Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somebody buy this before I do something stupid and mess up my plans.

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/d/hampstead-nimble-vagabond-21/7195050657.html

Nice verrry-little boat. Noticed photos only show young children on or about. Does it fit adults?? LOL

That said: My family of five [when we three boys were quite young] spent years of some times weeks on end cruising aboard a 1948 Chris Craft Express. And, dad was 6'3". So I know it can be done with lots o' fun!! :speed boat:

Somebody buy this before I do something stupid and mess up my plans.

If the style suits your boating plans, you aren't 6'5", and especially if you boat solo.... it looks pretty slick to me. In some ways I like the look and the layout better than the larger Nomad (which is sort of an aisle plan with the berth split and right at the companionway).

I like it. Can't you just see yourself tucked up into a quiet, shallow anchorage sipping coffee. Or cruising virtually silently along a canal....

I like it! Simplistically elegant. ... Does it have a head and sink?

The brochure shows a galley port-side aft. The space across from it to stbd is (I believe) a waist-height counter that flips up to turn into a privacy wall for the head that lives beneath it (have seen that in other Nimbles - clever use of space).

Attachments

• Nimble Vagabond brochure specs.jpg
    Nimble Vagabond brochure specs.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 92
Nice verrry-little boat. Noticed photos only show young children on or about. Does it fit adults?? LOL

That said: My family of five [when we three boys were quite young] spent years of some times weeks on end cruising aboard a 1948 Chris Craft Express. And, dad was 6'3". So I know it can be done with lots o' fun!! :speed boat:

It would be just me at a whopping 5'8" 200lbs and dropping.

If the style suits your boating plans, you aren't 6'5", and especially if you boat solo.... it looks pretty slick to me. In some ways I like the look and the layout better than the larger Nomad (which is sort of an aisle plan with the berth split and right at the companionway).

I like it. Can't you just see yourself tucked up into a quiet, shallow anchorage sipping coffee. Or cruising virtually silently along a canal....

That's the thing. My plans have drastically changed since March this year. That boat is damn temping though.

I like it! Simplistically elegant. If the size is right for you, you would not spend alot of time on maintenance. Does it have a head and sink?

I'm not sure on that one but they have a small galley and usually come with a cassett toilet. If not, I can add those things.

The brochure shows a galley port-side aft. The space across from it to stbd is (I believe) a waist-height counter that flips up to turn into a privacy wall for the head that lives beneath it (have seen that in other Nimbles - clever use of space).

Good info. I did not know that. :thumb:

I like the Nimble boats. I do indeed find them interesting. I walk past a Nomad every time on the way to my boat. I think it would be a fun little boat to cruise the intercoastal with. Not so sure about it here. Pick your weather window, I guess.

Last edited:

Often a similar cute ol' Dorsett for sale in Norcal. Some in good condition, some need to be salvaged - others in between.

That $8K+ price is tall compared to this area.

Can tell you from being on a duplicate Dorsett with a duplicate good running Merc 90 hp in early 1990's - that, it ain't very fast with that much power. There were three of us aboard [600 lbs+/-]. Hard to get on plane and I doubt it did much past 18 knots WOT.

Last edited:
“That $8K+ price is tall compared to this area”

It’s been listed for awhile

When are you going to make an offer???

Seems like a lot of money for a near-50 year old wood boat. But it for $200k. Immediately dump another $200k at the shipyard. Total investment of $400k for something you could immediate turn around and offload for 1/3 that.

Yes, I am not comfortable with a wooden hull boat but, the Turtle submersible was constructed of wood.

I wonder if that hull is planked or sheet of plywood?

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of money for a near-50 year old wood boat. But it for $200k. Immediately dump another $200k at the shipyard. Total investment of $400k for something you could immediate turn around and offload for 1/3 that.

Unfortunately... for that really nice [wood] boat... that is fully correct.

Unfortunately... for that really nice [wood] boat... that is fully correct.

Plus there are fewer craftsman who can install planks and caulk the seam correctly.

When was the last time you used a hammer and caulking iron and caulking cotton?
My brief experience was about 65 years ago.

Plus there are fewer craftsman who can install planks and caulk the seam correctly.

These skills still exist, but they are extremely localized to a few geographical areas: Maine comes to mind, not Florida. If you and your boat are in the wrong place at the wrong time you may be SOL.

Often a similar cute ol' Dorsett for sale in Norcal. Some in good condition, some need to be salvaged - others in between.

That $8K+ price is tall compared to this area.

Can tell you from being on a duplicate Dorsett with a duplicate good running Merc 90 hp in early 1990's - that, it ain't very fast with that much power. There were three of us aboard [600 lbs+/-]. Hard to get on plane and I doubt it did much past 18 knots WOT.

I have an 18’ Winner open OB boat. Should need more power than that 17’ Dorsett with a much flatter bottom. The Winner is quite deep and she has a 60hp Suzuki. Runs about 25 and hasn’t had any problems getting on plane. Maybe the Dorsett w the 600lbs of man on board had water soaked stringers or water between them.
Re my boat I powered it just for Chris and I and a little light on what gear is onboard. Hasn't been in the water since we got back from Alaska.

Last edited:

It's always cracked me up how the negative consensus explodes when a wooden boat is mentioned on here. Any boat can cost you dearly depending on condition, and even after the most thorough of survey, it's still somewhat of a crap shoot. The boat I referred to, at least to me anyways, has great lines, appears to be in great shape and doesn't seem way out of whack price-wise. Now, I'd only consider a woodie if i had covered moorage, which I do, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) 40' is max length I could squeeze in there. I really like the lines of the older Alaskans and the rare GB's, like the one shown here.
I had a boat house neighbor that had a wood Jones Goodell from the 60's that he owned for nearly 30 years. He did all his own maintenance which consisted mainly of sanding and painting. Some cabin rot here and there, but a helluva lot easier to deal with than a rotten fiberglass core, but all dooable with what I would call above average woodworking skills, but not crazy. He also cruised the hell out of that boat, enough to wear out the old Cat 3208, and replaced it. Never had a sprung plank, no fasteners replaced or any issues with the hull.
During High School I worked for a boat builder that built fishing boats for Bristol Bay and some small crabbers. The carpenters there were top notch and several made extra dough doing repairs on existing wood hulled fishing boats some going on 80+ years old that are still going strong. Here we have Port Townsend that has many accomplished wooden boat carpenters along with the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding. My point is, given the opportunity in this area (PNW), wooden boat ownership may be a more realistic choice, or at least worth considering more so than in other parts of the country.

Early to mid 1960's.

look closely at that boat, she doesn't need anywhere near that kind of money.. she looks almost perfect ( I am a recovering ex grand banks wood boat owner) so I do have some history with them. The biggest issue with a GB was the fuel tanks and the window frames.

That is a very rare GB
HOLLYWOOD

look closely at that boat, she doesn't need anywhere near that kind of money.. she looks almost perfect ( I am a recovering ex grand banks wood boat owner) so I do have some history with them. The biggest issue with a GB was the fuel tanks and the window frames.

That is a very rare GB
HOLLYWOOD

When young, in New England - I was often aboard and worked on wood boats; for years in boat yards and on dad's different boats.

Three types of wood boats:

1. Wood boat that is not worth saving
2. Wood boat that can be saved with lots of effort and $$$$
3. Wood boat in good condition that requires love but is a great piece of art

Only #3 is worth owning. So... if you are going to get into owning a wooden boat - you better be able to determine if it's a #1, #2 or #3. And, you better know how to keep it in the #3 category. > > > Or Else...!!!

It’s amazing to me to hear guys talking about wood boats as if they were ugly monsters about to step on you. It is ignorance (not in a bad way) that drives these thoughts. Plastic boat owners just don’t understand the wood creature. Understanding is lacking.
Whereas wood boats were probably more normal than FG boats ever will be. Much more. Think about it. I think only rare individuals in the fifties ever thought wood boats would ever not be the very widespread norm. After all wood boats had been conceived, designed, built and operated for thousands of years.

Now plastic boat users are saying that they are more worthless than good smelling dog ****.

Last edited:
Now plastic boat users are saying that they [meaning wooden boats] are more worthless than good smelling dog ****.

Eric - Take two aspirin. Get a good nights sleep. You may feel better in the morning - :socool: :ermm: :flowers:

Last edited:
Eric - Take two aspirin. Get a good nights sleep. You may feel better in the morning - :socool: :ermm: :flowers:

It is called progress.
Wooden hulled boats are beautiful but, their upkeep is more than I want to experience.
May I point out, many of the UK steel hulled canal boats are over 100 years old. I cant seem to find a wooden hull canal boat. SHRUG

Back
Top Bottom