Old 09-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #6021
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
This is interesting for $13,500. 38ft Owens Sedan Flybridge. Maybe a scam.

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/...685663106.html

I don't see that as scam.

The ol' Owens Concord and their other model lines were well built, spacious, comfortable and pretty good general-sea-condition tenders. Boat that age has just about hit rock bottom for deduction values. Note that as the ad mentioned... her twins need new carbs... don't be surprised if the engines are the originals with many hours and little to no life remaining. If I were to contemplate getting that ride I'd have professional marine mechanic inspect both engines first. Then, if they seem to be good enough for at least another 5 to700 hours run time I'd make an offer. 6 to 7K would be my starting price!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #6022
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Maybe for some the pleasure to build something from your own hands is priceless.
Ask Hendo I am sure he will have the right answer.

L
There are two kinds of people who "build" things. A lot of people say "I built my house." Usually it means they told someone the details of the house they wanted and that someone actually built it. Rarely does it mean that they were out there cutting and nailing stuff together or pouring the concrete, let alone doing the structural design work.

Same thing goes for people who "built" their boat. Mostly it is just telling some yard to put this there and that here. The actual details and labor of doing it successfully are left to the boat yard. The people who are "building" the boat might visit the yard from time to time to see how it is going.

However, there are some people who built their boat in the conventional sense of "building". This includes sourcing the materials, cutting and shaping, assembly, and finishing. I expect that there are more people who built their boat in this sense than those the built their house the same way.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #6023
Guru

City: Boston Area
A custom house seems normal to me, but the entire boat building process seems like a "one-off" couldn't come close to a mass produced vessel. It would almost be like trying to custom build a car from scratch.

The other things is I would hate to start second guessing my boat design when the weather gets dicey. With a mass produced boat, you know your design has endured thousands of hours of sea time and testing. If there was some design oversight it would have been discovered by now. I guess I would never want anything that didn't have a 3 digit hull number. I know that's just me though. Different strokes for different folks.

I am glad there are people that do though...there are some truly beautiful boats out there. Sometimes everything comes together with the perfect lines and proportions and balance, and its like artwork.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #6024
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
But "building" a custom house is just telling someone else where you want stuff. The person "building" the house does not ever touch a tool and would probably get yelled at if they did.

Then during the final inspection, the "builder" says "Why it that there?" and the reply is "Because that's were you told us to put it."

Or maybe "Who's stupid idea was it to put that there?"

"Yours."
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #6025
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Here's one. I can't remember if it's been posted on here or not, but I've looked at it many times on YW. It's a wooden Diesel Duck 40, which may not qualify for most as an 'interesting boat,' but I like it. I pass it regularly going in and out of Chicago, and have always admired it. Aside from it being wooden, which most buyers (myself included,) tend to avoid, I really don't see anything wrong with it. I can only conclude that it's been on the market for so long because it's overpriced. I really do like it, though. The interior is so warm and inviting and cozy. I could live on this one. She's certainly capable of the sort of coastal cruising I'd like to do.

An interesting note I only discovered today is that they documented the entire build in photos, and have provided a link for tire kickers like myself to drool over. I have to admit, it's a good idea. It's got me more interested.

Part of me hopes for the seller's sake that it goes soon, the rest of me hopes that it's still on the market in another few years, maybe 30k less. Yeah, she's a wooden boat, but she's practically a NEW wooden boat.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #6026
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Here's one. I can't remember if it's been posted on here or not, but I've looked at it many times on YW. It's a wooden Diesel Duck 40, which may not qualify for most as an 'interesting boat,' but I like it. I pass it regularly going in and out of Chicago, and have always admired it. Aside from it being wooden, which most buyers (myself included,) tend to avoid, I really don't see anything wrong with it. I can only conclude that it's been on the market for so long because it's overpriced. I really do like it, though. The interior is so warm and inviting and cozy. I could live on this one. She's certainly capable of the sort of coastal cruising I'd like to do.

An interesting note I only discovered today is that they documented the entire build in photos, and have provided a link for tire kickers like myself to drool over. I have to admit, it's a good idea. It's got me more interested.

Part of me hopes for the seller's sake that it goes soon, the rest of me hopes that it's still on the market in another few years, maybe 30k less. Yeah, she's a wooden boat, but she's practically a NEW wooden boat.
Nice boat... $$$ too much!!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #6027
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I know nothing about wooden boats so they scare me, but that one sure is nice looking. Iíve always admired the Buehler ducks.

It does seem overpriced for a wooden boat to me, but again, I know nothing. But like you say, itís almost new. How do you know it was built ďcorrectlyĒ. I assume itís home built?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #6028
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I know nothing about wooden boats so they scare me, but that one sure is nice looking. Iíve always admired the Buehler ducks.

It does seem overpriced for a wooden boat to me, but again, I know nothing. But like you say, itís almost new. How do you know it was built ďcorrectlyĒ. I assume itís home built?

Iím with you there, Dude. I really donít know much about wooden boats, so I honestly couldnít say. I think thatís why I liked the fact that the build process was documented. At least I could show the pictures to a surveyor and see if it means anything to them. It was a one-off built by a pair of guys at a chicago boat yard. Theyíve done restorations and repairs on a few other old woodies, that seemed to come out nicely to my untrained eye.

I suppose lack of resale value is probably enough reason to hold most people back. I might be willing to take the risk, but I doubt Iíd ever be able to get any of my money back if I had to sell.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #6029
Guru

On the flip side, if you really wanted a Duck this would be a cheaper way to get one.

If you keep it a long time resale obviously becomes less of an issue. See how I justified that expense for you! [emoji23]
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #6030
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
I’m with you there, Dude. I really don’t know much about wooden boats, so I honestly couldn’t say. I think that’s why I liked the fact that the build process was documented. At least I could show the pictures to a surveyor and see if it means anything to them. It was a one-off built by a pair of guys at a chicago boat yard. They’ve done restorations and repairs on a few other old woodies, that seemed to come out nicely to my untrained eye.

I suppose lack of resale value is probably enough reason to hold most people back. I might be willing to take the risk, but I doubt I’d ever be able to get any of my money back if I had to sell.
I remember one of my many concerns about wooden boats, seams, caulking cotton, caulking irons, hammers, seams fail to swell fully closed so the seams leak, dry rot. Wooden boat are classical and romantic but.....
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #6031
Guru

Quote:
On the flip side, if you really wanted a Duck this would be a cheaper way to get one.

If you keep it a long time resale obviously becomes less of an issue. See how I justified that expense for you! [emoji23]

Hey thanks! Thatís the kind of rationalization I can get behind! Anybody wanna take a road trip to Chi-Town??
Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #6032
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Hey thanks! Thatís the kind of rationalization I can get behind! Anybody wanna take a road trip to Chi-Town??
If wood really is ok, why wasn`t that 600ft+ baby you command made of wood?
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #6033
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
If wood really is ok, why wasn`t that 600ft+ baby you command made of wood?

She ainít fiberglass either! Lol.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #6034
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
She ainít fiberglass either! Lol.
Well, they all rot,but in different ways. There is a choice: wood rot/worms, osmosis, or rust. Ain`t choice wonderful?
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #6035
Art
Guru

Give me a well laid-up, high quality material, fiberglass boat with good gel coat surface any time... for lowest general maintenance needs/costs and less chance of severe breakdown from general elements and natural conditions.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #6036
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Give me a well laid-up, high quality material, fiberglass boat with good gel coat surface any time... for lowest general maintenance needs/costs and less chance of severe breakdown from general elements and natural conditions.
And for that you will generally pay many many many times more.

For us it was buy a timber now and retire at 50 and have all our income producing assets plus many years of life to enjoy it
Or work another 20 years then sell everything to buy comparable plastic, have no income and die a year later.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #6037
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

For us it was buy a timber now and retire at 50 and have all our income producing assets plus many years of life to enjoy it
Or work another 20 years then sell everything to buy comparable plastic, have no income and die a year later.

Great point. Get on the water ASAP, because in the long run we are all dead.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #6038
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Great point. Get on the water ASAP, because in the long run we are all dead.
Yep, have had a few mates around our age drop off their perch in recent years working their ring out to make sure they retire wealthy enough to buy whatever they want.

If only they realised that you can't buy time.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #6039
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

I agree with you to a large extent.

Enjoy your [big] woody!

I well understand wood boats. Grew up on em. Worked maintaining them for decades. At this age I enjoy our little, well equipped, simple upkeep... fiberglass play toy... pleasure boat!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #6040
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Monk designed this?

Woodie for sale in Seattle. Not many pics and looks like it could use a lot of TLC.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/195...g#.W5pIH_YpARA
Attached Thumbnails
Monk Woodie.jpg