Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks cardude. That was my teen project car, V8 powered of course.

Thanks cardude. That was my teen project car, V8 powered of course.

Oh cool. My sister drove a Vega with the stock 4 cylinder and it was not a great car according to my dad. Very susceptible to over heating and blown head gaskets is what he experienced.

Oh cool. My sister drove a Vega with the stock 4 cylinder and it was not a great car according to my dad. Very susceptible to over heating and blown head gaskets is what he experienced.

A girlfriend's family won one in a raffle. If I remember it was pretty much junk at 40K miles. About as good as the Ford Pinto. The V8 conversion was popular for a while. In my case a 327 small block, turbo 350 automatic, 355 posi rear. Pretty fun, but still a crappy car.

Last edited:
But those Vegas made great dragsters, back in the day. My cousin had 400hp in his. Scary ride.

I drove a 1974 pinto from CA to Maine and back for Christmas in late 1970's. Treacherous, wind swept snow storms. Colorado was a bear! Many TT's flipped on hwy sides. Pinto not too bad a car. Made it through unscathed with wife.

Talk about thread drift! Remember when Ford made Pintos in the color pink? A high school friend had one and could get the front wheels to bounce off the ground by flooring the gas while pumping the breaks while rocking his considerable bulk back and forth in the driver's seat. Needles to say, that car didn't last long.

I rear-ended a Pinto once. Idiot slammed on his brakes at a yellow light, I was behind him on a patch of ice, in a much, much heavier car.

Remember how it was all over the news that Pintos would explode if you rear-ended them?

I never saw a guy get out of a car so fast!

Unfortunately, there was no damage. And certainly not enough to blow it up.

What was this thread about again?

I rear-ended a Pinto once. Idiot slammed on his brakes at a yellow light, I was behind him on a patch of ice, in a much, much heavier car.

Remember how it was all over the news that Pintos would explode if you rear-ended them?

I never saw a guy get out of a car so fast!

Unfortunately, there was no damage. And certainly not enough to blow it up.

What was this thread about again?

So basically your fault? lol. Yes Pintos did have the fire problem. Maybe we need an interesting car thread! Gremlin anyone? Corvair? Yugo? lol

Nice looking boat and impressive tankage for water/ black/ gray. I'm sure the fuel burn is impressive as well, but so are all boats of that type..

I’ve never thought of the words “trawler” and “trimaran” as going together. Yet here we are: https://youtu.be/k7kQToTeE_E

They’ve just announced a fifty-footer. Given that they lean toward practical design instead of luxury, I’m guessing that the 50 will be “affordable” (for a 50-foot boat). The 56 has a 5000 nm range and basically sips diesel like an aperitif.

I’ve never thought of the words “trawler” and “trimaran” as going together. Yet here we are: https://youtu.be/k7kQToTeE_E

They’ve just announced a fifty-footer. Given that they lean toward practical design instead of luxury, I’m guessing that the 50 will be “affordable” (for a 50-foot boat). The 56 has a 5000 nm range and basically sips diesel like an aperitif.

A screaming deal at $1.2mm brand new at the current exchange rate!

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2022-trimaran-leen-56-7338880/

Here's an interesting boat I saw at Sakonnet Safe Harbor in Portsmouth Rhode Island yesterday: a North Aegean 30. It looked like a nifty little trawler. There was a thread with another spotting a couple of years ago. It seems to have been built in Turkey and sold by Capital City Yachts in Olympia WA. The company's website is now defunct, so they presumably went out of business.

I peeked inside. Nice layout with a dinette to port, an a forward cabin with a walk-around island berth. There are some old youtube videos out there as well. It reportedly was powered by a 80 hp Yanmar.

Attachments

• NorthAegean.jpg
    NorthAegean.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 41
Here's an interesting boat I saw at Sakonnet Safe Harbor in Portsmouth Rhode Island yesterday: a North Aegean 30. It looked like a nifty little trawler. There was a thread with another spotting a couple of years ago. It seems to have been built in Turkey and sold by Capital City Yachts in Olympia WA. The company's website is now defunct, so they presumably went out of business.

I peeked inside. Nice layout with a dinette to port, an a forward cabin with a walk-around island berth. There are some old youtube videos out there as well. It reportedly was powered by a 80 hp Yanmar.

I like it! Certainly not an open water boat but great little coastal cruiser

They don't
Some Muppet in marketing wants you to think that

Great fuel economy, multihull speed, lots of space and light, CE category A rating, ocean crossing range, what’s not to like?

Great fuel economy, multihull speed, lots of space and light, CE category A rating, ocean crossing range, what’s not to like?

Lots to like, but it's not a trawler
It's a power tri.

This is not a trawler either nor is it a cruising yacht but it crossed an ocean economically.

Don't let the marketing Muppets see it, who knows what label they'll slap on it.;)

SMR_LEC_130617_crazysailor_04.jpg

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/crazy-sailor-who-quit-teaching-13181462

This crosses oceans economically - NOT a trawler

planetsolar_london_river_thames_city_hall_worlds_largest_solar_boat_turanor_planet_solar.jpg

This also crossed oceans economically - NOT a trawler

1280px-Earthrace_in_Hamburg.jpg

Last edited:
Lots to like, but it's not a trawler
It's a power tri.

This is not a trawler either nor is it a cruising yacht but it crossed an ocean economically.

Don't let the marketing Muppets see it, who knows what label they'll slap on it.;)

SMR_LEC_130617_crazysailor_04.jpg

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/crazy-sailor-who-quit-teaching-13181462

This crosses oceans economically - NOT a trawler

planetsolar_london_river_thames_city_hall_worlds_largest_solar_boat_turanor_planet_solar.jpg

This also crossed oceans economically - NOT a trawler

1280px-Earthrace_in_Hamburg.jpg

Fair enough, but what makes any recreational vessel a trawler?

Fair enough, but what makes any recreational vessel a trawler?

A label from the Marketing Muppets for most. ;)

From a design point of view, load carrying full displacement hull shape is going to be a big part of it.

Last edited:
A label from the Marketing Muppets for most. ;)

From a design point of view, load carrying full displacement hull shape is going to be a big part of it.

I guess my semi-displacement Nordic Tug would be what they call “trawler style.” It looks a bit salty at least.

I like it! Certainly not an open water boat but great little coastal cruiser

I like it too! What I especially like about it is the walk-around decks, giving full access all around the boat. It makes for much easier single-handing, line handling and locking. Especially important to those of us who aren't as young as we used to be.

It's hard to find boats under 40-45 feet with true walk-around side decks anymore. Most people prefer to trade off for more cabin space. I guess I'm a rarity.

I think the closest comp to this is the Camano (now Helmsman) 31. That has better performance, but no side decks.

I succumb to the 'bigger is better' disease like most boaters. But realistically, this North Aegean would be everything I would need for the kind of boating we do. Too bad it's out of production.

My AT has Port and Starboard walk-around about 8 inches wide and no railing.LOL
I would be more than satisfied if the port walk-around was zero, double the width of the starboard walk-around, with railing.
Hey, I cant have have everything on a little bitty 34ft boat even if you call it a 36ft boat.

Interesting Boats

Here are a couple of boats I found interesting. Location Lulu's Homeport Marina Orange Beach, Alabama. Lulu is Jimmy Buffet's sister.
The steel trawler is Ulysses (and for sale) the sailboat is "Old Squaw"

Liked both. They can take some seas for ocean voyages. Not so good is limited view, few small windows needed for sea protection.
Captainpontoon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom