Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #10581
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 10,595
I noticed a lot of galvanized piping that, IMO, should be replaced with bronze.
Maybe the 'need' is not so demanding in fresh water but....

Now, where to put the A/C??

I must be missing something.... 'How to raise and lower the mast without using a crane.'
__________________
Two days out the hospital after a week in the hospital because of a significant heart attack.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #10582
Guru
 
HTurner's Avatar
 
City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I noticed a lot of galvanized piping that, IMO, should be replaced with bronze.
Maybe the 'need' is not so demanding in fresh water but....

Now, where to put the A/C??

I must be missing something.... 'How to raise and lower the mast without using a crane.'



Mast is probably in a pulpit... just hinges forward. The boom is used as a lever.


Nice boat.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #10583
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,276
Interesting boats

Wow that’s super cute!

Reminds me of a Michael Kasten style.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #10584
Senior Member
 
City: lockhart
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 381
Perhaps this one...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...l-79--2638999/
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #10585
Guru
 
HTurner's Avatar
 
City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 500
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ctory-3863117/
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:40 AM   #10586
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
Not my style, but if you plan to cross oceans should do the job.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #10587
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's so Trawlerist of you!!!!!!!!
Al: Couldn’t you use your influence to make “Trawlerist” a descriptive member category like Guru, especially for us full-displacement, slow moving enthusiasts? (Notice, I didn’t say “purists”).
__________________
Larry

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:49 AM   #10588
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Neat!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #10589
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Neat!!

That one resembles my boat, but mine is not as “cute” IMO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	119837
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #10590
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That one resembles my boat, but mine is not as “cute” IMO.

Attachment 119837
I recognized it as an Island Packet and owned one but never saw something quite like it. What's the history?
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #10591
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
Interesting boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I recognized it as an Island Packet and owned one but never saw something quite like it. What's the history?

It’s a unicorn!

It was built as a 2008 Island Packet PY Cruiser, which was basically an SP Cruiser (their motorsailer) but with no mast. I ran it like that for a couple of years then had the short stabilizing rig professionally added by Mack Sails a few years ago before we went to the Bahamas, and it works really well. Plus with the right wind I can pull back on the throttle and save fuel when underway.

The lines all run back the the cockpit and the jib is self tending, so she is super easy to sail solo.

I’m not using her much lately however, so thinking about selling. Maybe after one more Bahamas trip this winter.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #10592
Guru
 
Alaskaflyer's Avatar
 
City: Reno, Nevada
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That one resembles my boat, but mine is not as “cute” IMO.

Attachment 119837
Maybe not, but yours looks more practical in a few ways.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #10593
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It’s a unicorn!

It was built as a 2008 Island Packet PY Cruiser, which was basically an SP Cruiser (their motorsailer) but with no mast. I ran it like that for a couple of years then had the short stabilizing rig professionally added by Mack Sails a few years ago before we went to the Bahamas, and it works really well. Plus with the right wind I can pull back on the throttle and save fuel when underway.

The lines all run back the the cockpit and the jib is self tending, so she is super easy to sail solo.

I’m not using her much lately however, so thinking about selling. Maybe after one more Bahamas trip this winter.
Very nice! Might be an option for me some day. Is it capable of sailing with no motor or mostly combination of both? I'm guessing motor only would be hull speed around 7-8 knts?
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #10594
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
It can sail without the motor in an emergency get home situation, but very slowly and possibly not in the direction you want to go. Will not point into the wind at all without the engine running.

I run the boat around 6.5 knots usually.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #10595
Guru
 
HTurner's Avatar
 
City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It can sail without the motor in an emergency get home situation, but very slowly and possibly not in the direction you want to go. Will not point into the wind at all without the engine running.

I run the boat around 6.5 knots usually.

How many square feet of sail do you have between the two sails?
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #10596
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
It can sail without the motor in an emergency get home situation, but very slowly and possibly not in the direction you want to go. Will not point into the wind at all without the engine running.

I run the boat around 6.5 knots usually.
No sailboats points into the wind well, especially island packets. Did they ever stop using aluminum for their water and holding tanks? That was the one weakness I am aware of for Island Packets and something they would not stand behind when they eventually leak and need costly replacement.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #10597
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
Interesting boats

377 square feet of sail total.

Top of the mast is 40’ above waterline so it can go under the Okeechobee RR bridge. I’ve done it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5536.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	119840
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #10598
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
377 square feet of sail total.

Top of the mast is 40’ above waterline so it can go under the Okeechobee RR bridge. I’ve done it.

Attachment 119840
Not a lot of sail area for that boat, but I know that's not its main mission. A more traditional genoa would help. Wonder if they made any with their normal cutter rig.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #10599
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
No sailboats points into the wind well, especially island packets. Did they ever stop using aluminum for their water and holding tanks? That was the one weakness I am aware of for Island Packets and something they would not stand behind when they eventually leak and need costly replacement.

Water tanks are fiberglass. It has a composting toilet (Nature’s Head) so no holding tank or hose smell.

The chain plates (another IP weakness on some older boats) are externally mounted and not incased in fiberglass, so easy to inspect.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #10600
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,937
That's good to know. Older IPs used aluminum tanks which eventually will fail and are not easily replaced.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012