm not (I kept tripping over things trying to do that, carpets, furniture, my wife...).

I am far from normal. I am no longer steady on my feet. :rofl:

Funny, but coming from sail to power, one of the deciding factors for me was a side deck that allowed quick travel to the bow. Maybe because when sailing I was used to doing that frequently on every trip. I was surprised to find many power boats in the size I was shopping had such a narrow side deck. In some cases, you would need to straddle the railing to use it. That was a non-starter for me. On my current boat, at least I can walk normally going forward with a hand on the railing or the hardtop.

360 degree walkable decks [with sturdy safety railings] are one of my "must haves" on a boat. And, one of the several reasons we own a Tolly!

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 32
  • TO Pict @ Lowries Slip 3_100_1411.jpg
    TO Pict @ Lowries Slip 3_100_1411.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 30
Glad to see you are feeling better Art and back to praising your Tolly. I don't disagree, but RT was a little concerned about you lately. lol

Glad to see you are feeling better Art and back to praising your Tolly. I don't disagree, but RT was a little concerned about you lately. lol

When RT gets concerned I get concerned about his concern! LOL

“Down-east” comes from fishing trawlers fuel costs single diesel low HP,..

Today, 200 gallons costs $1200+ ,not good news for twin owners. Our 34’ Albin is probably over powered with a Cummins 350hp.for slow cruising Chesapeake and ICW.
Captainpontoon

Interesting, but looks a little dated and a little pricey to me. Love the old CRT TV in the wall!

“Down-east” comes from fishing trawlers fuel costs single diesel low HP,..

Today, 200 gallons costs $1200+ ,not good news for twin owners. Our 34’ Albin is probably over powered with a Cummins 350hp.for slow cruising Chesapeake and ICW.
Captainpontoon

I've never considered that downeast includes a single engine and keel but some do agree with that. So I guess a Back Cove could be a downeast boat, but not a Sabre, even though...

"Sabre Yachts has crafted luxury Maine-built yachts since 1970. Faithful to that heritage, Sabre is dedicated to manufacturing the highest quality dual-engine pod-driven yachts on the market, in signature Downeast style."

I've never considered that downeast includes a single engine and keel but some do agree with that. So I guess a Back Cove could be a downeast boat, but not a Sabre, even though...

"Sabre Yachts has crafted luxury Maine-built yachts since 1970. Faithful to that heritage, Sabre is dedicated to manufacturing the highest quality dual-engine pod-driven yachts on the market, in signature Downeast style."

FWIW, Back Cove's don't have a keel either. Just a single engine with the prop and shaft hanging down.

FWIW again, I personally don't consider 'pod' drives to be in the spirit of the 'Downeast' ethic of simplicity and reliability. But then, the 'Downeast' moniker has been stretched to cover a lot of boat styles.

I think that will be a hard sell... The Downeast crowd doesn't want a twin screw version for the most part. Down east means full keel, single engine .

“Down-east” comes from fishing trawlers fuel costs single diesel low HP,.. Today, 200 gallons costs $1200+ ,not good news for twin owners. Our 34’ Albin is probably over powered with a Cummins 350hp.for slow cruising Chesapeake and ICW. Captainpontoon

Yes, but with that power the boat can cruise at 16 knots (according to the broker). It's the oft-discussed trade-off: cruise twice as fast as full displacement but with four times the fuel consumption. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Slowing down is always an option when cruising at single-digit speeds is wanted or possible, but with those old-style mechanical fuel injection engines, I don't know how much they would enjoy continuous operation at low rpm.

Interesting, but looks a little dated and a little pricey to me. Love the old CRT TV in the wall!

I agree with you. I like eccentric, eclectic, interesting boats, and this is one. A good builder and an unconventional design. No photos of the underbody, but I imagine it's probably the same full-keel design of other builds on that hull, but with twin engines for higher speeds. I'm also a sucker for small, true 'pilothouse' designs, especially with a 'Portuguese bridge'. Rare to find all that in 40 ft.

The seller and broker might be banking on all of that with the asking price, trying to ride the coattails of the (until recently?) searing white hot sellers market before it cools off any more.

But a 32 year old boat means 32 year old systems. Seems to have had some updates, some electronics and fuel tanks. No mention of A/C in the listing, and a lot of other things that would probably need updating (like, making all the upholstery match). Adding in the money it would likely take to bring it up to snuff at the asking price would probably result in a total outlay that could buy something newer.

FWIW, Back Cove's don't have a keel either. Just a single engine with the prop and shaft hanging down.

You are correct, I hadn't thought of that. My boat doesn't have a keel but at least a skeg, which saved me once. Not sure if that counts, but better than nothing.

Attachments

• skeg.jpg
    skeg.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23
To me, "Down East" means a lobster boat, not a trawler. Single screw, full keel, semi-displacement hull. They can plane somewhat if you put enough power in them. And some guys do. Have you ever been to the Maine lobster boat races? It's a lot of fun. Be prepared for some BIG wakes.

You are correct, I hadn't thought of that. My boat doesn't have a keel but at least a skeg, which saved me once. Not sure if that counts, but better than nothing.

Any protection for the prop and rudder is better than none!

On a 'downeast' (or other) boat the full keel is as much for performance characteristics, seakeeping abilities, reduced rolling, resistance to crosswinds, as for protection of the running gear (with the trade-off of more resistance resulting in slower speeds than a full planing hull).

What makes this Webbers Cove interesting to me is the combination of a full-keel yet semi-displacement design, with twin engines capable of speeds in the mid-teens, plus that uncommon true pilothouse style in a smaller size.

Strange how people with full keel and skeg become relatively complacent re grounding and/or flotsam. At least I know I have.

I'd like to learn the %age of annual pleasure craft prop damage stats for comparisons to single engine protected prop and twin engine exposed props.

Myself: Having owned and run both engine/prop type boats over the decades... I know that with twin engine [exposed prop] boats my entire time at helm is heavily filled with carefully watching [listening for alarm] on the depth sounder as well as diligently peering out and around for flotsam. With single screw having large keel and full skeg... I'm defiantly less acute in my overall cautionary piloting procedures regarding prop protection.

Last edited:
To me, "Down East" means a lobster boat, not a trawler. Single screw, full keel, semi-displacement hull. They can plane somewhat if you put enough power in them. And some guys do. Have you ever been to the Maine lobster boat races? It's a lot of fun. Be prepared for some BIG wakes.

Those races are a blast to watch! Seeing boats like the 'Red Baron' screaming along at, what, >50 knots? So much fun!

Truth be told, it might be a stretch to still consider them 'lobster' boats. Stripped down, with monster engines. Do they even keep the keel on those hulls?

I'm definitely willing to cut things closer with better protected running gear. I'm still careful, but the required safety margin is lower.

As far as Downeast style, most are single engine, but there have been twin engine lobster boats occasionally, so twins don't necessarily exclude a Downeast if the hull is otherwise the same. They're typically SD though and only sorta-kinda plane with lots of power.

A keel doesn't inherently mean something isn't a planing hull though. Plenty of planing hulls (think old Hatteras sport fish) have keels. They just tend to only be seen on relatively slow planing hulls, as the drag becomes more of an issue at higher speeds and at higher speeds the keel also becomes a handling liability. But IMO, if the boat climbs through a plowing stage and then drops onto plane with a clean wake that's significantly reduced, I consider it a planing hull regardless of what it looks like. If it just goes faster with more power, never really breaks over onto plane, etc. then it's SD.

Late 60's early 70's I spent considerable time on and about Lobster Boats... in the Camden, Rockport, Rockland - Penobscot Bay region. I've got stories... not to be printed! Early 70's I built and owned a tavern/restaurant in Camden "The Hunter" that catered to lobstermen, fishermen, loggers and construction workers. "Those were the days my friend... we thought [hoped LOL] they'd never end!!" :dance: :speed boat:

Strange how people with full keel and skeg become relatively complacent re grounding and/or flotsam. At least I know I have.

I'd like to learn the %age of annual pleasure craft prop damage stats for comparisons to single engine protected prop and twin engine exposed props.

Myself: Having owned and run both engine/prop type boats over the decades... I know that with twin engine [exposed prop] boats my entire time at helm is heavily filled with carefully watching [listening for alarm] on the depth sounder as well as diligently peering out and around for flotsam. With single screw having large keel and full skeg... I'm defiantly less acute in my overall cautionary piloting procedures regarding prop protection.

Is that more praise for the sacred Tolly? lol

Reactions: Art
a prop is not fully protected unless it has a sturdy cage around the prop.
How the cage will effect the boat handling??? I dont know.

Late 60's early 70's I spent considerable time on and about Lobster Boats... in the Camden, Rockport, Rockland - Penobscot Bay region. I've got stories... not to be printed! Early 70's I built and owned a tavern/restaurant in Camden "The Hunter" that catered to lobstermen, fishermen, loggers and construction workers. "Those were the days my friend... we thought [hoped LOL] they'd never end!!" :dance: :speed boat:

I would love to hear some of those stories!!

I'm always vigilant at the helm. There are very few upsides to hitting something in the water, regardless of the kind of boat you're in. That said, I'm definitely less concerned in a full-keel boat than one with exposed running gear.

I've shared this story before but it's worth telling again. Over 20 years ago, when we were looking to buy an American Tug 34, we took the boat on a sea trial. It was a new one, offered by a factory dealer. It was a beautiful sunny day on the Chesapeake Bay, just a light chop, everything was going wonderfully.

The dealer cajoled the Admiral into taking the helm, to show off how easily the boat handled. Despite her great reluctance, she did. Not 10 minutes later we ran directly onto an uncharted sandbar, doing about 16 knots.

She panicked, I worried and envisioned the next words I'd hear would be 'You break it you bought it!'. The dealer chuckled, took the helm, easily backed off by just putting the engine into reverse, a touch of the bow thruster, and we were back on our way again in less than a minute and continued with a thoroughly enjoyable sea trial (which sealed the deal and ended with me agreeing to buy the boat at the end of it).

I suspect things might have gone differently had it been a boat with exposed running gear (in hindsight I also wonder if the dealer might have intentionally set it up for us to hit the sandbar, knowing it would be a little demonstration of the ruggedness of the boat).

I've heavily favored full keel designs since then, as the next boat will also have. In the intervening years I owned a boat with no protection for the running gear (Sabreline 36) and one with a small keel that gave limited protection (Beneteau Swift Trawler 42), and in each of those my concern levels were always just a half notch higher.

Any protection for the prop and rudder is better than none!

On a 'downeast' (or other) boat the full keel is as much for performance characteristics, seakeeping abilities, reduced rolling, resistance to crosswinds, as for protection of the running gear (with the trade-off of more resistance resulting in slower speeds than a full planing hull).

What makes this Webbers Cove interesting to me is the combination of a full-keel yet semi-displacement design, with twin engines capable of speeds in the mid-teens, plus that uncommon true pilothouse style in a smaller size.

Most Downeast boats built today make at least mid teens speed...Without the second engine. The Webbers cove is an older DE design. Lots of the newer DE designs are semi displacement as well, but with Hard chines....Wesmacs, JC's (now Eastern), Muscle Ridge and the Wayne Beal 32.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom